Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Routers & Megavideo

• 21-02-2011 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

With the older Netopia Routers from Eircom, you could type in its ip address into firefox and restart the connection. The whole process would take about 10 seconds and you'd be up and running with a fresh 72 minutes of Megavideo.

With the new routers you can still do the same thing, but the whole process is extremely slow [can take up to 2 minutes] as the modem needs a full reboot. The firmware seems pretty exhaustive in all it's options [I haven't a clue as to what most of them do!] So I've settled for the "reboot" option.

There must be a quicker way?

ZyXel P-600HW-TI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I take it you're not right next to the router, to just turn it off and back on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jimaneejeebus

the_syco wrote: »
    I take it you're not right next to the router, to just turn it off and back on?

No, my router is at the other end of the house! Even if ot was right beside me, it would still be way slower than the old netopia 'restart connection' way of doing things. I just type in the IP address of the router into firefox and then access the routers' firmware.

On mac you find this by going to 'about this mac'>'more info'>'network'>'your networking adapter'>'router'

On xp if I recall, you go into, my network places......something something
    On 7, there's a new thing called 'my networks' or something.

It's also quite possible that if you just type 192.168.1.254 into firefox it might work.

When you find it, just type it into your web browser and you'll see all the options for your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aye, http://192.168.1.254 then to "Expert Mode", and finallyt clicking on "Restart Router" would usually do the trick. Will check out what model I have when I get home.

the_syco wrote: »
    Aye, http://192.168.1.254 then to "Expert Mode", and finallyt clicking on "Restart Router" would usually do the trick. Will check out what model I have when I get home.

Thanks syco....and if you have the same one I have [see op] see if you can find a 'restart connection' type thing as opposed to a 'reboot modem' type thing. There's loads of options in there, I just wouldn't have a clue which one to choose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

The older netopia models used to have a disconnect button under the line stats and this would give you a new ip address without having to restart the whole router literally takes 10 seconds that way so you can continue using megavideo without any probs these new zyxel routers are crap !!

• Advertisement

jay93 wrote: »
    The older netopia models used to have a disconnect button under the line stats and this would give you a new ip address without having to restart the whole router literally takes 10 seconds that way so you can continue using megavideo without any probs these new zyxel routers are crap !!

Surely there's a quicker way with the zyxel routers? I mean the plethora of configuration options in the firmware says to me that some smart person here would be able to find a quick workaround that would allow you to change your IP quickly without a reboot.....

It will take someone a lot more knowledgeable than me to find it though!

bumpy

Advertisement