Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuam traffic

Options
  • 21-02-2011 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Expect delays on the N17 sorry!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why? What's going on? More roadworks starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I think there are roadworks in Tuam on N17 between Lidl and the Gilmartin road.
    There's several other roadworks around the town

AA Traffic Update
    Emergency works will be carried out on the N17 Tuam/Galway Rd in Tuam until 6am Wed 23rd Feb
    The N17 will be reduced to one lane from the Gilmartin Road Jct towards Galway
    http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=117809

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Had to do a few trips through the town this evening and it was a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

There's nothing worse than being stuck in a long line of traffic but being able to see your house just near the end of the traffic jam. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tuam is a complete disaster. Fair enough they have to do the work but as usual the planning is non existent from what I can see. There's no thought put into traffic management, even when you take the back roads there's more road works on those, then when you do get into town your slapped with a parking ticket for your troubles.

I avoid Tuam like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

ScumLord wrote: »
    Tuam is a complete disaster.....then when you do get into town your slapped with a parking ticket for your troubles. I avoid Tuam like the plague.

Sorry you feel that way, but parking charges are very cheap in Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

It was chronic going through the town today. Even the junctions which are governed by traffic lights were up in a heap. They should just turn off the traffic lights when there is this sort of a backlog. Think the stop/go system will end in the early hours of Wednesday morning. No bloody harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I had to go to Milltown the other day and I'm not messin' but I swear there was more pot-holes there on my return back to Tuam town! :rolleyes::eek::eek:

What an absolute nightmare ..... It's just never-ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Too right there's no planning gone into it as usual...

Trying to get out of Tuam last night around 9.00pm on the Galway road....
    All traffic was coming through red and green lights into the town, no traffic getting out for ages.....Artics driving down the side roads then...:eek:

The road outside Glynns is still closed - I make it around 3 months at this stage.....apparently they ran out of Tar...!! and couldn't open it up....

They went ahead and closed off Foster place though, meaning all traffic had to go up Old road to get out of the town.....Absolute madness as the lights at the top stay green for 3 or 4 seconds at most....

If I was Glynns, i'd be sueing the town or county council for this cock up.....They have to be struggling to stay open at this stage...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

My mam said last night that the traffic was well past the Ard Rí on the Milltown said, all the way up to the Galway Road roadworks...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

Does anyone else think that the road finish after completed sections is a bloody disgrace. I mean they had the perfect chance to put a nice smooth finish down and instead to me it seems the same as ever if not worse than before especially at the Weir Rd / Galway Rd corssroads. What is it about roadworks here, why do we put up with poor quality work ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Does anyone else think that the road finish after completed sections is a bloody disgrace. I mean they had the perfect chance to put a nice smooth finish down and instead to me it seems the same as ever if not worse than before especially at the Weir Rd / Galway Rd corssroads. What is it about roadworks here, why do we put up with poor quality work ??

Its rubbish alright.. From what I hear the Galway road surface is not a finished surface. Once the works are complete, this will be resurfaced to the level of the manholes, which are raised up at the moment.

the roads that were completely closed off seem to have been finished properly, so I would hope the rest of the town would be the same, although I can't ever see the roads being that great..they just don't seem to care.

From the railway station back up Vicar st to the square is fairly crap as well. I'm not sure if this is gonna be resurfaced....:eek:

Its basically the best you can expect from a west of Ireland finish...
    this whole saga would not even arise in the East, probably because a bypass wouldve been in place before works began..

Jesus, even Claremorris knew that much....:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭castor 1

It's only been going on for over a year so far !
    I'm sure they will have it sorted out this time next year :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

A bypass would be sweet. I take it that that has been knocked on the head then for the foreseeable future ?? When is the works supposed to be finished by ? I take it they're making it last ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Tuam dig supposed to finish in April 2011. A spanish consortium has now expressed an interest in building the Gort to Tuam motorway including the Tuam bypass but the whole thing has to be retendered. Could be next year before the whole process is sorted out and it would take three years for the project to be completed. It would start in Gort and end in Tuam. 2015 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

dec25532 wrote: »
    Tuam dig supposed to finish in April 2011. A spanish consortium has now expressed an interest in building the Gort to Tuam motorway including the Tuam bypass but the whole thing has to be retendered. Could be next year before the whole process is sorted out and it would take three years for the project to be completed. It would start in Gort and end in Tuam. 2015 at best.
    I used to think it was a good thing to have the Spanish build our roads because their roads are perfect in Spain but a friend worked on a Spanish run roadworks project in Ireland and apparently they haven't a clue how to deal with Irish terrain (may have changed now with experience). They have it easy in Spain when it comes to terrain, but I've heard they've lost machinery to sinking land and soft banked rivers.

Advertisement