Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical Writing in 2011. Any "must know" tools...

Options
  • 21-02-2011 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I worked as a technical writer a good few years ago. (2002-2005). At the time, I was only translating and formatting Word docs, and converting them to PDFs.

However, I would imagine the software I used during my postgrad could now be considered redundant, so I'm looking around for some "must have" industry tools in 2011.

I have been working in online marketing for the last 4 years, but would like to explore the area of technical writing again. It seems quite hard to get a job in it these days. That's one of the reasons I have been working in online marketing. I couldn't get a job as a technical writer when I came back from Australia 4 years ago.

I do notice most technical writing jobs are very specialized. It seems to be an advantage if you have a technical writing qualification and an engineering background for example. But, my background is humanities and languages.

So, I don't think just being able to write well alone is going to do it.

Has anyone any tips for me to get back on the technical writing wagon.

I am also going to try and do work for free just to get me back up to speed...

Advertisement