Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How you started supporting your team

• 21-02-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

I myself am a Spurs supporter and started following Tottenham in 1986. For most kids back then Liverpool was the team to follow. I remember reading in the paper one day that Tottenham beat Liverpol 1-0 and that some guy called Allen scored the only goal. I said Tottenham most be great if they can beat Liverpool and ever since I am a Tottenham fan.

So how did you come about supporting your club?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

*gets popcorn*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Spurs fan myself (obviously enough), don't really have a great reason, just saw them play a few times on the tellybox (can't remember who against) and took a liking to them straight away. Also, really didn't want to support United or Liverpool like almost everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

This actually generated a good discussion at the end of last summer OP, there was a nice thread here.

From reading that thread, amazing how nice and friendly this place is when it's summer time :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Because perry groves had ginger hair too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

*gets popcorn*

Doesn't take a genius to see where this is thread is going to go. :pac:

I support Bohs because my Dad does, and because my grandad played for them. Technically Shels or Home Farm (at the time) would of been closer to me though.

I support Arsenal because we lived over there for about a year and a half, and they were the closest team. Although I reckon I would of supported Arsenal anywhere we lived in London, as my aunt lives next to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

cos my dad lived in manchester in late 60's/early 70's, my brother was born over there and ive aunts and uncles there now just outside the city...

when i was growing up, it was united everywhere in my house, so id no choice really. my first united memory is the forest game when robbins scored the winning goal, listing to it on some crap radio with a poor 5live signal and jumping around the place when he scored. i was 7 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

United because of the high number of talented Irish alcoholic naer-do-wells on their books down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

Because my Dad does.

must have been the 95/96 season, football italia on channel 4 had AC Milans match where they clinched the title on live i just remember red and black confetti everywhere and mad crowd scenes, instantly fell in love with the club, i was only just gone 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

One of the first games I remember was the FA Cup Semi Final.
    Steel City Derby

Classic game and Sheffield Wednesday won. Was only a young lad and picked them as my team. Chris Waddle was immense

In later years, worked for a few months in Yorkshire and attended a few games

Match action from 6:55 here, how's that for a freekick!

Still support them, good times but mainly bad times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I don't. Still love the game but I really don't care for the tribal aspect of supporting a particular team any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Because David Beckham was the first love of my life...when I was 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

liverpool because of family

bohs because of atmosphere when brought to the cup final of 2000 and the aberdeen match when we knocked them out of the uefa cup sealed the deal, i have yet to see a match both domestically and internationally that would top the atmosphere that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm a Sunderland fan born and bred.

My grandad never missed a game at Roker Park for about 40 years and he was the one who took me to the Stadium of Light for the first time. I've been hooked ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Man Utd and liverpool because my mates supports them. Also, I like red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Because I played for the schoolboys and then living in Phibsboro it was an excuse to get me out of the house on a Friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Because I support my local pub......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Man Utd and liverpool because my mates supports them. Also, I like red.
    thought it was Chelsea because of the money?

Liam O wrote: »
    thought it was Chelsea because of the money?
    No, that's Leeds.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea, becasue we're loaded and win things. :rolleyes:

Follwoing them since that guy Roman "Money Bags" came to town, I might support Man Utd next year if they win the league, failing that Man City, they are also loaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

May 2003, 2-3 days after we beat Liverpool to qualify for the CL and a certain someone came in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

That_Guy wrote: »
    Because I support my local pub......
    Because I supply the local bar stools ..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

THFC wrote: »
    No, that's Leeds.;)
    I meant that MUSEIST only supports Chelsea because of the money, so it's a bit...RICH(:D) to give out about people supporting United and Pool ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

liverpool was just drilled into me as a boy growing up and robbie fowler was a ****ing hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lukker- wrote: »
    May 2003, 2-3 days after we beat Liverpool to qualify for the CL and a certain someone came in..

Around the same time as all Chelsea fans I see, well done -Lukker ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

My da brought me to the 93 cup final between Shels and Dundalk. I chose to cheer for Shels that day and they didnt just win the cup they won my lifelong support :cool:

gavredking wrote: »
    Around the same time as all Chelsea fans I see, well done -Lukker ;)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbO-sJ3nhMTTOM_40dA6CT8x4R7EAsXCCIrLPinhQParGdFZ2U

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Went to a Bohs game, enjoyed it, so kept going.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

What is the point of this?

People will state banal reasons that are personal to them, I like red, my mammy bought be that teams subbuteo kit, my brother supported the main rivals etc that are on the face of them nice stories, and the LoI fans will just queue up to mock the fakeness and vacousness of them all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

^^^ hahahah i dont support any1 but just follow teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

One of the first games I remember was the FA Cup Semi Final.
    Steel City Derby

Classic game and Sheffield Wednesday won. Was only a young lad and picked them as my team. Chris Waddle was immense

In later years, worked for a few months in Yorkshire and attended a few games

Match action from 6:55 here, how's that for a freekick!

Still support them, good times but mainly bad times

Fair play mate. Trust me, I know how you feel as a Sunderland supporter for the last 20 years. I'd really like to see Sheffield Wednesday back in the Premier League. A proper football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I support Bohs as my grandad played for them and my dad was a massive fan. Also, I enjoy going to matches regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

One day in primary school the coolest kid in my class decided to support Newcastle so I copied him (as did the rest of the lads in my class). We all still support them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

This was my first memory as a little lad football wise..supported Man united ever since..

I have a boy aged 12 now and ever since he could move i had Man United gear on him so now he follows them,could never have a kid growing up to be a Liverpool supporter!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Support Bohs because of my family really.

Supported Man Utd as a kid for no real reason other than that they were popular at the time. Stopped watching football when I was a teenager, only started becoming interested again in the last 4 years or so.

I support Wolves now. I lived there for a year, went to a couple of matches so started supporting them. I like the club attitude and team spirit. They're not rich or fancy but they work hard. Good a reason as any to support a team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

When I was 4 or 5 I was in my uncles pub and someone said because of my white blonde hair I looked like Peter Schmeichel. The rest is history :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I support Manchester United. I don't feel I have to justify myself to anyone, especially in a thread that is undoubtedly going to have a petty & nasty undertone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I support Manchester United. I don't feel I have to justify myself to anyone, especially in a thread that is undoubtedly going to have a petty & nasty undertone.
    Then why even reply to the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

My uncle and cousins are manc born and bred and my mam grew up there so I'd be disowned by them for supporting anyone else(also the reason I cheer on England), though my other uncle is a life long spurs supporter and tried to convert me in the early days probably explains why I've a soft spot for them. But its been around 20 years I've supported United and any kids I have will learn to follow them, if I had a son and he told me he was gay I could live with that but to come out and tell me he's a pool supporter disowned straightawa :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

I inherited my love of United from my Dad, I still remember the day I managed to save up enough pocket money to buy my first jersey, took me from my birthday in Feb to the start of the season, £40 i believe it was back then! Wore it proudly for the match that day only for the team to change at half time when they were losing because they couldnt see each other on the pitch! Absolutely gutted I was...!!

• Advertisement

VW 1 wrote: »
    I inherited my love of United from my Dad, I still remember the day I managed to save up enough pocket money to buy my first jersey, took me from my birthday in Feb to the start of the season, £40 i believe it was back then! Wore it proudly for the match that day only for the team to change at half time when they were losing because they couldnt see each other on the pitch! Absolutely gutted I was...!!

ye saved up for that horrible grey jersey:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Man United - I can't remember really, tbh. I think it's cos some alco gave me a keyring with United fixtures from the 99/00 season on it.:pac:
    My memories of things like that are always different whe I try to think, though,it's kinda weird.

Shamrock Rovers - Was looking for a team in the LoI and they were the first team I saw live, albeit a friendly against Real Madrid(:P), the fns wome over. I was actually really sad when Benzema scored to make it 1-0, despite never supporting them before. It was kida strange. Rovers are also the easiest club to get to from here, so it makes sense too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Used to support Utd - because as a kid 20 years ago it was Utd or Liverpool (maybe a Leeds here and there)
    Everyday arguments over who was better, they all supported liverpool because they 'were' the most successful club.
    We were united because they were becoming a successful club, sort of just enjoy any decent match nowadays though...not a huge Utd supporter anymore...but they'd be my preferred team in England.

- AC Milan in Italian football - my dad bought me a flag that was on my wall for years, also 1 of the first matches I remember was the 93/94 4-0 final vs Barcelona

-Barca in Spain, because was bought a jersey as a kid, didn't really follow them as much as the PL until a few years ago when we got Sky Sports in and could watch La Liga. Barca would be my main team, moreso than the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jim wrote: »
    Then why even reply to the thread?

The big rebel inside him made him do it.

I support Shels because I was brought to matches on a odd basis with my Dad when I was 13, took a few years of going till I got hooked and lucky for me I bought my first season ticket the season we got demoted.:rolleyes:

its awful muck tho that loi tho isnt it? nothin better to do on the weekend no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

partyndbs wrote: »

Oh-No-You-Di-Int%21-by-The-Penguin-Disagrees_lktTm5b8Hc8x_full%283%29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Thanks for your helpful and interesting input..............not

May as well lock it up now, we did get to 3 pages though so not too bad.

spot on pure sh1te id rather be off porking girls but too ugly to find one so i attend LOI to throw bottles at gards and bash grannys....we are a terrible bunch with no lives!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Manchester United - I supported them because every in my class was either a Utd, Newcastle or a Liverpool fan.

Shamrock Rovers - Family is from Ringsend, it's in my blood, plus I was dragged to a few games.

nah i mean ike you just like kinda grow out of it. i went to matches a bit when i was like 14/15 but it was full of nackers and fat people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement