Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How you started supporting your team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

partyndbs wrote: »
    nah i mean ike you just like kinda grow out of it. i went to matches a bit when i was like 14/15 but it was full of nackers and fat people.

Sound like St Pats:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

i went to matches a bit when i was like 14/15 but it was full of nackers and fat people.

Even after you stopped going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Supported Tottenham since Gazza's free-kick against Arsenal in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley in 1991.

Seeing as many people have followed the team their dad/family supported would you be inclined to nudge any offspring into following your chosen club? My first born will be decked out in Spurs colours from Day One anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

bonerm wrote: »
    I don't. Still love the game but I really don't care for the tribal aspect of supporting a particular team any more.
    Leeds fan, eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

1970 FA Cup Final ...B&W telly..... I (as a very young child obviously!) said I want the black team to win, my father thanfully said the white team. Chelsea won replay - the rest is history (allegedly). Still get called a JCL cos I'm Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

My Dad supported Leeds but I didn't really follow club football(always followed the internationals though regularly attended when I was younger fewer chances now but still get to the odd game) till late enough eventually settled with spurs because Robbie Keane played for them and he was my Hero didn't take long before I got really into it and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

1. Borussia Dortmund: I was born into a family of Borussia Dortmund supporters

2. Celtic: Thanks to Murdo McLeod joining Borussia Dortmund

3. Liverpool FC: King Kenny was my childhood idol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

its awful muck tho that loi tho isnt it? nothin better to do on the weekend no?

Yet you went out of your way to go through the reg process for the football forum just to troll LOI threads?

bohsman wrote: »
    Yet you went out of your way to go through the reg process for the football forum just to troll LOI threads?

Probably a dual account. Who else would be sad enough to go to that trouble otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Support Man United because my Grandmother was from Manchester and used to go to many a game from 30's onwards and even when she moved to Ireland she still go from time to time. Also my Dad helped me choose as he also a United fan.

I have cousins from Barcelona my aunt is married to son of well known ex player from 50-60's so have a soft spot for them although when United played Barca in CL in 09 I was still as gutted to have lost as bad as if it were Liverpool or anyone else.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

7 years old, living in North Yorkshire, with no interest in football. I started at a new school where the school bully made sure everyone was a Manchester City fan - this was 1968 - for those that remember, the last time City won the league.

I was asked which team I supported - I didn't provide an answer at that time, but that evening went home, and saw something on television (no idea why I was up so late) - a football score - Manchester United 4-1 Benfica - I had no idea what the European Cup was

So I went into school the following day, 30 May 1968, and declared my allegience to Manchester United.

The rest, they say, is history ...

I chose to go to University in Manchester. I've had a Season Ticket for 30 years or so, was in Rotterdam in 1991, the Nou Camp in 1999, Moscow in 2008. I've had the greatest moments of my life watching United, and to think, an alternative response, going along with the school bully, and I would have had a life of sheer misery .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

stovelid wrote: »
    United because of the high number of talented Irish alcoholic naer-do-wells on their books down the years.
    Coz your a glory hunter more like just like all united "fans" in Ireland.

^^^ hahahah i dont support any1 but just follow teams
    I could have sworn you were a Celtic fan.NOT

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're off.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Why dont you not support Hibs or Dundee then?:rolleyes:

If ever a case is "what you say is what you are" then this is it

• Advertisement

Why dont you not support Hibs or Dundee then?:rolleyes:

If ever a case is "what you say is what you are" then this is it
    Always Celtic for me.Have family in Glasgow.Case settled, thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

He happens to be a Shamrock Rovers fan, who hadn't won anything in quite some time before last season, I would very much doubt he is a glory hunter.

Always Celtic for me.Have family in Glasgow.Case settled, thank you very much.

Ever heard of Partick Thistle? Ah no your just glory hunter too right?

Ever heard of Partick Thistle? Ah no your just glory hunter too right?
    No.All my family are Celts. Not from the Partick area anyway.Closer to Parkhead in fact.

Should I start supporting an Irish team like Celtic, do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

stovelid wrote: »
    Should I start supporting an Irish team like Celtic, do you think?

Only if you have family from there, you're a gloryhunter otherwise.

No.All my family are Celts. Not from the Partick area anyway.Closer to Parkhead in fact.

But you still support a team who wins at least one trophy nearly every season and has won over double the amount of leagues that United or Liverpool have won,

So you would forgive a United Or Pool fan for thinking you were a glory hunter or any other Celt if did not know ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Beasty wrote: »
    7 years old, living in North Yorkshire, with no interest in football. I started at a new school where the school bully made sure everyone was a Manchester City fan - this was 1968 - for those that remember, the last time City won the league.

I was asked which team I supported - I didn't provide an answer at that time, but that evening went home, and saw something on television (no idea why I was up so late) - a football score - Manchester United 4-1 Benfica - I had no idea what the European Cup was

So I went into school the following day, 30 May 1968, and declared my allegience to Manchester United.

I chose to go to University in Manchester. I've had a Season Ticket for 30 years or so, was in Rotterdam in 1991, the Nou Camp in 1999, Moscow in 2008. I've had the greatest moments of my life watching United, and to think, an alternative response, going along with the school bully, and I would have had a life of sheer misery .....

That was the most successful unsuccessful bully ever!

You can tell from the responses who has only joined the soccer forum since the last "barstoolers" debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

When I was really young I used to support (I use this term very loosely though) Man Utd because it was just a bombardment of them and Liverpool and more of my friends supported Utd. I got really bored of watching soccer for ages and I could'nt believe how anybody could watch it and I started to follow the NBA religously for a few years and I just played basketball instead of soccer.

One of my classmates followed Chelsea and they were playing Barcelona in the Champions League back in 1998 and I watched the first tie where Chelsea won 3-1 so this lead me to watch the return leg and I was blown away at the way Barcelona played that night, I never seen a team play like them. The second the first half got underway they attacked and attacked and attacked and eventually ran out 5-1 winners. I thought it was brilliant and ever since that day I have supported Barcelona and I rarely miss a match, even cup games where the only way to see them is with a sh*tty stream thats barely viewable. I have supported them through the bad times and nowadays the good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Would not be a hardcore fan, Support a few different teams, Liverpool, AFC Wimbledon, and Sligo.

Liverpool started as a 11 years old. Knew very little about football, some people would argue still dont know much. It was the 89/90 season, a Monday morning after Liverpool beat Spurs 2-0, dont know what competition, league or cup, dont know if it was home or away, or who scored.

All I remember is a few of the boys in the class, suggested winding up our Spurs supporting teacher by singing 2-0 as we walked into class. I joined in the singing and have supported them since.

AFC Wimbledon. Lived quite close to Plough Lane growing up, the home of Wimbledon FC. My first ever game was as maybe as a 10 year old, against The Arsenal, went with a couple of friends and their Dad, Wimbledon won 1 or 2 nill. Aways kept an eye on them, but never too disapointed if they lost.

When they decided to move to Milton Keynes, lost all interest, and immediatly started taking a bigger interest in AFC Wimbledon, way back in the Combined Counties League, covering London and some of the surrounding counties.

Sligo. Was living in Ireland 7 or 8 years. Moved to Sligo during the 2006 season, quite close to the Showgrounds. Had no interest in the League of Ireland before this, and was hooked preety much straight away from the first few games I went to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

iz96j9.jpg

Grandparents got married in the church there so it's a pretty good reason to support Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

bought a dog off a family who used to holiday in barcelona, i think it was faith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Beasty wrote: »

This should be the story used in anti-bullying campaigns. STAND UP TO THEM AND YOU WILL END UP BETTER OFF!!!!

Both my parents are United fans, was taken to a game when 6 and hooked ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The aul lad supported United a bit so I followed suit, though we were a big GAA house for the most part. Plus there was a fella who sat beside me in school who used to pick his nose and eat it the whole time and he was a Liverpool supporter. They've always kinda turned my stomach ever since tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

They win LOAAAAAAAAADSSSSSS! (Barca)

but not so much to arouse suspicion/ hatred from peers. (R. Madrid)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

1978 Kop end with my Dad beating Spurs 7-0. Remember it like it was yesterday. A mighty day indeed and i was hooked after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lars1916 wrote: »
    1. Borussia Dortmund: I was born into a family of Borussia Dortmund supporters

I'd love to go and see a game at Dortmund. The atmosphere, along with the cheap ticket prices, standing areas and drinking in the stadium would be amazing. It's something I'll definitely do soon.

You never know, maybe Sunderland will be playing over there in Europe some day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

I started to support my team the same way 99% of football fans in the world start to support their team. I went to see my local team play. Very simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

My father was a United fan born in Manchester. Simple really. Plus I was always interested in the art of barstooling. I never had a local team to support in Ireland either. Sporting Fingal was my local club for the past year. Never bothered with them as I used to follow Kildare County until they were sent into abyss, I'm completely angry with the whole set up of the league. Maybe sometime I can find a club who last more than a handful of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They were within 3 miles of my house. I care far more about their success than any English/Scottish clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Arsenal 1979. Full of Irish players, north and south. O'Leary, Brady and Stapleton from the Republic. Beat Man U 3-2 in the FA cup final. Amazing game. Hooked on them since!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Well my Granddad used to follow Man U and Leeds because of George Best and John Giles, Jack and Bobby Charlton etc.
    So my Dad picked Leeds while my Uncle picked United.

My younger brother was always fully kitted out in Leeds gear when we were little, but I being the girl wasnt. Brothers room had Leeds bed clothes, curtains, lamp shade etc. I was stuck with pink (Yuck!)

but when I was about 13 or 14 Dad ask my brother did he wan to go see Leeds and he said no ( the muppet) so when he said he'd take me I was delighted. I liked football as much as the next person!

So my first real Leeds United experience was a 2-1 defeat by porthsmouth at Elland Road, and despite the score it was one of the best experiences of my life.

It was down hill for Leeds since then (til last year anyway). In 2005 when we were going through tough times, I read a book called White Heat about the best 11 Leeds players of all time, and I have been in love with the club since.
    havent been to Elland road in about 3 years due to financial reasons, but heading over next month with my dad and a few fellow fans. I cant wait to meet up with a bunch of Leeds supporters Ive gotten to know through Twitter (#twitterwhites) and various other boards.
    Best fans in the world. and Leeds are on their way back to where they should be.

sorry for the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd love to go and see a game at Dortmund. The atmosphere, along with the cheap ticket prices, standing areas and drinking in the stadium would be amazing. It's something I'll definitely do soon.

You never know, maybe Sunderland will be playing over there in Europe some day :D

I had a season ticket between 1986 and 2004 when I moved to Ireland. But they are still my home team, even if I'm not able to visit a match in the moment ;)

But don't know, it might be harder to get tickets if they are crowned champions, as there might be some undecided supporters who jump on the bandwagon :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

was stayin in my aunts house way back in 1976/77 i think and my 3 cousins who were a utd -arsenal-liverpool fans said i had to pick a team.
    i didnt like my cousin who supported arsenal and just had a fight with the liverpool supporting cousin so i picked UNITED.

to this day i thank god about that fight i had with my scouser cousin and i got the right team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Same sorta story,everyone in school was a Liverpool or United fan.We were allowed put posters up in the bathroom of what we wanted,I wanted to be different so put up a poster of a Man City player(cant remember who) so supported them ever since

Mister men wrote: »
    1978 Kop end with my Dad beating Spurs 7-0. Remember it like it was yesterday. A mighty day indeed and i was hooked after that.

That is recognised as one of Liverpools greatest performances in that era.

A Spurs team that contained a few world cup winners from that summer too:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

I don't actually have a reason why I support Celtic.

In fact my mum is from Ibrox (home of the Huns :D) but she supported Celtic and my dad did a bit too although he isn't really into football that much. So when I was small I always had Celtic jerseys and tracksuits and stuff so just kept supporting them.

Went through a phase from about 11 to 14 when I didn't really like to watch football that much and it seemed kinda boring (although I still watch the Champions League games - probably because I could stay up late LOL) and then when Setanta went bust it seemed as if the SPL wouldn't be on TV any more, and it became a kind of ''you don't know what have till it's gone'' situation so from last season I've watched almost every Celtic match I can whether it's on TV or I have to watch it online with laggy video and Arabic commentary.

When I was 7 or 8 I got a Deportivo La Coruna kit from Heatons for about €15 (they had Athletic Bilbao ones too) as did a few of my friends. It was around the time that they were doing really good in La Liga and in Champions League. From the on, I always played with them in FIFA :D. Then, last year, I started watching them on Sky Sports. They were challenging for a Champions League place, then a Europa League place and now they're fighting for a mid-table finish :D
    It could have been worse, imagine if I'd gotten the Bilbao kit.

Also took a liking to Spurs for a few years, they were playing Sunderland I think (could have been Southampton) and I asked my dad who they were and he said Spurs. I started to watch them from them, I also remember going to watch them on TV once, and the teams came up and it said ''Totenham'' and I was like, aren't Spurs playing? I was only 7 though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

peabutler wrote: »
    Grandparents got married in the church there so it's a pretty good reason to support Arsenal.
    Reckon I can go one better than that. I've circled the house I grew up in:

qjenf.jpg

Thats probably why I support Sligo Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

it's a pretty good reason to support Arsenal.

Not really, tbf.

My parents got married in Liverpool. I showed taste and restraint by not supporting them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

My dad used to live in Fulham and was a season ticket holder at Stamford Bridge, took me to my first game when I was 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

cos my dad lived in manchester in late 60's/early 70's, my brother was born over there and ive aunts and uncles there now just outside the city...

when i was growing up, it was united everywhere in my house, so id no choice really. my first united memory is the forest game when robbins scored the winning goal, listing to it on some crap radio with a poor 5live signal and jumping around the place when he scored. i was 7 at the time.
    Funny how there are never any posts on here with the equivalent experience at say, QPR, Huddersfield Town, Luton Town, Camden Town or Preston North End? Tons of Irish emigrated into those areas and they attracted decent support from the local Irish, so how come Ive never met any fanatic Irish fans of those clubs whose families got them into it? Its always Manchester or Liverpool or Arsenal or Celtic, with maybe Villa or another handful with EPLs team at a push. How strange. Where are the Partick Thistle fans whose dads lived in Glasgow? Come to think of it is there a single Hibernian fan on here? For a team founded by an Irish priest before the other one in Glasgow and actually called after our country, doesnt it seem weird that there isnt anyone attracted to their "Irish links"?

Its a real head scratcher.

Anyway, my dad took me to the football and Rovers was where he took me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

CiaranC wrote: »
    Funny how there are never any posts on here with the equivalent experience at say, QPR, Huddersfield Town, Luton Town, Camden Town or Preston North End? Tons of Irish emigrated into those areas and they attracted decent support from the local Irish, so how come Ive never met any fanatic Irish fans of those clubs whose families got them into it? Its always Manchester or Liverpool or Arsenal or Celtic, with maybe Villa or another handful with EPLs team at a push. How strange. Where are the Partick Thistle fans whose dads lived in Glasgow? Come to think of it is there a single Hibernian fan on here? For a team founded by an Irish priest before the other one in Glasgow and actually called after our country, doesnt it seem weird that there isnt anyone attracted to their "Irish links"?

Aren't Rovers the most succesful team in Irish history? Handy how that worker out for you isn't it.

Bullsh*tter.

CiaranC wrote: »

I am.

Man United be my team with Cork City but Hibs be my scottish team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sligo Rovers because I went at a young age with my family and it stuck. It's weird because a lot of teams in Ireland get slated for not getting to the kids when they're young but that's exactly how I ended up in the Showgrounds.
    My teacher was a huge fan and a couple of the players came in to see us one day, went home and said I wanted to go to the showgrounds!

Hamburg because I'm a secret skinhead I lived there and yeah. No back story, didn't have family who supported them etc..

• Advertisement
Advertisement