Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How you started supporting your team

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Every single Irish EPL fan's father was a regular attender of games it seems.
    Old Trafford and Anfield must have had about 300,000 Irish lads in every week in the 50s and 60s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

flahavaj wrote: »
    Aren't Rovers the most succesful team in Irish history? Handy how that worker out for you isn't it.

Bullsh*tter.
    Oooh touchy arent we!

Rovers have won a grand total of TWO trophies in the 20+ years I have supported them, the second coming just three months ago, a full SIXTEEN years after the first. The Irish football clubs on here are represented reasonably well by population demographics, not by how successful their respective clubs are, which is in marked contrast to the English ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Aren't Rovers the most succesful team in Irish history? Handy how that worker out for you isn't it.

Bullsh*tter.

I think the point was not about somebody who supports a big club from their own town, more that hardly anybody in Ireland (or at least on here) supports a different team. For example, the four Dublin LOI teams are pretty equally represented on here in terms of support.

Plus Rovers hadn't won anything for 16 years until this season) and had no ground between 1987-2009) so Bohs or Shels would have been a more obvious glory team in Dublin in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

CiaranC wrote: »
    Oooh touchy arent we!

Rovers have won a grand total of TWO trophies in the 20+ years I have supported them, the second coming just three months ago, a full SIXTEEN years after the first. The Irish football clubs on here are represented reasonably well by population demographics, not by how successful their respective clubs are, which is in marked contrast to the English ones.

I guess your aul lad was the glory hunter then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Every single Irish EPL fan's father was a regular attender of games it seems.
    Old Trafford and Anfield must have had about 300,000 Irish lads in every week in the 50s and 60s.

Where you get such a crazy figure. Just over 100 people have posted so far.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Where you get such a crazy figure. Just over 100 people have posted so far.
    He may have been the slightest bit hyperbolic

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

cos of my prick uncle i support the gooners, hate the guy but I can only thank him for influencing me as a young men

I guess your aul lad was the glory hunter then.
    I think you should stick to posting about Gah, at least its a subject you seem to know a bit about, unlike Irish football.

My old man was from Cabra, he went to Bohs and Ireland in Dalyer until the late sixties as they were his local team, local as in fifty metres local. Bohs never won a trophy while he went to them funnily enough, they were amateur for all that period. Maybe that was why he agreed to take me to Rovers when I bugged him :)

At the time fellas tended not to support a team as rigidly as they do now. You would go along to see whoever was at home on any given weekend and there was no segregation at matches. He used to cycle to Milltown or Tolka (to see Drums) the odd time too.

I think you should stick to posting about Gah, at least its a subject you seem to know a bit about, unlike Irish football.

My old man was from Cabra, he went to Bohs and Ireland in Dalyer until the late sixties as they were his local team, local as in fifty metres local. Bohs never won a trophy while he went to them funnily enough, they were amateur for all that period. Maybe that was why he agreed to take me to Rovers when I bugged him :)

At the time fellas tended not to support a team as rigidly as they do now. You would go along to see whoever was at home on any given weekend and there was no segregation at matches. He used to cycle to Milltown or Tolka (to see Drums) the odd time too.

If only you had such a laisez faire attitue to the poor aul EPL fans Ciaran bai.;)

I was quite the Waterford United obsessive back in my days down there by the way, didn't miss a down game there for about 5 years. Don't judge a book by its cover and all that.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Da brought me to pats in the early 80s, uncle was mad United/Bohs fan so leaned towards United when GOD went there, still do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

In the early '90s the lad who used to watch me after school was a huge Everton fan, a product of the successful '80s I imagine. He gave me all the merch and that, so I ended up taking after him and not my father (a Villa fan).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I was given a Liverpool jersey (crown paints one :-) ) by my German cousin as a 6 year old.

I grew up running up and down the stands of LOI grounds when my dad played in the reserve league. Never stuck though.

Wheres the guy from the last thread who picked his team while playing with his wrestling figures in front of the telly, he was hardcore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

My brother got me into Chelsea, I think the 5-0 win over Man United was the 1st game I watched where I actually felt something, a few weeks later we were playing Arsenal and we were 2-0 up and lost 3-2 :(
    hat trick by Kanu in the last 15 mins - that was the 1st pain(of soo much)

The following midweek game I clearly remember it was my 1st Chelsea european game v AC Milan away, 1-1 Dennis Wise with the equaliser - I went mad !! a draw that definetely felt like a win.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I support united, have done for a very long time and will continue to do so because of an uncle.

LOI never done it for me, seen pretty much every top flight LOI team at some stage over the last 15 years- they all annoy me, mainly their fans with the 'hilarious chants' Generally calling other players managers/players fat. Wit. Notable exceptions Galway and flah's waterford.

/awaits impending **** storm.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I support united, have done for a very long time and will continue to do so because of an uncle.

LOI never done it for me, seen pretty much every top flight LOI team at some stage over the last 15 years- they all annoy me, mainly their fans with the 'hilarious chants' Generally calling other players managers/players fat. Wit. Notable exceptions Galway and flah's waterford.

Premier league chants ain't exactly Shakespeare either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

We also happen to borrow a few (ignoring the fact they were borrowed by the EPL team in the first place), especially from Celtic and Man Utd.

Edit:

http://fanchants.com/football-chants/vintage/premiership/manchester_united/

http://fanchants.com/football-team/bohemian/

http://fanchants.com/football-team/shamrock-rovers/

http://fanchants.com/football-team/celtic/

So saying its about the chants is really a load of ****e.

"Ultras." LMAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

One fat dolan sittin on a wall,
    One fat dolan sittin on a wall,
    And if one fat dolan should accidentally fall,
    There'd be no dublin limerick cork or donegal,
    No dublin limerick cork or donegal

Remember that from the Shels games when Dolan was in charge of Pats

• Advertisement

frantic190 wrote: »
    We also happen to borrow a few (ignoring the fact they were borrowed by the EPL team in the first place), especially from Celtic and Man Utd.
    Yeah chants are generally recycled quite a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

cup winners cup final man utd vs barcelona in 1991.aged 7 :D:D
    i only remember mark hughes goal (the 2nd united goal) from that game,what a goal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

LFC in the late 80's because of players like C.Johnson P.Beardsley J.Barnes J.Aldridge R.Whelan and S.Staunton. Say i was bout 8 years of age and think the Fa cup Finals against Wimbeldon and Everton got me. My dislike for Stuart McCall started in the derby game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

my cousin played for villas underage teams and was tight with mcgrath when i was getting into footie so it was a no brainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Not sure what point you're making, is it that you hate live football including Man Utds not so hilarious chants where they call other players/managers fat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

also, i assumed this was re english clubs, but if now ill add drogheda since i was born there and they were my nearest club growing up. Ive also adopted toronto fc in the mls since theyre my local team here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Used to support Liverpool when I was younger.

Reason : Can't remember really. Probably picked it up at school. i remember my father buying a copy of a Liverpool vs Everton Cup game (4-4?) at a charity auction and that that cemented it.

But as I got older I got less interested and couple of things ended the love affair

1. I could put up with all the crap under Souness and Evans as at least there was a bit of flair but Gerard Houllier's football was so negative I didn't enjoy watching them anymore.

2. A visit to Anfield where I was unimpressed with the match day experience. Plus the City is a kip and the accent does my head in.

Just support Cork City now. Set in my ways at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

I was asked when I was very, very young who I supported and chose Aberdeen FC. Why? I was born in Aberdeen, and lived in Aberdeenshire [until I was 19]. It never crossed my mind to support anyone else, and I still coudn't consider supporting another football team over the Dons.

Stand Free! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arsenal.

Have always loved London, one of my favorite places in the world. Back in 1989 used to watch England matches quite a bit on tv and remember England playing Denmark and watching a player on the right wing by the name of David Rocastle who was so full of tricks.

Found out that he played for Arsenal, and as it was a London team it ticked that important box, that was my first flirtation with the club, followed them for the rest of the season but I was still really flirting with them.

Persuaded my dad to take me to my first football match in September 1989 V Charlton at Highbury. As soon as I stepped off the tube at Arsenal I knew this was something special, can still remember my dad asking the policeman where was the best place to get seats and the policeman giving us a warm smile and telling us to enjoy the game. Also remember how pleasant and friendly everyone was that day.

Lucky in those days you could turn up and pay at the turnstiles, so we ended up in the West Lower, and just recall the amazement of viewing the pitch for the first time, it really was like that scene from Fever Pitch, can even recall that Richard Marx Right Here Waiting was playing at the time over the tannoy.

It was a bore 1-0 win, Brian Marwood penalty into the North Bank, but that didn't matter, I was hooked and in Love for the first time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Used to support Liverpool when I was younger.

Reason : Can't remember really. Probably picked it up at school. i remember my father buying a copy of a Liverpool vs Everton Cup game (4-4?) at a charity auction and that that cemented it.

But as I got older I got less interested and couple of things ended the love affair

1. I could put up with all the crap under Souness and Evans as at least there was a bit of flair but Gerard Houllier's football was so negative I didn't enjoy watching them anymore.

2. A visit to Anfield where I was unimpressed with the match day experience. Plus the City is a kip and the accent does my head in.

Just support Cork City now. Set in my ways at this stage.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Chelsea for like a decade after getting a present of a jersey when i was very young. Loved the team and players over the years, slight underachievers. Jimmy Floyd, eidur, zola, desailly etc were doing brilliant and qualified for the CL. Was a mix of nationalitys but a proper team over those years

Enter RA, I think jimmy only got 1 game in the CL, barely played any games that season and still ended up top scorer, then they sold him

Stopped supporting chelski after that, jimmy was my favourite player and couldnt believe the disloyalty shown, they broke up his partnership with eidur which would have netted chelsea way more goals than what crespo etc did

Its funny these days, I like to see UTD, liverpool, Arsenal all do well, especially in Europe, and love to see Chelsea fail. How people can support clubs like city who through out players who won pots awards is something I`ll never understand, exact same thing happened at chelsea at the start.

I know I contradict the OP btw, just felt like venting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

nuxxx wrote: »
    How people can support clubs like city who through out players who won pots awards is something I`ll never understand, exact same thing happened at chelsea at the start.

It's pretty simple. The club was there long before the modern financial fiasco and no player/manager/owner will ever be bigger than that. Could you not understand why someone supported City when they went to Division 2? Or was that ok because it was the other end of the spectrum?

IMO it's worse to ditch your club like you did than stick with them when circumstances don't suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Wheres the guy from the last thread who picked his team while playing with his wrestling figures in front of the telly, he was hardcore.

That was me.

I'd love to have a cool story, like I fell out of an aeroplane and Bryan Robson caught me in mid air and saved my life, or my mother made love to George Best and it's rumoured that he could be my dad, but nope. It's because I preferred the bad guys in wrestling, and Man Utd were very much the bad guys in my house of Liverpool siblings and parents.

I don't hide the fact I've a shít story, doesn't bother me in the slightest!

I also don't hide the fact that in the grand scheme of things, football matters very little to me. I don't try to pass myself off as a hardcore fan at all. There are plenty of things in life I'd love more than to see Man Utd win. We're playing Marseille on Wednesday - give me a choice right now between having a good night out on Wednesday with some mates or United winning, I'll pick the night out with mates every time. I'd rather buy a new pair of jeans and a t shirt than pay the same price to go over to Old Trafford. I know the latter would matter a lot more to a lot of people, but I really couldn't give a toss. Football is nothing more than a hobby to me, I watch it, I enjoy it, but it's very far down my list of priorities.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's pretty simple. The club was there long before the modern financial fiasco and no player/manager/owner will ever be bigger than that. Could you not understand why someone supported City when they went to Division 2? Or was that ok because it was the other end of the spectrum?

IMO it's worse to ditch your club like you did than stick with them when circumstances don't suit.

Its pretty simple in your opinion you mean? I didnt like the way the team who qualified for the CL after years of trying all got shafted

Im sure they`ll survive without my support, seeing as they're from london and all, and ya know, I'm from Ireland

Its pretty simple in your opinion you mean? I didnt like the way the team who qualified for the CL after years of trying all got shafted

Im sure they`ll survive without my support, seeing as they're from london and all, and ya know, I'm from Ireland

Ah I see, all aboard the 'support you local side' high horse now that you've displayed your fickleness. Seeing as you're from Ireland who do you go watch now?

Ah I see, all aboard the 'support you local side' high horse now that you've displayed your fickleness. Seeing as you're from Ireland who do you go watch now?

Im not one who acts like they're on a high horse on this forum. I gave my opinion about something and you respond with "Its pretty simple".

What do you mean about who do I watch now? I already said I watch pool, United Arsenal etc. Doesnt mean I have to support a single club to enjoy the game

Im not one who acts like they're on a high horse on this forum. I gave my opinion about something and you respond with "Its pretty simple".

You said you couldn't understand why someone would continue to support City. I explained to you the reasoning why they would because I am a City fan. The reason IS pretty simple - the club is bigger than anything else.
    What do you mean about who do I watch now? I already said I watch pool, United Arsenal etc. Doesnt mean I have to support a single club to enjoy the game

If you don't support any team what does your nationality have to do with it?

You didn't answer my question about whether it's the same to ditch a club if things go bad.

You said you couldn't understand why someone would continue to support City. I explained to you the reasoning why they would because I am a City fan. The reason IS pretty simple - the club is bigger than anything else.

Talking down to me in a post then telling me to get off my high horse is pretty ironic, maybe its your writing style, I don't no. Yep I said that about City, they're the modern example of what Chelsea are, even if Chelsea were more successful than them back then. Being younger I suppose pissed me off more than it would now, had alot of Zola shirts and RA sent him back to Italy, small things like that can make you change your opinion pretty quickly, at least it did for me.
    If you don't support any team what does your nationality have to do with it?

You didn't answer my question about whether it's the same to ditch a club if things go bad.

Comes back to the club vs country thing I suppose, i was surprised when alot of users on this forum said they`d prefer see there club doing well rather than Ireland. Take into account how Dunne, Given and even Ireland were treated by city then its not that hard to have abit of a dislike for them, being Irish

Nope its not the same to ditch a club if things go bad imo, thats the true sign of a supporter.

Heres a decent article , its slightly related to what i posted, decent read imo

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/chelsea/article4281997.ece

Talking down to me in a post then telling me to get off my high horse is pretty ironic, maybe its your writing style, I don't no. Yep I said that about City, they're the modern example of what Chelsea are, even if Chelsea were more successful than them back then. Being younger I suppose pissed me off more than it would now, had alot of Zola shirts and RA sent him back to Italy, small things like that can make you change your opinion pretty quickly, at least it did for me.

I wasn't intending to talk down to you so apologies if you took it that way. When I said it was pretty simple I meant that the reasons for continuing to support the club aren't complicated.

I agree they can change your opinion. The way City treated Dunne was very poor BUT it was one incident. I'm not going to give up twenty years of support because of that. If I did have that line of thinking I'd have thrown in the towel under Francis Lee.
    Comes back to the club vs country thing I suppose, i was surprised when alot of users on this forum said they`d prefer see there club doing well rather than Ireland. Take into account how Dunne, Given and even Ireland were treated by city then its not that hard to have abit of a dislike for them, being Irish

The Irish solidarity is admirable (and it's the reason why some people think Given should be playing ahead of Hart) but really, again, they're just a couiple of players who are at the club for a few years, just like Zola in your case. In thirty years time no one will worry about whether Given got his game or not but the club will still be rolling on.
    Nope its not the same to ditch a club if things go bad imo, thats the true sign of a supporter.

Isn't the sign of a true supporter thick or thin? Ditching is ditching no matter what the circumstances imo.

The Irish solidarity is admirable (and it's the reason why some people think Given should be playing ahead of Hart) but really, again, they're just a couiple of players who are at the club for a few years, just like Zola in your case. In thirty years time no one will worry about whether Given got his game or not but the club will still be rolling on.

I take alot of Interest in the national team, waaaaaaaay more than any EPL club team, I dont think what city done merits hate or anything(given, dunne etc), but add the irish thing to the similarities of what happened to chelsea and you could prolly have an understanding why I dislike them

Isn't the sign of a true supporter thick or thin? Ditching is ditching no matter what the circumstances imo.
    If they got relegated and I said, fcuk this, cba, well I`d agree. Fact is they bought some world class players and more or less in the space of a season or two replaced the entire team who worked for years to get into the top 4. Even the chelsea team today are built somewhat on that achievement, if you argue the point abramovich might not have bought chelsea there and then if they werent in the CL, and also alot of the players they bought wouldn't have joined if it wasn't for the CL

I stopped supporting them cause what there no class shown, nor respect to the players who worked so hard to get 4th. That scenario would never happen at liverpool, arsenal, united and thats the reason I like to watch them every weekend or in the CL

Work to do now, ill check this thread in a few hours

In fairness, he'd hardly know that, would he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Heres a decent article , its slightly related to what i posted, decent read imo

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/chelsea/article4281997.ece
    Zola wasn't sent to Italy, his mind was made to move on and finish his career in Italy.

RA offered Cagliari good money to break the verbal agreement with Zola so he would stay and it is rumoured he tried to buy the club in order to get him to stay. Zola didn't deny that rumour either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

baz2009 wrote: »
    Not really, tbf.

Why isn't it ?? It's as good a reason as many i've seen on here and if people want me to support my local club, I did and due to the ineptness of the FAI and the closed door nature high-horse of many LOI fans they went bust and dropped out of the league.

I don't know how some people expect to attract more fans when they look down on people as some sort of lesser human for supporting a team from outside Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Man United - I can't remember really, tbh. I think it's cos some alco gave me a keyring with United fixtures from the 99/00 season on it.:pac:
    My memories of things like that are always different whe I try to think, though,it's kinda weird.
    peabutler wrote: »
    Why isn't it ?? It's as good a reason as many i've seen on here and if people want me to support my local club, I did and due to the ineptness of the FAI and the closed door nature high-horse of many LOI fans they went bust and dropped out of the league.

I don't know how some people expect to attract more fans when they look down on people as some sort of lesser human for supporting a team from outside Ireland.

I wouldn't worry, above was his reason for supporting United. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

"Ultras." LMAO.

Fans wanting to support their team with colour and noise LOL those crazy individuals

"Ultras." LMAO.

Bogland mancs and scousers. ROFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

Definitely in a minority here, as a Bolton Wanderers fan :)
    my mother came from Bolton, and my dad took me to my fisrt game at Burnden Park, lifting me over the turnstiles at the age of 4. This was in the early 70s, when Bolton for the most part hovered between the old 1st and 2nd divisions. The players of the day were Neil Whatmore, Tony Dunne, Jim McDonagh in nets, Big Sam, Willie Morgan, and probably most famously, Frank Worthington (i've an old pic of myself, a mate and Frankie on the training ground somewhere)
    So i've followed them through thin and thinner, down to the 4th division, then steadily back up, through the great FA cup runs of the early 90s, and to Wembley for the LC final v 'Pool.
    I haven;t got over to many games in the last few years, last time was away to Fulham last season

any other Trotters fans on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

So people not answering the question anymore :D

I used to follow Manchester United until one day, at about 10 years of age, it dawned on me to not follow them just because everyone else was doing so. I chose Tottenham because I liked their crest and the fact they played in white. Followed them ever since.

I started to support Sporting Fingal when they were first created at the end of 2007. An encounter with a new friend led me to take an interest in the League of Ireland which has stuck to this day. I was excited by their plans for a community club in my immediate area. Finally I could support a club local to me.

Of course they're dead now, so I'm in the process of mourning/wondering who to follow next. Whether I grow to support them, whoever they may be, I am not so sure.

Either way I hope to have my next story as to why I support a certain team soon, once I figure out who they are :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

peabutler wrote: »

It's not a better reason than anyone elses, tbh. Which is what your post came across as meaning.
    Johner wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry, above was his reason for supporting United. :pac:

Never said it was a good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

It's not a better reason than anyone elses, tbh. Which is what your post came across as meaning.

I don't think it did, everyone supports teams for different reasons that was one of mine, I know what I mean with my posts, a lot more so than you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

*gets popcorn*

I said it before and I'll say it again, this is not funny!

Advertisement