Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How you started supporting your team

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I said it before and I'll say it again, this is not funny!

26 people disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

BOHtox wrote: »
    26 people disagree
    26 people are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

some people take football far 2 seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I started following Leeds when Dave O' Leary took over. What an exciting time that was with such good young players coming through and shining in Europe. How times have changed. Now we can't hold onto a lead at home to Barsnley..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

QPR fan since 1974!!!! Cousin played for them and I got to wear Stan Bowles jersey as a kid, it was more like a dress tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

My Dad's a Celtic fan so it's in my blood!First Celtic game I remember was when Henrik Larsson broke his leg against Lyon.He went on to become my hero in the next few years.

26 people are wrong.

26 people like something and are wrong about thinking they like that post? so actually people don't know what they like?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

hadnt selected a team for a while then went to a friendly game and met the players after that in the hotel. So a while after that decided to support them. Team was everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

nuxxx wrote: »
    Chelsea for like a decade after getting a present of a jersey when i was very young. Loved the team and players over the years, slight underachievers. Jimmy Floyd, eidur, zola, desailly etc were doing brilliant and qualified for the CL. Was a mix of nationalitys but a proper team over those years

Enter RA, I think jimmy only got 1 game in the CL, barely played any games that season and still ended up top scorer, then they sold him

Stopped supporting chelski after that, jimmy was my favourite player and couldnt believe the disloyalty shown, they broke up his partnership with eidur which would have netted chelsea way more goals than what crespo etc did

Its funny these days, I like to see UTD, liverpool, Arsenal all do well, especially in Europe, and love to see Chelsea fail. How people can support clubs like city who through out players who won pots awards is something I`ll never understand, exact same thing happened at chelsea at the start.

I know I contradict the OP btw, just felt like venting

I'll be honest here, that's a disgusting attitude IMO.

Your football club is your football club regardless of who owns it, what players play for it, or what success/failure you have. Jimmy would have gone sooner or later (players get sold, retire etc all the time in football) and would you have stopped supporting them because of that? The club obviously meant nothing to you in the first place anyway if you could stop supporting them like that.

As for the Manchester City comment. The likes of Dunne were moved on and replaced with better players. Do you think Dunne will have had his family beheaded and been stripped of all his money before leaving or something? He'll have moved on with a nice loyalty bonus in his pocket (probably €2m+) and has a massive wage still coming in. He probably doesn't even give Manchester City a second thought anymore and is laughing about how much money he made there. It seems you get attached to footballers, my advice is don't. At the end of the day football's just a job for the majority and they soon move on. Don't fool yourself into thinking they care. As I said, the club will be there long after the players leave. However, you should be attached to your club, but your solution seems to be to just stop supporting them when your favourite players goes.

Manchester City are a proper football club with proper fans. They've got a rich history, have had some success and some failure but the supporters have always stayed true to their club. If I was a Manchester City fan I'd be absolutely loving the current times. Chances are the majority of their supporters will have seen them play in the third tier of English football, and now they're challenging for the Premier League title. There's so many clubs and supporters who would give their right arm for investors such as they've made a dream come true for Manchester City as they've helped a club who could only dream of challenging for such honours or playing in the Champions League to becoming serious contenders.

Perhaps I take football too seriously, but I just would not be able to turn my back on, or just stop supporting my club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

26 people are wrong.

you obviously seem like a comic genius with a name like ''UPANDCUMMING'' so your judgement on wit is not to be ignored!

shame on the 26 for having a sh1t sense of humour!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

major bill wrote: »
    you obviously seem like a comic genius with a name like ''upandcumming'' so your judgement on wit is not to be ignored!

shame on the 26 for having a sh1t sense of humour!!

I'm not a comic genius. I never said I was, nor was I trying to be.
    My username has nothing to do with the internet or trying to be witty, it is something personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

St James United Boys Under 12.
    I only eat from Papa Mio's, the local chipper and team sponsor.

Local teams for Local People

_45093630_league_bbc226i.jpg

In 1985, Lee Chapman was the greatest player who walked the world

(well, my world anyway)

Hence, a lifetime of frustration and disappointment began

I'm not a comic genius. I never said I was, nor was I trying to be.
    My username has nothing to do with the internet or trying to be witty, it is something personal.

Maybe it was personal for the 26 as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Started supporting Man U in 1992 at age 8 because my dad was a lifelong Liverpool supporter and I wanted to piss off both him and my (Leeds-supporting) uncle. :D

Of the other teams I support - Bohs because they've been very good to my sister (gave her work experience in TY, some summer work and she works there most matchdays), and Barcelona because they play beautiful football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

And also to pish me off Kirby!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Started supporting a couple of different teams as a kid, bought the jerseys, went to games - the whole lot. Realised a few years ago that for me supporting just the one team all the time was a load of bs so I then decided to quit that and now just watch the games as a total neutral. Enjoy the game a lot more as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I grew up in the shadow of old Trafford but my 2nd cousin's uncle's brother in law lived in Tallaght for 6 months so that's why I support Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Liverpool. I'm the youngest of 7 blokes, all Liverpool fans bar one, so I never really had a chance. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

St Pats coz my great grandfather was involved in the formation of the club. My grandad and dad were heavily involved too.

My first game was the 96 cup final :(

Hooked ever since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

St James United Boys Under 12.
    I only eat from Papa Mio's, the local chipper and team sponsor.

Local teams for Local People

_45093630_league_bbc226i.jpg

Lucky for you Papa Mio do a fine pizza and lovely chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Dad had relations in Manchester who were City fans went to see a few games with them so he was always a City fan.

Took me to my first City game when i was about 10, in Maine Road against Leeds in the FA Cup and i fell in love there and then!

Advertisement