Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brew Belts

• 21-02-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi All
    Can anyone tell me where is the best place in around DUblin to get a good bre belt. I have tried using a heat bulb, i.e. those you would use for tropical pets but the highest I can mainatin the temp is around 21/22 oC and I think that is just bordering.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm guessing you've been taking Cooper's kit instructions at face value?
    robh71 wrote: »
    the highest I can mainatin the temp is around 21/22 oC
    You don't want any warmer than that. 18 is ideal; anything above 22 would be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭robh71

ye pretty much man, decided this time to try and get it right. The Aussies flap on about 21 - 27 oC.
    How important is it to start with temp of 18oC. If I mix wort with 2 litres boiling water then add 21 litres its going take a while to get to 18oC. Does that matter much as long as I keet the temp consistent?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

If I mix wort with 2 litres boiling water then add 21 litres its going take a while to get to 18oC. Does that matter much as long as I keet the temp consistent?
    You can pitch the yeast when the wort is about 25C but if you keep it constant at this sort of temperature it's likely to throw some off flavours. Best to let it cool down to room temperature on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

I have just had the same situation as you, and I bought a brew belt. Its -10c outside, and about 16-18c inside. I put on the belt, but it nearly burnt a hole through the coopers drum. With a blanket around it in my kitchen, it going fine, and maintaing a 20-22c, without the belt. I dont think you will need a belt to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Brewbelts are a waste of time.

Dont heed people who tell you not to stick it in the hotpress either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭robh71

thanks, now under stairs with heat bulb which I reckon should keep it at 21/22 oC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I used a brew belt on a time clock (set to come on for an hour every couple of hours), in a well sealed shed in my back and cardboard and blankets for unsulation, it seemed to work well judging by the hydrometer readings.
    Still I won't know for 2-3 weeks once its matured properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Aussies flap on about 21 - 27 oC.
    Room temps would be higher in hotter countries, so if they had said keep at 20C you would have aussies moaning that they need chillers! I have heard of people with this problem in hot countries, they put in frozen 2L coke bottles of water to cool the brew down.

Also kits often quote unusually quick expected brew times, this is probably since long times might put people off buying the products. I remember the solomon grundy wine slogan "started on monday, drunk by sunday"
    file_54_38.jpg
    Brewbelts are a waste of time.

Dont heed people who tell you not to stick it in the hotpress either.
    Some will brew in an unheated garage so might needed, once fermenting it generates its own heat so a blanket can provide sufficient insulation. Even if you do not like the smell there will be a build up of CO2 in your room which you might not want. This could actually be advantageous if you have a gym -but thats another thread!
    I have tried using a heat bulb, i.e. those you would use for tropical pets but the highest I can mainatin the temp is around 21/22 oC
    Any old regular (not energy saver) bulb will give off heat, you could get a 100W or I think I had a 200W bulb before. I think 40W should be more than enough. You can make a hole in a old tin of sweets, like a strong metal tin of quality streets, then you put a wire through it and wire on a fitting with the bulb inside so you do not actually see the light, you can then sit your brew on top of the tin.

Advertisement