Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography club

• 21-02-2011 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, wondering if any of you are or aren't members of a photography club. I was toying with the idea of signing up with one, but am curious as to what exactly goes on! I suppose that depends on which club....

I have visions of projectors, group criticism and discussion, occasional photo walks or trips, kit chat - am I miles off? Does it open up other avenues?

I just thought I'd ask before approaching a club to get a sense of whether or not another "interest evening" during the week can be negotiated with the authorities. I suppose too that it also depends on whether you need to be going weekly to get any benefit from it.

Am in Kildare, if that means anything to anyone.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I have toyed with the idea of joinin a club for many years. Some of my friends are in clubs in various parts of the country and get a lot out of them, then others who have gotten tired of people who spend more time talking and critiquing that actually making photos.

It all depends on what you want from being a member of a club and they clubs that in your area. Something well worth doing is checking our www.photowalk.ie and take part in a photowalk. I'm just back from a weekend away in Wexford & Waterford with 10 photographers, we had a great time, even though the weather wasn't great. A good mix of making photographs and the social side of things. For me it was the ideal "club".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Prender, try the South Kildare Photography Club, should be in your neck of the woods?

http://www.southkildarephoto.org/

I think nilhg on here is involved?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'm a member of Navan Camera Club and thoroughly enjoy it. We organise lectures where other photographers come and tell us about their work - what they do, how they go about it, equipment, post processing etc. For a beginner these lectures can be very informative. We also have a studio which members can use free of charge (non commercial work). We do field trips, have monthly competitions, do exhibitions and even go away for the odd weekend.

Like dave66 I too was on the Wexford/Waterford Photowalk and we had a great weekend. Clubs are not for everyone but most clubs will allow you to attend a couple of sessions free of charge to see how it all works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I joined one last year and even though I have not embraced the competitive side of it , I still feel its worthwhile. You get to go on outings and attend some interesting talks .
    But the biggest thing its done for me is to give my photography momentum. I've had a camera for years but was only using it occasionally and was in a bit of a rut, photographing stuff in the back garden til I was blue in the face.
    Now I've got into studio stuff and broadened my horizons. So go for it.

BTW one of the best talks we've had was from a member of Leixlip camera club, on travel photography.

Prenderb wrote: »
    Hi guys, wondering if any of you are or aren't members of a photography club. I was toying with the idea of signing up with one, but am curious as to what exactly goes on! I suppose that depends on which club....

I have visions of projectors, group criticism and discussion, occasional photo walks or trips, kit chat - am I miles off? Does it open up other avenues?

I just thought I'd ask before approaching a club to get a sense of whether or not another "interest evening" during the week can be negotiated with the authorities. I suppose too that it also depends on whether you need to be going weekly to get any benefit from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Prenderb wrote: »

All that and more especially good outside speakers, we have two good ones coming up this week and next.

Do a search for Irish camera clubs, most of them will have their schedules up on their sites.
    Prender, try the South Kildare Photography Club, should be in your neck of the woods?

http://www.southkildarephoto.org/

I think nilhg on here is involved?

Yeah I'm there most weeks, though thankfully for the members I'm not up front still.

If you go to the club website you can add your name to the club mailing list and get weekly reminders of whats going on. If you want to pop along to a meeting or two to see if you like the setup there is no compulsion to join, if it'sd not for you then no harm done.

And if you're in Newbridge there is an exhibition of our members work on at the moment in the library at the bottom of the town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement