Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Coverage - thinking of moving

Options
  • 21-02-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Guys( and gals)

thinking of getting the Samsung Omnia 7(on meteor), I was wondering what the regular and 3G coverage are like on meteor in the Bantry-Schull-Skibb-Clon-Bandon-Enniskeane/Ballineen-Dunmanway-drimoleague-Banrty area and cork city

Is it better/worst than O2(which I would be on if I got the iPhone4)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Guys( and gals)

thinking of getting the Samsung Omnia 7(on meteor), I was wondering what the regular and 3G coverage are like on meteor in the Bantry-Schull-Skibb-Clon-Bandon-Enniskeane/Ballineen-Dunmanway-drimoleague-Banrty area and cork city

Is it better/worst than O2(which I would be on if I got the iPhone4)

Thanks

It'd be fine. Down around there you can use Vodafone's network if you don't have Meteor coverage anyway but you wouldn't even notice because the SIM covers the name up. It's the same price. So essentially in West Cork, Vodafone coverage = Meteor coverage. You'll only get GSM roaming though, I'd imagine 3G coverage is small or non-existent around there. The coverage map on Meteor's site is outdated, and there's certainly more 3G than stated. Tralee and the surrounding area is covered for example. Killarney is not yet covered however, so I find it unlikely that all the small West Cork towns will be covered for some time. In most of Ireland you can get EDGE coverage, which works over 2G but is quite fast. West Cork is one of the few places that is left out however. So for internet, all you'll get is GPRS (slow) unless this has very recently changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

guys,

same question as above but for the 3 network?

thanks

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 broz

Hi There,

I am on Meteor and have noticed that in the last few weeks they have rolled out hspa to all the areas you have mentioned (not 100% on Drimolgeaue) this is the latest 3g technology and the performance is quite good.

I am using the mobile dongle to connect to my work VPN and I can't tell the difference between it and my 8MB broadband line !

Advertisement