Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compostable packaging

Options
  • 21-02-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Compostable packaging materials can be produced that are particularly suited to food packaging, these are literally products that you take off the product and stick into your compost bin - heap and hey presto they are gone within a few weeks leaving no nasty trace elements in the environment.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Hi Parichards, unfortunately we do not act as a focus group for marketing purposes.

Thread closed.

Edit: Thread opened for a general discussion of compostable packaging

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi OP what is it exactly? Some form of starch based film?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Parichards

Macha wrote: »
    Hi Parichards, unfortunately we do not act as a focus group for marketing purposes.

Thread closed.

Edit: Thread opened for a general discussion of compostable packaging
    Thanks Macha for the edit. Didn't realise you had already re-opened this or would have done it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Parichards

blue5000 wrote: »
    Hi OP what is it exactly? Some form of starch based film?
    Hi BLue, this is material is cellulose based from sustainable and renewable sources.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Parichards wrote: »
    Hi BLue, this is material is cellulose based from sustainable and renewable sources.
    Sourced in Ireland or Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

It annoys me the way Super Valu insist on packaging their organic produce in small amounts at a time, e.g. 4 apples. But the base is compostable, and if they replaced the plastic film with corn/potato/hemp plastic, I'd be a little happier.

(Obviously the ideal situation is no packaging at all, but that would cause hassle at the checkouts I'd imagine.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

http://inhabitat.com/sunchips-unveils-new-quieter-100-compostable-bags/

Compostable chip/crisps bags... especially since in EU the crisps/chips are overpacked in little snack bags as the norm where in North America it's just one big bag that is the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Its a nightmare for a food comapny to deal with. If it's a slow selling line the packaging can start to breakdown before it even hits the production line and then with high selling lines there is always an issue with the packaging unable to survive the product shelf life. Most retailers have moved away from compostable packaging towards packaging reduction, it just has more of a marketing buzz at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Most of the dried goods (lentils, nuts, seeds, dried fruit etc) in the organic food co-op are contained in compostable packaging. My old packets are still buried under other stuff in the compost heap so can't say how well it works.

Advertisement