Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extend DSL Line

• 21-02-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭

I have a DSL phone line in my house and it plugs in to my modem where I get my wifi connection on my PC

The phone line is supplied via the regular Eircom phone outlet point

I need to get this DSL phone line "extended" in to another room........ it would be a pain in the arse to do it via running a cable from the main Eircom outlet to this other room

So, my question is, is there any way to **wirelessly** extend this DSL phone line from the point where it is now to another room...........and then move the modem in to this room and have my DSL phone line and modem working as it was before i.e via the physical eircom phone outlet point ?

Hope im making sense : )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Yes, you could connect the eircom Router to a WiFi AP, and add a wifi card or USB wifi stick to your computer. THat way the Eircom Router stays where it is and no cables needed :)

PS, from what I've seen most eircom routers have wifi built in (netopia in particular). Is that not the case with yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭obi604

Xzen wrote: »
    Yes, you could connect the eircom Router to a WiFi AP, and add a wifi card or USB wifi stick to your computer. THat way the Eircom Router stays where it is and no cables needed :)

PS, from what I've seen most eircom routers have wifi built in (netopia in particular). Is that not the case with yours?

I was thinkin more so along the lines of a wireless phone jack, like this :

http://www.wireless-phonejack.com/

I have a BT wireless modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

No - that kind of wireless phone jack will absolutely not work. It only transmits the normal voice frequencies, not the DSL ones.

You need your dsl modem to be plugged into the actual phoneline. If you need to get wired connectivity in another room (and dont want to run a cable) then you could use a pair of Homeplug power-line adapters or a wifi DSL router and wifi AP in client mode in the other room.

Snaga wrote: »
    No - that kind of wireless phone jack will absolutely not work. It only transmits the normal voice frequencies, not the DSL ones.

You need your dsl modem to be plugged into the actual phoneline. If you need to get wired connectivity in another room (and dont want to run a cable) then you could use a pair of Homeplug power-line adapters or a wifi DSL router and wifi AP in client mode in the other room.

So more a less, this Homeplug power-line adapters are the exact same as what I had above about the wireless phone jack but they are for the internet line as opposed to the DSL line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

obi604 wrote: »
    So more a less, this Homeplug power-line adapters are the exact same as what I had above about the wireless phone jack but they are for the internet line as opposed to the DSL line

What you're looking for then is this Powerline Ethernet adapter

It sends your network through the power socket to another adapter (nearer your PC) no extra wires needed.

• Advertisement

After researching, I ended up buying one of these lads :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-85Mbps-Homeplug-Adapter-Twin/dp/B002XL6IUU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298631131&sr=8-2

got it already and working fine, great little thing , thanks for the pointer Xzen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sadly the Powerline ethernet adaptors are only sold via a loophole. They in reality create HUGE amount of radio interference as they are really wide band radio transmitters. The faster ones are really worse.

Better to run a Cat5e cable. Up to 100x faster, cheaper, no Radio interference.

Advertisement