Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madrid newspaper AS - bitter much?

• 21-02-2011 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

In today's newspaper when reviewing the Barcelona - Bilbao game last night. First pic is an actual screenshot of Alves position as Xavi passed him the ball (which led to Barca's opening goal). Onside, as you can see by the linear pattern on the pitch.

canal.png

Now here is the picture AS ran in their newspaper as "proof" that it was offside. Notice anything missing?

121212r.jpg

Apparently it was a "mistake that occurred during printing" according to their website. :pac:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Some mistake to accidentally airbrush out a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Somebody must have rubbed it out with their pencil rubber.

I rather Barca then Madrid anyday being honest.

I really hate Real. Lived in both cities for while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bet they are a sister paper of the News Of The World!!

That is one hell of a bitter photoshop

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Still offside anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jaysus... That's worse than the shíte Andy Gray and co. used to come out with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Kim Jong-Il would be proud of that piece of "reporting"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

That is brilliant.

Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Maybe he actually disappeared?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Disciples of Franco making a Catalan disappear?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

IMO in the proper picture he was still offside. People say what matters is that as long as the part of your body you pass/score with is onside, you can't be offside.

I'm not buying any of it TBH. Barca being at home definitely helped the decision.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

CorkMan wrote: »
    IMO in the proper picture he was still offside. People say what matters is that as long as the part of your body you pass/score with is onside, you can't be offside.

I'm not buying any of it TBH. Barca being at home definitely helped the decision.

To me, he's level. Certainly not a case of getting 'help'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Disciples of Franco making a Catalan disappear?! :eek:

Basque. :p
    Barca being at home definitely helped the decision.

Ya, the crowd really helped in denying Bilboa that penalty, or in winning that penalty for messi... It wouldn't at all be due to the fact that it's a marginal decision either way, and given the frantic pace at which Barcelona were attacking, the linesman may not have been able to react quickly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Well, that's the rule.

He's onside, but they're the type of decisions that can go one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

You are right about the first part. He was offside as his head was past the last line of defense.

I dont agree with the second part though as it was a very tight decision as his feet were not offside. There were a number of bad decisions last night for both teams.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's not the same picture, for starters. None of the players are in the same position as the first one. Although that is an incredible burst of speed to cover 30 odd metres in 0.15 seconds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Paully D wrote: »
    Well, that's the rule.

He's onside, but they're the type of decisions that can go one way or the other.

but its not the rule :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

adamski8 wrote: »
    but its not the rule :confused:

It is the rule? :confused:

If any part of your body but your hands is in an offside position, then you are offside.

It looks to me like his head is just in an offside position, so he's off.

But it's easy for us to say with the "photo finish". I'd imagine that's a fairly tough one for the linesman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

is it just me or can anyone else not see a picture in the OP first post??

EDIT - can see it now,cheers op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

People say what matters is that as long as the part of your body you pass/score with is onside, you can't be offside.

The rule is if any part of the body you can score with is offside, the player should be flagged. Its not a retrospective case of waiting to see what appendage you score with - if your head is offside when the ball is played and you score with your left heel it should still be offside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Imo he is still offside regardless!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

How do people post about something that's as clear-cut as the offside rule - it would take you all of 3 minutes to look up the rule on the FIFA website - and base their argument on 'what people say'?

Seriously.

It was just offside I'd say but how the linesman would get that right I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Marca are awful for hiding their love for Madrid. They have news on Madrid every day of the week, no matter if its Ronaldo tied his own shoelaces today, or Mourinho didn't eat the mushrooms that were included in his dinner.

It's quite irritating as well, being a Valencia fan here, that when something good happens for Valencia it is never included in the daily/weekly news on the telly unless it involves either Barca or Madrid.

Apparently their bias has always been on show, I would never have known about the newspaper/tv channel/website had I not come here though, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Marca are awful for hiding their love for Madrid.

They don't hide it.

They don't try to hide it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Des wrote: »
    They don't hide it.

Well yeah, you're right. I guess I'm just expecting more of an attempt at neutral-ism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

There is a thing in art called 'perspective' as the Barcelona player is to the fore and bigger in the picture it looks like he is off but he ain't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

They don't hide it.

I don't think they technically define themselves as Madridista paper which is what makes them ridiculous. Sport and El Mundo Deportivo are even more bias in favour of Barca than Marca are towards Madrid, but they openly admit to being pro-Barca. I think Marca try and claim being a national, neutral newspaper.

carlop wrote: »
    I don't think they technically define themselves as Madridista paper which is what makes them ridiculous. Sport and El Mundo Deportivo are even more bias in favour of Barca than Marca are towards Madrid, but they openly admit to being pro-Barca. I think Marca try and claim being a national, neutral newspaper.

But the world and it's dog knows they aren't neutral.

And it's more than about football. I suppose the main comparison would be to the Daily Mail. Marca is pro-Madrid in every aspect of their réportage, it goes back to the days of the Spanish Civil War, and also has a lot to do with their stance on the varying separatist movements in the different regions of Spain. The Catalan movement being one of the stronger is going to come in for a lot of ire from the centralists in Madrid. Barcelona CF has always been a major focal point of that movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barcelona CF

You'd be in very hot water with Catalan nationalists for referring to Barca like this Des. :p Good post though, the paper was created during the Spanish Civil War, so it was a great political vehicle for Franco post civil war as a tool, it coincided with Real Madrid, a team that in his eyes represented Castillians perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The thing that pisses me off about Marca is that - I think I'm right in saying - they are supposedly a national and neutral newspaper. Being so dishonest and corrupt about it shows how much of a hangover from the dictator they are.
    Crosáidí wrote: »
    There is a thing in art called 'perspective' as the Barcelona player is to the fore and bigger in the picture it looks like he is off but he ain't

You're right that the perspective has to be taken into account. Parallax is the name of the effect that it has on situations like this. It's amazing how everybody overlooks it.

I think it could be mapped onto the picture, but I'm not sure.

To me, taking perspective into account, it still looks like he is off. But we are both guessing until somebody gets busy with some rulers.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    they are supposedly a national and neutral newspaper.

No they aren't.

Yes, they are a national paper, sold all over Spain, no doubt about that.

But there is no such thing as a "neutral" newspaper, nowhere, ever.

Not even in Ireland. Look through the broadsheets on sale here in Ireland, they'll all have a slant on the General Election to suit whatever their own agenda is, which party they are deciding to support this time round.

Look at the Murdoch red-tops in the UK and how they can influence GEs there.

The Daily Mail is a national UK paper, and is unashamedly Right-Wing.

Marca, as we learned from eZe there, was started during the Spanish Civil War as a mouthpiece for the Madrid/Franco side of things. Of Course they are going to be biased towards Madrid, and biased against their greatest rivals.

Yeah, that picture takes it to extremes, but it's still funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

mars bar wrote: »
    It is the rule? :confused:

If any part of your body but your hands is in an offside position, then you are offside.

It looks to me like his head is just in an offside position, so he's off.

But it's easy for us to say with the "photo finish". I'd imagine that's a fairly tough one for the linesman.
    exactly my point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No they aren't.

Yes, they are a national paper, sold all over Spain, no doubt about that.

But there is no such thing as a "neutral" newspaper, nowhere, ever.

Not even in Ireland. Look through the broadsheets on sale here in Ireland, they'll all have a slant on the General Election to suit whatever their own agenda is, which party they are deciding to support this time round.

Look at the Murdoch red-tops in the UK and how they can influence GEs there.

The Daily Mail is a national UK paper, and is unashamedly Right-Wing.

Marca, as we learned from eZe there, was started during the Spanish Civil War as a mouthpiece for the Madrid/Franco side of things. Of Course they are going to be biased towards Madrid, and biased against their greatest rivals.

Yeah, that picture takes it to extremes, but it's still funny.

Yes I agree that no newspaper is neutral, but they don't have to be as bad as the Daily Mail, the Red Tops or Marca. It's possible to have an agenda without going so overboard with it.

Also, I was under the impression that Marca tries to claim some sort of journalistic integrity and relevance to none madridistas. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

I'm probably more pissed off with them because of how much I dislike the cause they represent.

BTW, this pic was in AS not Marca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yes I agree that no newspaper is neutral, but they don't have to be as bad as the Daily Mail, the Red Tops or Marca. It's possible to have an agenda without going so overboard with it.

Also, I was under the impression that Marca tries to claim some sort of journalistic integrity and relevance to none madridistas. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

I'm probably more pissed off with them because of how much I dislike the cause they represent.

BTW, this pic was in AS not Marca.

This is what I was saying earlier. I'm not for a second denying Marca is a biased rag, but the shameful thing is they purport not to be. They advertise in almost every ground in Spain, including San Mames, and I've seen them give away Atletico merchandise with the paper.

They are clearly a Madridista paper but don't really admit as much.

Advertisement