Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hay shed

• 21-02-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

advice please! just bought an old farm house that has a 2span free standing hay shed. It's in perfect condition but I've no use for it. It's set in concrete so not sure how to go about getting it down. What I want to know is if anyone would be willing to buy it in situ, come & dismantle it & take it away. Also, what would be a reasonable amount I could ask for if it's being sold in this way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

What part of the country you in?

Mite be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MOC1972

If you want to get the buyer to take it down make sure they have there own insurance for this. Otherwise it could be an expensive sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lafemme

Brianmeath wrote: »
    What part of the country you in?

Mite be interested.

Hi Brianmeath. It's located near Dungarvan, Co. Waterford

MOC1972 wrote: »
    If you want to get the buyer to take it down make sure they have there own insurance for this. Otherwise it could be an expensive sale.

I did think there could be problems with someone coming to take it down. All advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 tanco

Hi Lafemme,

I'm only 20 mins from you there.

I'm looking at building a shed but if your one is in good condition I'll take a look.

Send me private message in interetsed.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Hi Lafemme.

Are you sure you want to get rid of the Hay shed? A shed like that always can have a use.

I remember a few years ago in the Sunday Time that some deisgner reckoned that the Typical Irish hay shed were a design icon of the last century and that the round form was a character adding feature to the landscape rather than a negative.

I have three sheds at home; the old stone built dairy-cow house; the fifties hayshed with lean to, and the 2000's Slatted shed with the angular roof. Each is a representation of time and history of the farm and I wouldn't knock any off them down.

Think carefully before you dispose of it. It's something that could add value to the house rather than take it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Southern girl

Hi,lafemme
    I know someone around there who might do it for you. he did work for me before and is fully insured and does good work. P.M. meand ill send you on his details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I'm inclined to agree with Figerty on this one.
    A hay shed is a thing of beauty, and has many many uses! It's a bit like cutting down a tree. Think long and hard about it. When you're sure do it right!

Figerty wrote: »
    Hi Lafemme.

Are you sure you want to get rid of the Hay shed? A shed like that always can have a use.

I remember a few years ago in the Sunday Time that some deisgner reckoned that the Typical Irish hay shed were a design icon of the last century and that the round form was a character adding feature to the landscape rather than a negative.

I have three sheds at home; the old stone built dairy-cow house; the fifties hayshed with lean to, and the 2000's Slatted shed with the angular roof. Each is a representation of time and history of the farm and I wouldn't knock any off them down.

Think carefully before you dispose of it. It's something that could add value to the house rather than take it away.

While I appreciate the heritage of old Irish farm buildings, this shed is too big and it blocks a lot of light to what will be our garden. The property also contains white washed cow sheds which I will lovingly restore. The hay shed is just not practical for me & I believe it should come out of retirement & achieve it's destiny!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Let someone down that way have it for a price of course,

Thanks anyway.

They are a great job but so is light for your house and you have the old sheds which will be lovely with some TLC.

Good luck with getting rid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Block/plaster it and put in roller doors. You've a nice secure storage shed. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jonny.ie

lafemme wrote: »
    advice please! just bought an old farm house that has a 2span free standing hay shed. It's in perfect condition but I've no use for it. It's set in concrete so not sure how to go about getting it down. What I want to know is if anyone would be willing to buy it in situ, come & dismantle it & take it away. Also, what would be a reasonable amount I could ask for if it's being sold in this way?

what part of the country are you in What are the exact dimensions what is the height can you send photos

jonny.ie wrote: »
    what part of the country are you in What are the exact dimensions what is the height can you send photos

Hi jonny, the hay shed is near Dungarvan, Co. Waterford. It's 22ft x 30ft, round roof, good condition. I can arrange photos if your interested or you can come & see it if you're close.

This is NOT my shed but it looks like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jonny.ie

jesus sorry i didnt get back to u but very busy just wondering how much the owner is looking for the shed let me no thanks

jonny.ie wrote: »
    jesus sorry i didnt get back to u but very busy just wondering how much the owner is looking for the shed let me no thanks

http://www.adverts.ie/sheds-storage/hay-shed-for-sale/491240

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scub

was kinda interested in it before I saw the price.

Viewed the house though before I bought my own, did you take the few acres that was with it as well? You should have a lovely set up there when its fixed up - plenty of nice sheds as you mentioned. I think there is some really nice work above the windows (not sure on proper term) on that one in the picture if I remember correctly.

scub wrote: »
    was kinda interested in it before I saw the price.

Viewed the house though before I bought my own, did you take the few acres that was with it as well? You should have a lovely set up there when its fixed up - plenty of nice sheds as you mentioned. I think there is some really nice work above the windows (not sure on proper term) on that one in the picture if I remember correctly.

open to offers if you're interested.
    1.5acres with the house, lots of work still to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

There is no way you will get that price for it as it would be cheaper and less work to buy new materials and build a shed the same size.

There is no way you will get that price for it as it would be cheaper and less work to buy new materials and build a shed the same size.

Any idea what a reasonable price would be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

lafemme wrote: »
    Any idea what a reasonable price would be?
    I would be guessing around €5-600 if the buyer has to dismantle.

Thanks for the advice Sh1tstirrer (nice name!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

If its still available I would definitely be interested. Could offer €600 if thats any good to you & try arrange collection next weekend or the one after?

I'd offer more but it would cost a few hundred € extra to get it dismantled/arrange transport.

If its still available I would definitely be interested. Could offer €600 if thats any good to you & try arrange collection next weekend or the one after?

I'd offer more but it would cost a few hundred € extra to get it dismantled/arrange transport.

Hay shed is no longer available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

No problems La Femme, thanks for getting back to me, glad you got some use out of it yourself :)

If anyone else is selling one, could you please pm me with info? anywhere in Kilkenny or surrounding counties €600 tops budget!

Advertisement