Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurogamer's article on the kid who hacked Valve.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

pfft n00b! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Malty_T wrote: »
    Well, such is my noobyness at pc gaming I never even knew this happened, but apparently valve's HL2 source code was leaked onto the internet in 2003. I found this article to be a very interesting read. :)

I remember hearing about that,they had to delay it and I was very disapointed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

In 2003 i remember being really pissed off at how long it was taking them. In 2011, i'm still pissed off at how long it takes them :pac:

Seriously though, i remember seeing the first trailer for this, and being blown away. Then the leak happened, and the whole community was in an uproar. It was the Crysis 2 leak times 100. So many people were pissed that it was leaked, while the rest were pissed that Valve had kept quiet about how unfinished the game was. It was a massive blow to Valve, though to be fair they redeemed themsleves by released one of the best games ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It is sort of the paradox with Valve, people get so worked up about release dates because the love the games so much (when was the last time anyone complained that Lego Barbie Dream Horse has been delayed by six months), but the reason they love the games so much is because Valve work to their own schedule and their own quality control.

I do think Valve should stop announcing ridiculous release dates though. They should stick to an id software style "When its done" philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

They don't always release concrete dates, they are well aware of their reputation, as shown in their most recent L4D Blog

"That leaves the release date. The answer to when the DLC will be released is simple for now, sometime after Portal 2. Why don’t we set some date in stone right now? Because the real answer to when we are going to release something is always – when it’s ready.

Quality is a function of time and resources. So we can throw more people at the problem and/or take longer. We like to not constrain ourselves by either, so at this point we are willing to say - “Let’s not set a date yet, we’ll know better later.” Of course, that is also why the concept of Valve Time exists but later you will see why “Valve Time” is a good thing, not a bad thing.

"

• Advertisement

Great article btw, a brilliant read.
    If anyone has anything similar or as interesting, please post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i was so pissed off at this guyy because i had just put together a new build in anticapation for the release and then it got delayed by a year :mad:

He wasn't the reason it was delayed though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Kiith wrote: »
    It was the Crysis 2 leak times 100.

Not... Crysis 200?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

awesome read

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sarky wrote: »
    Not... Crysis 200?!

Valvegate:pac:

Can't believe that this happened so long ago now... Could have sworn it was more like 2004.
    Just like the leaked Crysis 2, I avoided this at all costs and waited for the finished, polished product and I'm glad that I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

My anger at the delays was only over-shadowed by my anger when the game was released - and the delays needed to unencrypt the game. I bought a primarily single player game, why would I need to do anything online I said to myself? I was raging at Valve - took me four/five hours after installation to actually get to play it.

Happily Valve learned from that experience and have turned Steam into the best games platform around, and that sort of thing doesn't happen anymore (exceptional circumstances aside).

Good read though.

Advertisement