Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

list of all closed dow, or forgotten shops in dundrum town centre?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭

i cant think of many...but would like too know how many shops have come and gone that i never remembered. i know that the tie rack closed down, as did that milkshake bar across from game store. also i was in dundrum today nd saw where the new hollister shop would open in july 2011.its on second floor -exactly above sony centre nd wondering what was there before...anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Didn't there used to be a different ice-cream shop where there is now Austraian Ice Cream? Or is it still even the Aussie one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

HMV was Virgin then Zavvi
    Pepe is gone too

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Gone:
    Faith Shoes, Sheeran's jewellers, Genius (all becoming Hollister)
    Morgan, Pepe, Shh...Secrets jewellers, Club Denim, Mango, Lacoste, Peter Nygaard, Furla, Principles, Mayo chix, Magee, Brannigans, Cafe Paul Rankin, Daisy & Tom, Ladybird, 3G, Poppies cafe, little Chinese restaurant across from Nandos, Laptop shop, Pilgrim, also a shop where Fran&Jane are now but I've forgotten what it was...

Guess where I've worked for the last 5 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

woah thats a lot.. is that every single closed shop? sad to see so many shops go without being noticed. but im excited bout hollister opening up :) oh nd do ya know anything about dundrum phase 2-whats it going to be-when itll finally begin??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

bb1234567 wrote: »
    oh nd do ya know anything about dundrum phase 2-whats it going to be-when itll finally begin??? :confused:
    Not for a long time - the builder Joe O'Reilly is in NAMA, so until he clears his debts and the banks start lending for these investments again, nothing will happen.

Don't hold your breath...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

woah thats a lot.. is that every single closed shop? sad to see so many shops go without being noticed. but im excited bout hollister opening up :) oh nd do ya know anything about dundrum phase 2-whats it going to be-when itll finally begin??? :confused:

Any idea on how to apply for a job in Hollister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Any idea on how to apply for a job in Hollister?

Have a look on their website and see is there anything on it, that's how they take their US applications usually. The competition will be fierce though knowing Hollister. The working conditions and pay aren't known as great by retail standards either from what I've heard from people working in Belfast and one s in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Gone:
    Faith Shoes, Sheeran's jewellers, Genius (all becoming Hollister)
    Morgan, Pepe, Shh...Secrets jewellers, Club Denim, Mango, Lacoste, Peter Nygaard, Furla, Principles, Mayo chix, Magee, Brannigans, Cafe Paul Rankin, Daisy & Tom, Ladybird, 3G, Poppies cafe, little Chinese restaurant across from Nandos, Laptop shop, Pilgrim, also a shop where Fran&Jane are now but I've forgotten what it was...

Guess where I've worked for the last 5 years!!

Also a Spectra shop near Monsoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

oh where was the spectra shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

clevtrev wrote: »
    Um, that mezzanine floor place where the information booth is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

clevtrev wrote: »
    Spectra was Fran & Jane is now.

Paul Sheeran's gone too (on L2). Calendar shop there for a while over christmas, but seems to be all covered in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Calendar shop there for a while over christmas, but seems to be all covered in now.

That happens every year, same thing used to happen in Stillorgan shopping centre too. The year before (or maybe the year before that?) it was up where the butchers block is now

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Ages ago a newsagent closed from across Argos. Springs to mind 'cause a friend was working there.

does anyone know if theyre ever gonna knock down the old horrible old centre??

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Not for a long while in the current economical blah di blah, I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

No need to knock it down really, it has Lidl as an anchor and a few other shops. Knocking it down to rebuild would b pointless in the present economiccc climate zzzzzzz

yeh- but most of the shops are poor quality nd run down nd the old centre as a whole is uuuugggggllaaaayy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Replay Jeans on the Gallery Level, now Fran and Jane. The watch shop under the gallery also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

The gallery and the line of shops on the Red surface car park are awful places for shops. The rent would want to be a lot less for those to attract anyone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭n.d.os

markpb wrote: »
    The gallery and the line of shops on the Red surface car park are awful places for shops. The rent would want to be a lot less for those to attract anyone there.

I managed two stores on that level over a 4 year period. The gallery performs well if you have a strong brand identity. Many stores closed up there as they weren't competitive on the market as a whole. Also it is my opinion that most stores and brands have a shelf life of 4 years before they become over-saturated and must rely on more than what they are selling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

yeh- but most of the shops are poor quality nd run down nd the old centre as a whole is uuuugggggllaaaayy!!

eh? Shops seems fine to me. Lidl does allright there I'm sure. The butchers and cafe are quiet good too. Then you have the dealz shop, and the mama & papas store. All doing a reasonable trade.

How exactly are they poor quality? What would you like to see there in its place?

The appearance of the main shopping centre isn't exactly amazing either tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Poor quality? No better or worse than many shops in the new centre, unless you're a teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

does anyone know if theyre ever gonna knock down the old horrible old centre??
    The old centre is doing great business, with Lidl, new vet, new pet store, Mulveys, new Diep. It's not the prettiest of structures, but it works - so why change it?
    Daisy & Tom,
    This was the community playground (well, indoor playground anyway) for years, but there was a lot more hanging round that buying there. Pity to see them gone though.

Advertisement