Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you happy with what you're studying?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Do your classes get smaller as you go up in years with people picking different subjects?

They do but they're still quite big and every class I'm in has different people. I know one friend of mine from home in a lot of history lectures and I know people in my tutorials and seminars (which are much smaller) but otherwise nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I originally started out studying Architecture in UCC/CIT, but I really didn't enjoy it. I'm not sure if the course itself was entirely at fault, as I was struggling with a few personal problems at the time anyway... but still, it was horrible. One of the bleakest years of my life, and the main thing I can remember about it is how numb and defeated and lost I felt by the second term. I shouldn't have studied it in the first place, it was a stupid compromise I came up with to allow me do something creative while also considering my parents' concerns about getting a more "sensible" kind of degree.

It was a strange sort of course, really. Though it was a collaberative venture between two colleges, it didn't take place on either campus. We instead spent our time tucked away at the back of a business park in a grim office block that was affectionately referred to as "the shack". We had a few lectures to attend, but mostly the days were spent working in the studio, trying to keep up with our assigned briefs.

I put so much effort in at the start, and worked so many late nights trying to perfect my drawings and models, but nothing I did could ever withstand the lecturers' intense criticism. I just sucked, and I couldn't cope with the constant dismissal, or with having no facet to my college experience other than suffocating in a shed. It felt more like a job than anything else, but that was the point, I suppose. I soon figured out that I didn't want a job as an architect, so I dropped out near the end of 1st year.

Despite all of that, there were a few things I really liked about the course. I made some great friends in the year and they made things a lot more bearable. We went on a trip to Castletownbere together, and there was this amazing beach party that I'll never forget. Hmm, wish I was still in contact with them. I also realised that I should have been studying art, or graphics design, or illustration, or just... something involving drawing and sketching and pencils and whatnot! We got to do life-drawing and had a graphics design module in the second term, and they were the only things I excelled at. I couldn't wait to attend those sessions every week.

With that behind me, I've been studying Physics and Applied Maths in UCC for the past... um, four years! God, I'm old. Anyway, I'm much happier with it! I know it's not what I want to do with my life, and it can at times be too challenging for somebody as intensely lazy as I am, but I love studying it. It's fascinating, the people and friends I've made in my year are awesome, I have a college life outside of my course, and at least a degree in physics has more flexible prospects than being stuck with a job I would hate. I'm going to concentrate on what I really want to do once I'm finished - artstuffs - and I'll hopefully have a nice, "traditional" degree to fall back on/help prevent my mother from ostracising me from the family. :P

Oh dear. DEATH BY PARAGRAPHS. Sorry about that. TL;DR: study something that makes you happy, apparently it's a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

I'm not in college yet, but I'll be starting physiotherapy in September ! I unfortunately missed out by 5 measley points for physio here in Ireland , so I'm going to be moving to Hertfordshire, 20mins from London, next year to do it there!

I took this year out just to apply for physio that was really not a easy thing for me to do, especially after I repeated the Leaving Cert last year! I was very upset to be missing out on college for a second year running, but I feel I've made the right decision! I was offered courses I was interested in and had in fact accepted Human Health and Disease in TCD (declined it the say before I was ment to move up) and I can honestly say I've so so happy I didn't go(though looking at the TCD ball line up makes me slightly wish I had!). If I had went I would never have been offered my dream course, even though I have to move countries!

I intend to LOVE my course. I am going to study my arse off and really appreciate it! My next goal is to graduate with a 1st class honors ;)

So ya, I'm not in college now, but I'm not in the wrong college! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I intend to LOVE my course. I am going to study my arse off and really appreciate it! My next goal is to graduate with a 1st class honors ;)

I should really start working at this goal :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm going to have to do very well this semester for me to get a 2:1. Thankfully I'm in modules I find very interesting and I'm doing quite well so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

On the whole places of college note.. Dublin just would not be for me! :P

I've only been there like ~5 times I'd say, and tbf I've only ever been to the city centre and yeah it's grand going shopping and whatnot but it's not somewhere I'd like to live.. I suppose it's just TOO big!

Limerick for me is grand 'cos UL is pretty much it's own mini village, it's all kinda integrated (I hope that's the right word? :P). The on campus accom is unreal too, it's all just like housing estates on the campus and apartment complexes and shizz..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

So ya, I'm not in college now, but I'm not in the wrong college! :D

Easier said than done. ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll give a more detailed (to be read "on topic") reply either tomorrow or the day after.

So, it's been longer than a day or two, but I'll answer these questions now that I have the time/patience to think about them properly!
    Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Are you happy with what you're studying?
    If you had the choice.. Would you start something else?

Am I happy with what I'm studying? Oh hells yes. I couldn't be happier with my course this year.

For those who don't know, I'm doing a Masters in Irish. It's a one year long "taught" course, as opposed to the typical two year research MA. This means we do exams for 3 modules in Semester 1 (25%), exams for 3 more modules in Semester 2 (25%) and hand in a thesis worth 50% of the course in August. That'll be somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 words long.

The modules for Semester 1 were Sociolinguistics (much more interesting than it sounds, honestly!), Modern Literature (divided into Short Stories of the 20th century, the Blasket Autobiographies and Female Poetry of the last 5 decades) and Classical Literature (Old Irish Poetry and Old Irish Stories).

Semester 2 involves 17th/18th Century Literature, an Béaloideas and a second module on Modern Literature (we'll be looking at historical novels this time around).

I'd go into more detail but I'd end up typing for hours. I'll make a long story short by saying this:

The lecturers are fantastic. Yes, all of them! :p We have loads who are full-time in Mary I, and I would have done various topics with them during my degree years. But this time around they're able to do much more with us. We can chat with them informally as well, and they don't have to worry about people messing during lectures either. Their true expertise in their various speciality subjects really shines through when they don't have to waste half a lecture asking for quiet.

There are 11 of us in the class, compared to 150+ who did Irish as part of our degree. With that in mind, we get to know each other much better. Now, I'm not particularly close to any of my group, but the general sense of camaraderie between us is lovely. Everyone is really encouraging to everyone else. I've been getting texts, e-mails and Facebook messages from them over the last few months with tips on material for my thesis, hints for what to read over for the exams and even Irish language events around college.

Then there's the subject material itself. We're covering stuff that goes back through the centuries, looking at material from over a millennium ago from manuscripts and learning about the evolution of some of the stories before the time of Christ/BCE. The themes, the techniques, the personalities behind the history. It's all fascinating. I can't say it enough just how much I've been enjoying college since September. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm doing a BA in English & Sociology in NUI Maynooth. I've gone through various phases of loving my course and loathing it during the last four years, but I'm loving it atm which is good :D

There's been a bit of hate for sociology in this thread, so Imma try and make it sound good :P I find it really interesting, mainly due to how wide-ranging it is - I've got to study modules on stuff like media and ethnic conflict, and I get to do my thesis on PJ Harvey! English is also good, due a lot to having some savage lecturers. And because of the course, I've read a lot of books and theory that I never would have otherwise.

Only seen one other Maynoothian on this thread; we're so unrepresented! :P NUIM is a great college - it's a nice size, not too small and not too big, so you invariably end up knowing everyone :pac: And the South Campus is sooo pretty!

Obviously. I do wonder sometimes whether I picked the right course to study (Arts can be a bit meh). When I was younger, I really wanted to be a nurse, and I'm a bit of a medical science geek so I think I would have enjoyed it... But I think it can be hard to be totally 100% happy with something, or at least I find it hard :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I'm studying fine art in DIT and can't recommend it enough. Now while the facilities are lacking a little, materials too, and the building is like the land that time forgot on the DIT map, the course itself with the great lecturers and students make it all worth while.

For those who did art in secondary school and saw art class as a break, a pleasure to do and looked forward to that one class in the day and wanting it to never end because it was so enjoyable and fun well this course is like that all the time. I am aware that the course had some no-shows at the start of the year and that 2 or so people are unsure about the course but the rest seem to like it.

Modules in first year are painting; printmaking: etching, screen printing, photoshop; sculpture; drawing; professional practice which is visiting galleries and exhibitions in semester one; photography (film); critical theory (art history mostly), Digital/new media (looking at/making films!); and my elective in semester two: Ireland, Film and Documentary.

It is all very interesting and as long as I am in every day, the workload is relatively easy to keep on top of, I've learned lots, my understanding and knowledge of art has gone way up, best of all I'm doing something I've always had an interest in and enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭mcw92

Im in 2nd year doing Computer Networking.
    I dont like it because Its hard and boring,
    Its hard because i miss alot of class,
    I miss class because its boring and i dont like it.

Sort of a vicious circle im in! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Just an update on this.

Doing Computing in DKIT at the moment.

It's alright and becoming more interesting and easier than it was. I really like Computers but I don't think I could hack sitting in front of one for hours on end at work. I'm decent at the maths, alright at programming, networking and architecture is great in the practical class with all the hardware. Can't say it's not tough in the theory class though. Once you get to grips with it though it really sorts itself out and makes sense.

Last semester went really well, did all the exams. This one though, I've missed some tests and have had a lack of sleep and a bad diet so I've failed more than I should have really! :(

I'm applying for the applied music though as soon as I'm ready for it. Could be a few weeks. The interviews run through the year, but I have to wait till May (I think), when I can put it down on the CAO.

It's a great course because you can do any style of music in it. My friends are a mix of soul, dubstep, pop, rock, trad, jazz musicians. Any style though is catered for.

The likes of Trinity and UCD I've heard have a really snobby, pretentious attitude towards their music courses. Not being critical of those colleges at all but I think it's true. You have to play classical music there, something like violin or piano. This is what I've heard from many people.

There is still an element of that here but at least you can make what music you want and studying a broad range of styles and world music makes you a better musician anyway. :)

The setup is incredible here now, especially the new Carrolls building. I thought it was good and modern initially but I didn't know half of it. The computers are mostly quad core i3's, lots of Mac labs, video editing suites, radio studio, art studio.

They have a music studio here with a top of the line SSL mixing desk being fitted amongst other things.

In the practice rooms there is great instruments and amps, mixers to play on and use. :D

They've really thought through the acoustics too cos the reverb and ambience sounds unreal! :cool:

I think I made the right choice coming here, definitely. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Orlagh123

Good thread! I think a lot of people go through phases where they don't like what they're studying, and I think a lot of the time there's something in your course ya don't like!

Well for me, I'm on a year out of college at the moment because I wasn't happy with what I was doing; mixture of not liking the place and not making enough of an effort to get involved when I was in first year, and not liking part of the course! I was doing Law with French and Sociology - I loved French in school, but I think there's such a jump between leaving cert level and university level; after the first semester in first year a load of those in the same course as me dropped French and took an extra law module that was on at the same time. After awhile I started to not like it, and everyone else in the module felt the same, thought it was so boring! I picked Sociology because ya had to pick modules from two different lines (for timetabling purposes), and I thought Sociology would be easy! It was but it was so mind-numblingly boring!! I hated it! I had thought about picking Irish because I liked it, but I'd say two languages would have been tough.

Anyways, I should have reapplied through the CAO last year but decided too late what I wanted to do and didn't really know you could apply until the end of July for certain colleges if you're already in college but c'est la vie!! I've reapplied again this year, hoping for Law and Business in Trinity! I had that on my form the first time but it was down the list so I wouldn't have got it anyway. I loved business and accounting in school, and should have put that down first because you can do a language for two years aswell! I never wanted to study in Dublin the first time, but when I got my results and offers, I think I was a bit disappointed I hadn't put it first. Now nearly all the courses I've applied for are in Dublin! :P

EEEK long rant there, sorry about that! :rolleyes: Basically, I was always sure I wanted to do Law once I went into fifth year; I had thought about other courses before but after doing a bit of legal studies in T.Y., I liked it! But even being so sure about what ya want to do doesn't always work out! And DO get involved in societies and make an effort with people and different things in college; I didn't and I know better for next year!!:rolleyes: Even though I'll be old next year and in the same year as my sister (:eek:), I'm so excited, can't wait for September!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

NO:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Im still in school, but im pretty sure i know what i want to do in the future, and i think i should know for sure by the end of next year (my transition year), because im hoping to do lots of science related work placements,
    biotecnology at DCU
    genetics and cell biology at DCU
    biomedical science at DIT
    biochemistry and molecular biology at UCD
    microbiology at UCD
    cell and molecular biology at UCD
    ^ does anybody do any of these courses? feed back would be good :)

Indiego wrote: »
    Im still in school, but im pretty sure i know what i want to do in the future, and i think i should know for sure by the end of next year (my transition year), because im hoping to do lots of science related work placements,
    biotecnology at DCU
    genetics and cell biology at DCU
    biomedical science at DIT
    biochemistry and molecular biology at UCD
    microbiology at UCD
    cell and molecular biology at UCD
    ^ does anybody do any of these courses? feed back would be good :)

Try this link in the leaving cert forum, it's people talking about their courses. Your's might be there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Im going into 2nd year of digital humanites/Culture Studies in Dkit! I kinda like my course like theres multimedia/computer part but sometimes I find that a bit tough and think to myself why didnt I just do a normal Arts course. So with that as the compulsory module you get to pick from a wee range of subjects I picked History, Archaeology and English But think Im narrowing that down on Sept to History and Archaeology!

Im the worse person ever for making decisions regarding college and careers! I kinda still have no real idea where Im goin career wise. Sometimes I think I should stick with history and english to do teaching as a safe option but know with my lisp that it wont be exactly great. Then I have the idea of being a journalist, but ummm Dads not to keen on that and think if i join college paper i could have it as portfolio build up in thr background. At the minute my career place is heritage sector. So thinking when Im finished to do like heritage management or along the lines of that.

Oh back to the Question instead of my ranting! I think at time i really regret what I do and should have did nursing and then I be on a very clear path but I know it would've been the biggest pain ever cos science wasnt my thing really. I really think I would've enjoyed doing arts in like ucd or maynooth as my class has like 18 in it and Im 19 and I kinda hang with all the mature students (kinda sad i know) cos I dont really get on with the other kinda young students and our class is like mature Vs. Young students. So anyways I havent been out once for college stuff and I have tried joinin clubs but that didnt work out as the rugby club lost loads of members and another club was just like a dance class and no one really communicated. And I cant really move in a college house cos I lived less than 20mins drive away from college so wouldnt be any point.
    So baciassly have no real social life but i guess it could be a lot worse!
    Sorry for it being so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

Just finished my first year of English and History in UL and I love it. Most of the time anyway...there's a few aspects of the course that are completely useless drivel, but hey, the rest of it's good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Skintwin wrote: »
    Just finished my first year of English and History in UL and I love it. Most of the time anyway...there's a few aspects of the course that are completely useless drivel, but hey, the rest of it's good :D

Totally random question here but errr, what sorta career prospects would you be looking at with that degree? :o It's probably the course I'd enjoy the most in college but I really don't want to be a teacher so yeah.

• Advertisement

Slow Show wrote: »
    Totally random question here but errr, what sorta career prospects would you be looking at with that degree? :o It's probably the course I'd enjoy the most in college but I really don't want to be a teacher so yeah.

Well I looked at it more from the 'I'll enjoy this, so lets have a hop off it' sort of perspective, but I do want to be a teacher, so I'm not exactly sure where else you could go with it...

just found this on the UL website...searched LM035 and clicked career prospects:
    • Communications and public relations
    • Research and teaching at third level, especially interdisciplinary studies based on English and History
    • Print and electronic media journalism
    • Public service, nationally or locally
    • Second level teaching, especially English and History
    • Development and research in voluntary organisations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I did the LC last year, put Applied Languages and Intercultural Studies in DCU down, got well over it. Happy days, no?

No. I hated the course. So I decided to transfer course. But I made the biggest mistake of my life when I decided to transfer to science for the sole reason I like and am good at biology. I did not take into account that I would be doing chemistry and physics, or maths, at all.

So, first year was really hard for me. Didn't make any friends until the 2nd semester, so I was practically depressed for most of the 1st semester.

I've probably failed most of my modules, because if I don't understand something, I tend to hate it.

So.. yeah, I have majorly ****ed up. Don't know what I'm going to do. Gone through CAO again but my parents can barely afford college as it is, never mind fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Well I'm going into Senior cycle in September with Chemistry, Physics and Technology to my name. The only probelm is that I'm doing French, which i'm useless at. I'm hoping for Nanoscience (http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=348) at TCD and i feel French wouldn't do me much good. Any suggestions?

Well I'm going into Senior cycle in September with Chemistry, Physics and Technology to my name. The only probelm is that I'm doing French, which i'm useless at. I'm hoping for Nanoscience (http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=348) at TCD and i feel French wouldn't do me much good. Any suggestions?

You mean you wan't to drop French? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Do TCD require a European language?
    Are you taking LCVP?
    How many Higher Level subjects are you taking?
    Are you prepared for if the course goes up in points?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Do TCD require a European language?
    They don't, as long as you're doing Irish, you're fine. Certain courses do require another language, but it's not a general entry requirement for all courses. As far as I remember most science courses -even in NUIs- don't require a third language.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Studying 1st year biotechnology in DCU at the moment. I like my course overall, however 1st year sucks cause it's a general science year for all science courses so I had to go over general maths, chem, bio and physics all over again. Also, I seriously underestimated the difficulty of one of my modules :mad:

Next year will be better as I will be actually studying biotechnology!

Oh yeah I just gonna repost something I posted last year for LCers about not getting enough points and all that lark. Could be some use to anyone who's worrying about the load of bollox that is the leaving cert.

Ok, I have repeated this story over a 100 times on boards. I'll repeat it again.

I did the leaving cert in 2009, had my heart on biotechnology in DCU. Did the leaving cert worked my arse off by taking on an extra subject outside of school hours and came out with 325 points, more than 100 points under what I needed. I got no offers the following Monday.

I looked a my options, searched the internet/asked the guidance counselor on ways on getting into the course. I found one online, one year PLC course. I did the course and I made a load of new friends and believe I have matured. I did that and now I shall be attending my dream course this September.

When I think about, I'm glad I didn't get enough points. Life has a way of working itself out, r3nu4l having the perfect example.

I laugh about my leaving cert result when I look back on it and how worked up I got about it. Believe it or not, believe it or not it's not the end of the world.

If really want a particular course, you will get it. One way or the other.

Please enjoy your night, try to forget about. When CAO offers come out, think and look at your options where it be repeating or a PLC. You don't have to accept anything straight away.

If any incoming 6th years read this, please keep all your options open. Apply to all PLC courses related to your dream course, you don't have to pay for anything if get the points you need. Applying to these will give a back option just in case you don't get the result. That's the best advice I can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Finished college this year. Qualified civil engineer. Started fine, but liked it less and less as time passed. By the end of 3rd year (i cheaped out and went for the level 7) it genuinely pained me to go into college.

So short answer, no, i'm not happy with what i did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Doing Science Education in UL, love the course, love my modules, love my lecturers.

But right now Teaching Practice is making me miserable :(:(:(

As the thread was ressurected I thought I'd see how I was feeling 7 months ago..
    I wanted to cry the whole first two weeks of TP. I felt so guilty over this until my friend a year ahead said it was totally normal. I was tired all the time as i had to keep my weekend job on. I cake iut with a B even though I know I could have done better. I let ut get the better of me. I knoew that I wasnt happy in the school but I still felt like Id accomplished something at the end if it. Recently had a friend get a jib as a teacher and the first thing he said ti me was not to letTP ruin ut for me. I know I wanna be a teacher. I want to di a diploma in drug ajd alcohol addiction after I finish then teach the required seven years before I can apply for the guidance and councilling masters.

We all have our good and bad days. Mine are pretty good at the momentt :)

Advertisement