Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just had a small crash

• 21-02-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

My wife just had a small crash. Technically it was her fault as she went into the rear of someone.she was 3rd in a convoy and the guy in front stopped suddenly and she hit the guy in front of her.
    Lucky that guy has no damage (due to his towbar) but her radiator is knackered (front bumper needs replacing too I reckon). It looks like it will pass the price where it is cheaper to get it fixed without claiming (as she has step back on her policy).
    I think her comprehensive insurance will cover it but am just checking for your thoughts.

Thanks
    Max

Comments

Make, mode and age required really.

And it was absolutely 100% her fault and her fault alone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Watch out for the "whiplash" letter, which will doubtless be on it's way shortly.

Crikey I'm cynical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

2004 Rav4

2004 Rav4

Install radiator yourself and get a 2nd hand bumper painted. Much cheaper to not claim unless the NCB is protected rather than step back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Watch out for the "whiplash" letter, which will doubtless be on it's way shortly.

Crikey I'm cynical!

Not to cyncical at all. Its shameful of the nature of people in this country now. All too often the 'victim' who is no more hurt than when they started their journey returns home telling friends and family of the incident and then the 'are you claiming' questions come up. Pretty much get talked up in to claiming until they start to see the Euros in their eyes.

Its sickening. I dont envy you OP, Also if you can stay away from the insurance please do, far cheaper in the long run to get in repaired independantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

RoverJames wrote: »

OP There's your witness for the insurance company claim
    You seem so sure that she's at fault, sure you must have been there. How else can one be 100% sure

The OP didn't come here for judgment on the crash, a little harsh!

... OP If you have stepback NCB protection then it might work out cheaper to get them to pay! Since thats why you're paying insurance!

If you were (like me) never going to want to claim from an insurance company then you'd have gone 3rd party. Since you went fully comp, you must have thought that someday you'll need to make a claim, regretably that day is here. That said though, if you can stump the cash up yourself that's always the better option

How far will your NCB step back to, that'd be another thing to consider? 1 year, 2 years, that might be tolerable but if you lose a good chunk of NCB then it might not be so good.

Hope you're wife is OK btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Were the guards called? If not it will be your (your wife's) word against their's if there is a claim later on.
    I guess it is really up to the guy in front, I would notify the guards personally and also the insurance.
    Just because you tell the insurance company doesn't mean they will raise your premium. You can inform them and not claim, which is what i would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

OP There's your witness for the insurance company claim
    You seem so sure that she's at fault, sure you must have been there. How else can one be 100% sure

The OP didn't come here for judgment on the crash, a little harsh!

Eh? The OP's wife hit someone from behind, it's her fault and nobody elses.

Hope you're wife is OK btw!

Well if she isn't he'd hardly be wondering about the radiator and his step back policy :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There's a well known scam that involves the scammers having two cars in convoy in front of the victim. The first car in the convoy brakes hard for no reason 'causing' the second car to stop dead, causing the victim to go into the back of the second scammer.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, but you can't just say that because someone hit someone from behind it's automatically their fault.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    There's a well known scam that involves the scammers having two cars in convoy in front of the victim. The first car in the convoy brakes hard for no reason 'causing' the second car to stop dead, causing the victim to go into the back of the second scammer.

I'm not saying that's what happened here, but you can't just say that because someone hit someone from behind it's automatically their fault.

If the person was far enough back (as per the direction of being able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear) such scams wouldn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

stevenmu wrote: »

There is a reason why that scam works and it's because it's the responsibility of the driver at the back to ensure that they have left adequate space between themselves and the car in front to be able to break safely and a lot of people don't give enough space.

Scam or not, if you can't break safely if the car in front stops suddenly you are too close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭meercat

There is a reason why that scam works and it's because it's the responsibility of the driver at the back to ensure that they have left adequate space between themselves and the car in front to be able to break safely and a lot of people don't give enough space.

Scam or not, if you can't break safely if the car in front stops suddenly you are too close.

driver behind is not always to blame

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056182237

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

RoverJames wrote: »
    Make, mode and age required really.

Unless obviously the driver in front stopped on green light, and had two kids in the back.
    Then it will be his fault, if OP's wife will have a taxi driver as a witness
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

maybe you should read http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/learner-driver-loses-damages-claim-against-dublin-bus-493613.html#ixzz1E8fhNCef

In this case a bus driver rear ended someone but was not responsible! Don't always assume! We don't know and therefore can't pass judgment

Advertisement