Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channel 4HD Free to Air from 10th March

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Beginning April 2011, Freesat will be transmitting Channel 4 HD, thanks to a recently closed deal with Arqiva, the communications infrastructure and media services company that is one of the largest providers of satellite and wireless communications in the UK. The HD version of the channel was launched on Sky+HD in 2007, Virgin Media in 2009, and just recently on Freeview in 2010. Kevin Burrows, CTO of Broadcast and Distribution at Channel 4, sees this deal as the last step for Channel 4, which makes it the UK's first high definition channel from a terrestrial broadcaster. In a recent statement, Burrows said “...we are delighted to entrust this final and important element of our transmission network to their [Arqiva's] care.”

Arqiva, known to provide a variety of network solutions and services, is providing Channel 4 with teleport services and satellite capacity by taking advantage of its DVB-S2 MPEG-4 encoding platform on Eurobird EB1. Simply stated, this technologically advanced platform lets them show Channel 4 HD on Freesat and Sky simultaneously, using just one transponder. It also means that Channel 4 will be able to deliver high quality signal more efficiently.

In Arqiva's official statement, given by Barrie Woolston, Commercial Sales Director, they explained that "Arqiva provides Channel 4 with all its multiplexing systems and its terrestrial broadcast transmitter network, and this agreement means we now also provide Channel 4 HD's satellite distribution. We launched our state-of-the-art DVB-S2 MPEG-4 platform on EB1 to meet the growing demands for high definition channel distribution. The exceptional efficiencies and superb UK coverage it offers makes this the ideal platform for a major national broadcaster like Channel 4."

The HD version of the channel will be transmitting the same programming as SD. Viewers can now enjoy their favourite shows in “spectacular high definition,” as Burrows put it. Some Channel 4 favorites include “Hollyoaks”, “Skins”, and the American TV series, “Ugly Betty.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Paddy C wrote: »
    We've already had that discussion on DS regarding different regions and what they mean to be "this coming xxxxday" and "xxxxday next week"! :D

Where I am from we say "next Friday" and it means 'Friday next week'. If I said "this Friday" it means "the Friday coming this week".
    Where I'm from, the use of "this" and "next" is conditioned by the proximity of the day in question. As this is Tuesday, if I said next Wednesday, it would mean tomorrow week. If I said next Friday, it would mean in three days time;). Isn't our English language wonderful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some Channel 4 favorites include “Hollyoaks”, “Skins”, and the American TV series, “Ugly Betty.”

They may be the Favorites of who ever runs Channel 4. But not mine. What happened to the PSB element and innovative program production?

Are they trying to be a British version of US TV? (Or is that Ch5?)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fredd

It's been free to air for the last few hours. Hopefully this is the switch on.

looks good enough so far may be on and off for testing yet

if u research there is a channel 4 hd aswell as 55300

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Assuming it's still FTA, it not receivable on a SkyHD box at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lgs 4

FINALLY C4 HD is on, with full epg on sky hd box used as freesat box but i thinking if you have a rte sub with sky the card may block it ,updates will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

I tried it without the card in, no change. It's probably the S2 problem with Sky boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

It is fine for me,but not under the 55300 label.
    it is under the Channel 4 HD label.(an LG HD TV but no Sky box or sky sub just the TV's tuner)
    if this is indeed its launch they should have started it with a Striptease in stunning HD,after all this fuss! :)

• Advertisement

I tried it without the card in, no change. It's probably the S2 problem with Sky boxes.
    you should be able to see it have you rte sub may be that update has been send to your card already to block it my folks have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

Sky boxes at present cannot tune in DVB-S2 transponders on a manual scan. This is what is stopping all users with Sky boxes, regardless of their location, from receiving it. Time will tell if Sky update the software to allow manual scanning of DVB-S2 transponders. If and when they do then anyone will be able to tune it in and watch via Other Channels, including ROI customers.

Sky boxes at present cannot tune in DVB-S2 transponders on a manual scan. This is what is stopping all users with Sky boxes, regardless of their location, from receiving it. Time will tell if Sky update the software to allow manual scanning of DVB-S2 transponders. If and when they do then anyone will be able to tune it in and watch via Other Channels, including ROI customers.
    you can get c4 hd in the hd menu if your sky hd box is used as freesat box

Hi Paddy,as Watty(he too has an imposter on DS,but he knows nowt!:))
    Sky are legally obliged to make all FTA channels to be added to extra channels,or at least they were,who knows what the new UK Govt gave Murdoch for his support in his Newspapers?

What was behind the software update that prevented SKY HD box's reverting to the UK's epg after a card withdrawl and reboot?
    Hmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

I have humax foxsat hdr and have done a manual tune but cannot pick up this channel. When I try to enter frequency 12607 it will only default to 12606 v 27500 2/3. Is it not possible to use this 12607 on a humax?

manual tune and enter the new transpoder manually

Sorry for being stupid, but I have transponder icon highlighted but it wont let me manually enter transponder frequency, they are all set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

johntommy wrote: »
    Sorry for being stupid, but I have transponder icon highlighted but it wont let me manually enter transponder frequency, they are all set
    Within the transponder list there is a user defined option. Just tuned it on a humax myself and it is fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

johntommy wrote: »

Keep going all the way to the end of the list and it will let you manually enter one in. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, Celticfc, tonio and nowso for your help.
    Have it tuned now.

celticfc wrote: »
    Keep going all the way to the end of the list and it will let you manually enter one in. :)

celticfc, you just made my day!
    all those times i done a full manual scan when something of interest was testing................. :o
    also now i will be able to keep my non freesat channels in order i like and my favourite's will remain also!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Right… So Channel 4 is now available in glorious HD….. I can tune it in on my Bush HD box, but it is incredibly jerky. It would appear that the first generation of Bush HD boxes can’t cope with the 1920×1080 as it also has problems with the Granada ITV 1 HD.

That’s a tad annoying to say the least.

have u checked that you hae the latest software update for the box

Yeah, the latest version is on the box. I think its just down to the box and its inability to decode 1920X1080. It has no issues with BBC 1HD, BBC HD or ITV 1 London HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Don't forget Channel 4 HD is DVB-S2, the others aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

rlogue wrote: »
    Don't forget Channel 4 HD is DVB-S2, the others aren't.

Which isn't allowing Sky+ HD boxes to manually add it to "Other Channels" at the moment. Probable software update needed i'd say.

@rlogue I can tune in C4HD no problem on the Bush HD, the problem is when watching it. It's like watching an under powered PC trying to playback a HD Video, it just stutters...

Now I have to make the decision, do I stick with Freesat and upgrade to a new box, or do I buy a combi unit for DTT and Satellite. Hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

has anyone got it to display on a VU + box yet?

Edit: now working, just had to delete old channel info from database.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

I think you should definitely buy something :D

mjsmyth wrote: »

Now I have to make the decision, do I stick with Freesat and upgrade to a new box, or do I buy a combi unit for DTT and Satellite. Hmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

Right… So Channel 4 is now available in glorious HD….. I can tune it in on my Bush HD box, but it is incredibly jerky. It would appear that the first generation of Bush HD boxes can’t cope with the 1920×1080 as it also has problems with the Granada ITV 1 HD.

That’s a tad annoying to say the least.

Is Granada ITV1 HD 1920x1080 - I thought it was 1440x1080?

Is C4 HD the first one on Freesat to really be full HD?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Neffa2 wrote: »
    Is C4 HD the first one on Freesat to really be full HD?

ITV1 HD from Granada as you say is already 1920x1080i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Well it's working nicely on my Dreambox and on DVBViewer recording service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Coming in clear on my Ross HD box too.
    Mind you, I'd second neffas query about whether it is actually full HD or just more upscaling?

A pity the channels aren't required by law to stipulate that, like they do with age ratings, flashing images warnings etc. :P

So will Sky Boxes not be able to pick this up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

norbert64 wrote: »
    Coming in clear on my Ross HD box too.
    Mind you, I'd second neffas query about whether it is actually full HD or just more upscaling?

A pity the channels aren't required by law to stipulate that, like they do with age ratings, flashing images warnings etc. :P

I believe it displays the 4HD logo when the content is HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    ITV1 HD from Granada as you say is already 1920x1080i
    What frequency is that on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

muffler wrote: »
    What frequency is that on?

London, Granada, Anglia East and Central West 10.758 V 22000 5/6

here :)

EDIT :- 10832 is meridian Hd which is giving a Dolby Digital audio signal , not sure of the pic quality though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

John mac wrote: »
    London, Granada, Anglia East and Central West 10.758 V 22000 5/6

here :)
    Thanks for that. I thought it may have been different for HD.

@Tony Much as I would like to put some business your way, I think I will have to wait a while and save my pennies!!

I'd hate to give up the 7 Day EPG on Freesat, but I would like to get a combi box for DTT and FTA.. Decisions decisions decisions....

Yeah I know that feeling :) Another poster told me that the ariva will run enigma so maybe there will be a software/internet based satellite epg at some stage in the future

@Tony Much as I would like to put some business your way, I think I will have to wait a while and save my pennies!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi
    I have a Panasonic V20L and have been trying to tune C4 HD today. My tuner is DVB-S and I have been unsuccessful so far. I've tried to manually tune it with the numbers given here but all I get is C4 hd with no signal. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Hi
    I have a Panasonic V20L and have been trying to tune C4 HD today. My tuner is DVB-S and I have been unsuccessful so far. I've tried to manually tune it with the numbers given here but all I get is C4 hd with no signal. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    C4 HD is a DVB-S2 channel, so if your receiver is only DVB-S then it can't show C4 HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

Hi
    Thanks

I have the same TV and I've just tuned it in.

The details I put in were:

Transponder Frequency: 12606
    Symbol Rate: 27500
    Polarisation: Vertical
    Modulation: DVB-S2
    Service ID: Auto

It then tunes in 2 channels, 55300 (which I believe is an encrypted C4HD) and then Channel 4 HD which works perfectly.

Adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I have an mvision HD 300 combo box how do I go about tuning this in, not sure how to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

shortys94 wrote: »
    I have an mvision HD 300 combo box how do I go about tuning this in, not sure how to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=051RHoQtxcE&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi big moe
    I tried that and still no joy. I keep getting no signal. Btw, I go into manual tuning and enter the correct values and like you said, two channels are picked up. One is 55300 a pay channel and the other is shown as channel 4 hd, a free type. when i go into my free list of channels c4 hd comes in at number 320 but still gives no signal. I'm usuing astra 28.2. Is my dish set up wrong or is it my tv? thanks

Thanks John Mac, but I must be inputting wrong infiormation or choosing the incorrect settings because I get every other channel but channel 4 hd???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

Thanks John Mac, but I must be inputting wrong infiormation or choosing the incorrect settings because I get every other channel but channel 4 hd???

We have another video just done up on this - Procedure is done on a piccollo but should be similar enough....You can see the settings on the blog page also.

How to tune in Channel 4 HD

Thank you so much, but I just tried this and I am getting no channels under that frequency, are there some other settings I am not noticing?
    I have it searching on Astra 2D

Btw, I have BBC HD, BBC One HD etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Thank you so much, but I just tried this and I am getting no channels under that frequency, are there some other settings I am not noticing?
    I have it searching on Astra 2D

Btw, I have BBC HD, BBC One HD etc
    I know nothing about your box, so am not sure if it is possible to limit your search to just Astra 2D, but if it is possible, then stop, it not on that satellite. Just search all the ones at 28.2E (I think it's on Eurobird, but am not 100% sure).

Advertisement