Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channel 4HD Free to Air from 10th March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Johnmb wrote: »
    I know nothing about your box, so am not sure if it is possible to limit your search to just Astra 2D, but if it is possible, then stop, it not on that satellite. Just search all the ones at 28.2E (I think it's on Eurobird, but am not 100% sure).

The only one I have at 28.2E Is the astra 2A/2D but I still cannot manage to see it.....

If anyone could tell me what I might be doin gwrong that'd be really helpful

Tuned in on my dreambox, Channel 4 HD working FTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

shortys94 wrote: »
    If anyone could tell me what I might be doin gwrong that'd be really helpful

for me the signal quality is weak 30%( which is still amazing quality to me bty) at best and does go down to 22% so perhaps your your not able to pick up the signal, you might have to adjust the dish a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

JDxtra wrote: »
    I believe it displays the 4HD logo when the content is HD.
    We sure that's not just the DOG/Watermark for the channel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

JDxtra wrote: »
    I believe it displays the 4HD logo when the content is HD.

Yes. 4HD logo visible when HD material is on. No logo at all if it is upscaled SD.

sky23 wrote: »
    for me the signal quality is weak 30%( which is still amazing quality to me bty) at best and does go down to 22% so perhaps your your not able to pick up the signal, you might have to adjust the dish a bit.

But surely if my dish can pick up channel 4 SD it can pick up the HD channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

But surely if my dish can pick up channel 4 SD it can pick up the HD channel?

They are on completely different transponders and different satellites.

Well I still am having no luck with it, and there doesnt seem to be any software updates for the receiver

Well I still am having no luck with it, and there doesnt seem to be any software updates for the receiver

what receiver do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

hi
    As I have posted already I have a Panasonic v20L and have been trying to get C4 HD tuned. Ok it gives me C4 Hd but with "no signal" message.
    Is there anyone out there who has a similar panasonic who is using the built in sat tuner and who can get C4 HD? I get all the FTA stuff including BBC and ITV HD channels. The manual says DVB-S tuner on the main setup page but at the back under specifications summary it says that the receiving system/band is DVB-S / S2 compliant. [Digital sateliite services -mpeg2 and mpeg4-AVC(H.264)].

I wouls be grateful if anyone can shine any light on this. I'm also now aware of serious limitations this TV has visa-viz terrestrial digital reception.
    thanks

what receiver do you have?

I have the mvision 300 HD combo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

hi
    As I have posted already I have a Panasonic v20L and have been trying to get C4 HD tuned. Ok it gives me C4 Hd but with "no signal" message.
    Is there anyone out there who has a similar panasonic who is using the built in sat tuner and who can get C4 HD? I get all the FTA stuff including BBC and ITV HD channels. The manual says DVB-S tuner on the main setup page but at the back under specifications summary it says that the receiving system/band is DVB-S / S2 compliant. [Digital sateliite services -mpeg2 and mpeg4-AVC(H.264)].

I wouls be grateful if anyone can shine any light on this. I'm also now aware of serious limitations this TV has visa-viz terrestrial digital reception.
    thanks

I have a D25L & I'm not sure how the tuning menus compare, but from looking at the spscs of both TV's on the Panasonic web site the tuner configurations seem to be same. My menu gives me 12606, S/R auto, polarisation V, modulation auto, sid auto. A manual scan at this configuration brings up 55300 pay TV & ch 4HD free TV.
    Should you wish you could input the S/R, mod & sid yourself as per channel specs & get the same result.
    And yeah, Panasonic have left their Ireland consumers a little short changed re the DTT spec of their range of Ireland range TV's. They have just buried their heads in the sand on this one & claim their TV's were designed before the full "Saorview" spec was put to bed. I've been there & back with them with no satisfaction & "NO UPGRADES" are planed for the foreseeable future.

thanks Machinehead
    The D25 looks to be cracking set. I take it that you are receiving C4HD? I 'll give that frequency a go and see. Thanks

Yeah "Embarrassing Bodies" (on now) even in upscaled SD looks gruesome. As other posters have said transmissions in native HD carry the "4hd" dog. Hope all works out OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

what are the panasonics missing for DTT?? i have the 50v20l and have all the FTA HD sat channels (inc C4HD) and the rte DTT service as well

actually i have the same and the signal went for me a couple of hours ago for 20 mins and now its back unfortunately the signal is not strong. dunno possibly so as to make it more difficult to pick up outside of uk and ireland. maybe you might have to get a bigger dish or someone here might have some better advice

big_moe wrote: »
    what are the panasonics missing for DTT?? i have the 50v20l and have all the FTA HD sat channels (inc C4HD) and the rte DTT service as well

Well in the case of my TX-L42D25L it's doesn't have MHEG5 for Saorview's own TV guide & possible future interactive services & TXT (IMHO pretty significant omission by Panasonic) & it can't seem to find the new "unnamed" service. This leaves me uncertain about further additions to Saorview. The TV's own guide is pretty basic. Other than DTT I only have "now & next" in the freesat listings & no BBCi or ITV text services. Other than that I'm very impressed with the TV especially the HD pic & DNLA functions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭zanardi

Hi,

I had a similar problem on the Mvision 200 combo, I had to edit the TP to get it working. I picked Eurobird 3 Satellite (One I don't use) and hit the red button to edit the transponder to:

Frequency 12606
    Symbol Rate 27500
    Polarization Vertical-13V
    Modulation DVB-S2 QPSK
    Pilots Off
    FEC 3/4
    Search Option One TP

Once I did this, the S and Q bars came in perfectly, and I was able to tune in C4HD. The Default settings for Astra 2 don't have 12606V set correctly, you can probably edit this directly, but better just to use a satellite setting that you don't use e.g. Eurobird 3.

zanardi wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a similar problem on the Mvision 200 combo, I had to edit the TP to get it working. I picked Eurobird 3 Satellite (One I don't use) and hit the red button to edit the transponder to:

Frequency 12606
    Symbol Rate 27500
    Polarization Vertical-13V
    Modulation DVB-S2 QPSK
    Pilots Off
    FEC 3/4
    Search Option One TP

Once I did this, the S and Q bars came in perfectly, and I was able to tune in C4HD. The Default settings for Astra 2 don't have 12606V set correctly, you can probably edit this directly, but better just to use a satellite setting that you don't use e.g. Eurobird 3.

I tried the eurobird 3 but there is no 12606 frequency available to choose.....

Maybe it is the satellite position ugh, is this hard to fix

• Advertisement

When I am setting the satellite options the signal and Quality are up around 80% but once I search for channels the quality drops to 2 percent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭zanardi

I tried the eurobird 3 but there is no 12606 frequency available to choose.....

Maybe it is the satellite position ugh, is this hard to fix

Relax, its in the same position as your other fta channels. You can just type in the 12606 freq in the box as you edit the tp after pressing the red button. Make sure you set all the parameters as I posted.

Keep the faith - you're almost there!

zanardi wrote: »
    Relax, its in the same position as your other fta channels. You can just type in the 12606 freq in the box as you edit the tp after pressing the red button. Make sure you set all the parameters as I posted.

Keep the faith - you're almost there!

Thanks soooo much, worked perfectly!! Thanks again man!

Just got C4hd tuned in. Had to erase all channel lists and did a a manual tune. Many thanks to all for their kind advice.

my signal keeps breaking up its so frustrating the signal quality is really low. is there anything i can do to improve it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

my signal keeps breaking up its so frustrating the signal quality is really low. is there anything i can do to improve it?
    Re align your dish for 28.2 and 28.5 east, or get a bigger dish. Ive no problems on a solid 80cm Gilbertini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

mjsmyth wrote: »
    Right… So Channel 4 is now available in glorious HD….. I can tune it in on my Bush HD box, but it is incredibly jerky. It would appear that the first generation of Bush HD boxes can’t cope with the 1920×1080 as it also has problems with the Granada ITV 1 HD.

That’s a tad annoying to say the least.

I had the chance to test 2 other 1st gen Bush Freesat HD receivers over the weekend and they both had no issues playing C4HD. The picture looked quite impressive. I guess the problem is with my receiver!

Oh well.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭liamtech

its not a Sat4free box is it?

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

snaps wrote: »
    Re align your dish for 28.2 and 28.5 east, or get a bigger dish. Ive no problems on a solid 80cm Gilbertini.

yeah i suppose its needs a realigning. the bother of going up on the roof though haha don't really know how, i might end up making it worse :p

• Advertisement

liamtech wrote: »
    its not a Sat4free box is it?

Nope, it's an official Freesat box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

got this tuned in now on w7mce.

needed to edit the satellites.xml file and use the dvb-s2 patch tool so that the hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 and w7mce could scan dvb-s2.

link here for those with the same card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭lgs 4

a change in start date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

lgs 4 wrote: »
    a change in start date
    Using that gobsh**e to promote your channel wouldn't strike me as being a great idea!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭johntommy

Still no official start date

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

blueser wrote: »
    Using that gobsh**e to promote your channel wouldn't strike me as being a great idea!!
    :D

Logically you're quite correct, but this is the bizarroworld where "talent" like Jedward become rich beyond the dreams of avarice. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Logically you're quite correct, but this the bizarroworld where "talent" like Jedward become rich beyond the dreams of avarice. :D
    So true, unfortunately.

Well I got a replacement Bush Freesat HD box off a family member who upgraded to a Freesat PVR and Ch4 HD is now working fine. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Logically you're quite correct, but this is the bizarroworld where "talent" like Jedward become rich beyond the dreams of avarice. :D

Actually, the ability to talk hundreds of women out of their knickers is a rare talent. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rep8888

All the posts i have read about channel 4 hd have said to tune this in use 12606 v 27500 i have a ariva 200 combo and have channel 4 hd tuned in via
    12560 v 27500 is this a duplicate freq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

any news on when this will be available on the sky box,ive tried the frequency mention but all i get is no signal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Rick_

Sky boxes CANNOT manually tune in any satellite transponders that are DVB-S2.

Guess what type of transponder Channel 4 HD is on...?

Sky need to update the software to allow this, when they will do this, if at all, is anyones guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

i thought they legally had to to allow any fta channel to be tunned in?but this is sky i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Channel 4 have chosen unusual settings for this broadcast - probably to prevent Sky boxes accessing it during the testing phase.

Surely Sky boxes still wont be able to tune it in when it launches officially on Freesat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

other hd stations are due to follow simular settings.
    Going on freesat wont make it available on sky.

Nowso wrote: »
    other hd stations are due to follow simular settings.
    Going on freesat wont make it available on sky.

Sky will still be able to add them to the EPG. All of Sky's HD channels are DVB-S2 already. It is only adding to Other Channels that is problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

C4 HD is already on the Sky EPG in the UK. There is no guarantee that Sky will allow manual tuning of S2 channels - especially if it's only to accomodate Irish viewers or UK viewers who don't have a Sky box. They may be compelled to, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

C4 HD is already on the Sky EPG in the UK. There is no guarantee that Sky will allow manual tuning of S2 channels - especially if it's only to accomodate Irish viewers or UK viewers who don't have a Sky box. They may be compelled to, but I'm not holding my breath.

channel 4 and film 4 gone from freesat now

Wonder where that has gone. At least the HD version still works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

ftakeith wrote: »
    channel 4 and film 4 gone from freesat now

Yeah, we've lost the SD versions of C4 and Film 4. The +1 versions are there I think.

Edit: And they've just reappeared.

• Advertisement
Advertisement