Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back door lock

• 21-02-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

So we have a patio door, it's a set of double doors with a 3 or 5 point lock (cant remember which), during last summer, it became a little difficult to lock, however during the winter it was fine.

This problem has started to occur again today, basically the door is a little more difficult to close (feels like something is rubbing) and then when you pull the handle up to engage the points it is either very stiff or nearly impossible to pull up.

One method that has worked for me before is pull the door/handle towards the hinge and then upwards, so again, something is obviously interfering with the lock.

I'm guessing something needs adjusting here, but I'm not sure how to adjust these doors, does anyone have any tips or have run into this problem before?

The type of door I'm talking about is kinda like this;

Patio-Door-Pics.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I had a similar problem which I resolved by adjusting the hinges.My door is from Gradys windows and the three hinges on each side have a cap that can be removed showing an allen key grub screw which adjusts the hinge.

I fixed mine by trial and error, a little adjustment one way then the other, also make sure the tracks and frame are clear of debris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Thanks for that, I'll have a look and see where the grub screws are...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Any joy with the door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I know its not quite the same issue but the OP might find some general patio door management ideas here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056020546

The Op's problem is perhaps due to thermal expansion due to the sun

Advertisement