Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems connecting to Lotro Servers for eircom customers

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

just reading all these posts, the eircom representatives all seem like there machines, only apologies about replying, not one apology about there customer service in getting a resolution to this quick, to be blunt, they don't care. Glad I'm with UPC.

Hope you all get a fix soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭shanous

Can we get an update on this?
    Time something was actually done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ive actually givenup on Eircom sorting this out and am looking into switching ISP. This issue is not going to be resoved any time soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Glebee wrote: »
    Ive actually givenup on Eircom sorting this out and am looking into switching ISP. This issue is not going to be resoved any time soon....

Likewise, I have already completed the order form to switch to Vodafone...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Lister1 wrote: »
    Likewise, I have already completed the order form to switch to Vodafone...

Same as, Vodafone offer looks ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

[COLOR=Black]Hi guys,

eircom have made contact with codemasters and we are now in a direct dialogue and working on locating the problem and working towards a resolution. We received an update from a systems operations manager in eircom who is dealing with the issue as follows:

“We have looked at our external internet links and are seeing some internet traffic peaks which may cause problems for some users at peak times. There is a capacity increase in progress over the next 3-4 weeks which should resolve this issue. We are re-routing traffic in the interim to minimise impact on customers.”

I assure you that eircom are taking the matter seriously. I appreciate the delay is frustrating but as I said as soon as we receive any further updates that confirms the problem has been located a remedy and time-frame is established we will let you know immediately.

Thanks, Mark [/COLOR]

At peak times? This happens ALL of the time.
    This guy seems to have figured the exact issue:
    Ok I am the one that set ***** up on a VPN through our UK hosted servers. This proves that the issue is a networking one. The client initially connects to the lotro authentication server on port 80 (standard web) and then the authentication takes place over port 443 (SSL encrypted web) which is as expected as the authentication will be encrypted to protect our account details. After this initial handshake pretty much all information then goes between the client (your computer) and the world server via UDP. The communication is in fact incredibly efficient using only 7MB per hour...but that is irrelevant.
    The problem that you are all having is that the UDP packets are not flowing between your computer and the server, there is a blockage in the pipe. If the issue was software related then the VPN would not have changed anything and ****** would still not be able to play. Running client side applications like Wireshark or any other network tool will not help as the client will not be able to diagnose where or why the UDP packets are not traversing the network as they should be.
    As the issue is not seen anywhere else in the world (we have Kin players from many countries) the responsibility lies with Eircom to resolve the issue. At a guess there is some traffic shaping algorithm that is kicking in and either dropping or significantly slowing the UDP stream causing the game to fail. It may be that the network profile of Lotro has changed following an update but as every other ISP in the world does not take issue with it the burden of responsibility still lies with Eircom.
    I am not trying to bash any company or organisation, pretty much every ISP will utilise traffic shaping of some sort to optimise the network load and without it the internet would not be the place we know and love. CM standpoint seems completely valid to me and the fact they are consulting with Eircom is fantastic, not all companies would do the same; believe me I have worked with a few.
    The only hope is Eircom can identify the issue and free up the UDP packet flow and for your sake I hope they do that very, very quickly.

Read that and fix it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ragnor

almost 3 weeks and they cant even locate the problem yet, i,m gonna start shopping around for a new isp, this level of support is a disgrace, i,ll bet not one person here was contacted after repeatedly contacting broadband support by phone to log a prblm, i know i wasnt contacted to update me on the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SRavenlock

[COLOR=Black]Hi guys,

eircom have made contact with codemasters and we are now in a direct dialogue and working on locating the problem and working towards a resolution. We received an update from a systems operations manager in eircom who is dealing with the issue as follows:

“We have looked at our external internet links and are seeing some internet traffic peaks which may cause problems for some users at peak times. There is a capacity increase in progress over the next 3-4 weeks which should resolve this issue. We are re-routing traffic in the interim to minimise impact on customers.”

I assure you that eircom are taking the matter seriously. I appreciate the delay is frustrating but as I said as soon as we receive any further updates that confirms the problem has been located a remedy and time-frame is established we will let you know immediately.

Thanks, Mark [/COLOR]

3 or 4 weeks is too long to wait for customers on a service they pay for.

This is not a peaktime problem, this happens at any time of the day. It always happens while playing LOTRO, and the connection is fine if I swap over to a different MMO.
    It doesn't matter if I log in at 10 am in the morning, 7 pm in the evening, or 2 am at night (I'm a staying at home mum with a chrronically ill child, I'm online at some pretty odd times), the problem is there.

There is simply a communication problem between the client and the server, that results in the client not receiving the information it needs to update and properly display on the screen what is going on. Because other games play fine, and other LOTRO customers have no problems what so ever, this is an issue between you and Codemasters.

Exactly what SRavenlock has said.
    Your service is an absolute disgrace.
    Fix it quick, we do not pay you to tell us to wait.
    Get on it or you will lose countless amounts of customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shardx

Looking into getting UPC myself this is going on too long and having to wait another 3-4 weeks for the problem to be fixed, no guarantee that it will be either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SRavenlock

Last night I logged in and was able to play for several hours in a row without any problems :D
    I could even turn all my settings up and keep the framerate per second at 30 :D

It seems the problem is solved, I hope it stays this way. Thank you very much for fixing it, and a big thank you to all the people who kept posting/ringing/nagging to get it fixed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Anamareth

Been playing for a couple of hours today so far so good,:D thank you to CM and Eircom, and to all the players who campaigned in forums. (Hope this lasts.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Derrick

Hi again,

While I may not have been impressed with the speed with which Eircom engaged with everyone, I am nevertheless happy the issue is resolved and I was brought up with manners :-) so I just wanted to say thanks to all involved, the Eircom personnel, the Codemasters personnel and most of all to those on both this forum and the Codemasters forum who worked every day to help resolve the issue and keep it foremost in the minds of our two vendors!

Thanks again and enjoy playing LoTRo again,

Kind regards,
    Derrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Derrick wrote: »
    Hi again,

While I may not have been impressed with the speed with which Eircom engaged with everyone, I am nevertheless happy the issue is resolved and I was brought up with manners :-) so I just wanted to say thanks to all involved, the Eircom personnel, the Codemasters personnel and most of all to those on both this forum and the Codemasters forum who worked every day to help resolve the issue and keep it foremost in the minds of our two vendors!

Thanks again and enjoy playing LoTRo again,

Kind regards,
    Derrick
    Hi Derrick
    Thanks for your post and thanks to everyone for their contribution and comments in this matter.
    yes it does show the power of open forums, in bringing attention to the issue, being a centre for collecting relevant info on the problem and eventually in ensuring the issue was resolved.
    We are genuinely happy that this has been fixed and our apologies for the disruption in service.
    eircom mods

Finally after many failed contacts and no-body knowing what i was on about i finally received 1 months line rental reimbursment, somehow i,m not quite happy with that considering it took so long and and was handled so badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Ragnor wrote: »
    Finally after many failed contacts and no-body knowing what i was on about i finally received 1 months line rental reimbursment, somehow i,m not quite happy with that considering it took so long and and was handled so badly

Hi Ragnor,

Thanks again. I apologise for the delay and inconvenience. Please let us know if this has now been resolved for you.

If we can help with any issue just let us know.

Kind regards

Ant

having problems again, have had engineers out now 3 times with no fix in sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Ragnor wrote: »
    having problems again, have had engineers out now 3 times with no fix in sight

Hi Ragnor
    sorry to hear this, if you PM me your tel. no I will chase this for you.
    Tony

Advertisement