Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best broadband in laois without telephone line?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decent broadband service in Laois without the need for a phoneline?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Obaraten wrote: »
    Magnet fibre?where ya living?

Mountmellick. I'll look it up thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Dunno bout Mountmellick but Ive had no complaints about the UPC in Portlaoise so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I'm using Three prepay broadband for over 3 years now, sometimes Tullamore, sometimes Mountmellick. OCCASIONALLY, it will act up, like over Christmas and like this week, when the teens are off school. But only last night really. Grand apart from that.

But I will say this; - It had its issues going back 2 Christmases but ever since then, its been quite good. If you're interested in mobility, I would look to see if you can test one of their mifi devices and set it in a window. That way you have wireless around the house and the best signal you can hope for. Personally, I have NO problems using it for skype, watching films e.g. Rte Player, Project free tv etc etc. It very rarely acts up.

If you're in Mountmellick, you'll know that the mobi signals can be dodgy at times/ God only knows why, although I think even HE would be hard pressed to really know.

For what I like, mobility, I have no qualms with PAYG BB with Three. Excellent value at €25 pm. I don't even bother with a telly or a licence. I do it all through the dongle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Thanks for all the replies. UPC isn't an option at the moment. They haven't reached me yet.

Does anyone have any views on Premier Broadband in the area? €99 set up fee then €25 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

I used o2 in Mountrath for a long time, was great, tried 3 mobile first and it couldn't get a bit of signal, Have tried meteor recently and its not great, probably no use to you as its a good distance from Mountmellick,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

My son uses premier also in Mountmellick though outside the town. It works fine for him although it does go down sometimes. But not for to long.One of the important factors is a line of sight between the house and the mast carrying the signal. Maybe you should check out the mast location in relation to your house.
    Also as far as I know premier will call out and give you a trial signal for a few days while you make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Missed this Thread, as much as it pains me to admit it 3 Broadband is and has been the best provider in the Clonaslee area. I have tried them all over the years, Vodafone Blank and O2 adequate if you fancy sitting on the roof of your house. Service by 3 is helped by a new mast erected over 15 months ago. Apart from this compliment of 3, They have the worst customer service in the world and useless if the system is down but this has only happened once in the past 15 months or so. Oddly enough 3 is very very poor in Tullamore as is Vodafone & o2 for some bizarre reason.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

wouldn't mind knowing the same thing for abbeyleix.have a friend using pure telecom but he has the phone line, which i dont want. .anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

If Aptus cover your arrea I can't recommend them highly enough.

www.aptus.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

If Aptus cover your arrea I can't recommend them highly enough.

www.aptus.ie

Just had a look at that. http://www.aptus.ie/solum.html

Unless 3 Broadband is very poor in your area, then Aptus is poor value.

http://shop.three.ie/catalogue/products/view/huawei-e122-black/50978/T010121?awc=2809_1328113745_7dbc99245578f62560d7a6701cc9cb76 and

http://www.three.ie/products_services/broadband/billpay-broadband.html

30.49 per month for 60GB transfer. I get up to 5Mbs download and 2mbps up. In Mountmellick town admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I've been using 3 for about 2½ years now. It's not as fast as the service I have when in Helsinki, but a quantum leap improvement on the dial-up connection I had with Eircom. It nearly broke my heart and was usable only for e-mails - and not good even at that.:mad:

Then I got the 3 connection and am delighted with it. It costs about €23 a month. It was a real pleasure to call Eircom and tell them where they could stick their fixed line. I suppose the nearest base station to me is on top of the Heritage golf monstrosity in Killenard.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭stan1979

up until the start of the new year i would have recommended 3 for broadband but since the new year my speeds have been shocking. most i have managed to get is.25 on downloads. still waiting for a response to solve the problem which i have been told is im picking up the wrong mast, instead of picking up a mast which is less than 2 km away i picking up a mast that is 22km away
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056512038

regards
    stan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Rob113 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. UPC isn't an option at the moment. They haven't reached me yet.

Does anyone have any views on Premier Broadband in the area? €99 set up fee then €25 per month.

Did you by any chance go ahead with premier broadband? Thinking of moving to them myself as my connection with 3 has gone downhill lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I was with 3 but changed to meteor only last week. they had an off on until the 31 Dec 12. So far it seems quite good but need more time to be sure.
    Hi Speed Broadband should be rolled out in the next few Months if we can believe the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

I have crap meteor phone signal here so couldn't see there broadband being any better than what i have.

Guy from eircom told me a few months ago that they had no plans to upgrade our line for broadband

Advertisement