Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another few photos from the radian. This time at Lough Sillan, Shercock, Co. Cavan.

Options
  • 21-02-2011 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭

Lough Sillan
    LoughSillan.jpg

Lough Sillan again.
    LoughSillan2.jpg

Flying toward Milltown Lake but turned to look back at Sillan
    LoughSillan3.jpg

Milltown Lake & Lough Annaghierin to the right, glider now 2.3km from take off point back at Lough Sillan
    MilltownAnnaghieranLakes.jpg

Milltown Lake
    Milltownlake.jpg

Just turning back toward Lough Sillan, Edge of Milltown lake below
    Milltownlake2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lovely pics robbie well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

They are stills from this video

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Nice video & pics Robbie.
    You managed to make the fields look very small in it.
    What height do you guess you got up to roughly?

I have a good idea what height it was, a bit too high, 550 meters. I was flying it with video and eagle tree system. The glider was gliding at 30kph in any direction as it was almost dead calm, the camera stopped recording which was a pity as when i flew back to first lake there was a fella water skiing and i could see him in the live view on a tv i was using. But the camera only recorded until you see it stopping in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ryan0

What's up dude? I've been following your stuff on youtube! It's awesome! How expensive was your fpv set up? (bar the radian)

• Advertisement

Im not sure how much it all was now, i did not actually buy it myself, (i ordered most of it), as its belong to another fella and i use it sometimes, but i put it all together for him which is a bit involved. On the glider is a video transmitter, eagle tree pro OSD, eagle tree elogger v4 with 100 amp current sensor, and the eagle tree gps expander.

On the ground we have the eagle tree ground station which has antenna tracking, 4 video-audio outputs, 2 video receiver diversity, and telemetry which can show live in google earth where the plane is if a laptop is connected to the groundstation.

I at first had all the wiring taped to the outside of the radian but later i wired it inside and used multiplex 6 pin plugs and sockets to allow plugging in and out of camera and video transmitter.

Just looking at the prices now. The eagle tree osd pro with the elogger and gps module is €205 here

The eagle tree ground station is here, i cant remember where i got this myself, but here is one, the eagle tree ground FPV its called, 5th from bottom of that page.

I built the ground station pan and tilt myslef from ply wood and used 2 RC yacht servos and gears and shafts from spare helicopter parts i had, all driven by that eagle tree ground station thing, its on my youtube site here, 11th video in list.

I used a cheap €10 euro camera for the actual navigating view, and a portable tv for viewing.

There was a fair bit involved in setting it all up properly, the bigest thing is the automatic return to home which is designed to be tested in menu`s on the screen which can be accessed through 2 spare channels on the radio, but i managed to set up return to home to come on at the flick of a switch to test it, or it comes on at loss of radio signal too.

Do you fly anything at the moment?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Im not sure how much it all was now, i did not actually buy it myself, (i ordered most of it), as its belong to another fella and i use it sometimes, but i put it all together for him which is a bit involved. On the glider is a video transmitter, eagle tree pro OSD, eagle tree elogger v4 with 100 amp current sensor, and the eagle tree gps expander.

On the ground we have the eagle tree ground station which has antenna tracking, 4 video-audio outputs, 2 video receiver diversity, and telemetry which can show live in google earth where the plane is if a laptop is connected to the groundstation.

I at first had all the wiring taped to the outside of the radian but later i wired it inside and used multiplex 6 pin plugs and sockets to allow plugging in and out of camera and video transmitter.

Just looking at the prices now. The eagle tree osd pro with the elogger and gps module is €205 here

The eagle tree ground station is here, i cant remember where i got this myself, but here is one, the eagle tree ground FPV its called, 5th from bottom of that page.

I built the ground station pan and tilt myslef from ply wood and used 2 RC yacht servos and gears and shafts from spare helicopter parts i had, all driven by that eagle tree ground station thing, its on my youtube site here, 11th video in list.

I used a cheap €10 euro camera for the actual navigating view, and a portable tv for viewing.

There was a fair bit involved in setting it all up properly, the bigest thing is the automatic return to home which is designed to be tested in menu`s on the screen which can be accessed through 2 spare channels on the radio, but i managed to set up return to home to come on at the flick of a switch to test it, or it comes on at loss of radio signal too.

Do you fly anything at the moment?

That sounds like a right job to set up :O I was watching on boards of the radian alright, nice stuff! So how much do you reckon getting it all set up bar a portable tv wold cost? Cables etc all inclusive? What's the range atm? I fly two heli's for now... A cp gold 300 class and a CX 450SE V2... Once i'm done upgrading the 450 and get a dx7 i'm building a Trex 600 ESP... after that i'll probably get a few planes! You flying anything bar the radian? Know of any good cheap onboard cams that are super light? Cheers!

Ryan0 wrote: »
    That sounds like a right job to set up :O I was watching on boards of the radian alright, nice stuff! So how much do you reckon getting it all set up bar a portable tv wold cost? Cables etc all inclusive? What's the range atm? I fly two heli's for now... A cp gold 300 class and a CX 450SE V2... Once i'm done upgrading the 450 and get a dx7 i'm building a Trex 600 ESP... after that i'll probably get a few planes! You flying anything bar the radian? Know of any good cheap onboard cams that are super light? Cheers!

I fly the radian, a p51 mustang nitro plane the odd time but not often now, cularis glider which i fly most now, a t-rex 450 and a t-rex 600.

It would probably be up to €600 euro for the entire lot for the eagle tree setup if you were having the tracking station and antenna on the ground.

I fly the radian, a p51 mustang nitro plane the odd time but not often now, cularis glider which i fly most now, a t-rex 450 and a t-rex 600.

It would probably be up to €600 euro for the entire lot for the eagle tree setup if you were having the tracking station and antenna on the ground.

Ah thats not too bad i guess! Is the 600 a 600n,e,or esp?

Ah thats not too bad i guess! Is the 600 a 600n,e,or esp?

Its a 600e, i got it in early 2008.

• Advertisement

Its a 600e, i got it in early 2008.

Ah cool, how does it fly? Do you find it underpowered?

Very easy to fly, very smooth and responsive. It has plenty of power. There is a video of it on my youtube site as well.

Very easy to fly, very smooth and responsive. It has plenty of power. There is a video of it on my youtube site as well.

Just had a look there, it's lovely, nice auto too! I can't wait to get my esp! Don't suppose you're selling that dx7? What model is your 450, is it the 450l?

Just had a look there, it's lovely, nice auto too! I can't wait to get my esp! Don't suppose you're selling that dx7? What model is your 450, is it the 450l?

No the DX7 i cant see myself selling that. I got a the DX6i for the son, and it would fly the 600 no problem, i would of got that myself except the DX7 was out first, the DX6 was before that but was not full range.

The 450 is the 450s model which i got in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

I've seen Robbie throwing this thing around the air. Under-powered, it is most definitely not! Near scared the brown out of me.

backboiler wrote: »
    I've seen Robbie throwing this thing around the air. Under-powered, it is most definitely not! Near scared the brown out of me.

Have you had any more goes at flying the radian?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

I haven't, Rob. I've barely got time to eat these last few days because that delivery I mentioned arrived at the weekend. :-)
    I did get a USB controller and given it a try with Flightgear and FMS (think that's the name). I've managed to land a few times and have some practical idea of the effects of the inputs so after another while if I don't get a chance to back to your place I might give it a go.
    I downloaded the demo of Realflight G5.5 at some stage too. It's limited to keyboard (so binary on-off) controls but I managed to land there once or twice too. It's some program, just like watching a video. Pricy though...

Advertisement