If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HiFi Setup for Turntable

Options
  • 21-02-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I received a SL1200 turnable as a gift and I want to purchase an amplifier and speakers as I plan to use this for home listening rather than scratching.

I would be setting up the system in a mid size room 4.5m * 5m. My budget would be €500 for speakers and an amp. Could you advise me on an amp with a good phono stage and a suitable speaker combo.

I plan to buy a tuner and CD player at a later date. Would it make sense to buy an integrated tuner/amp or will this compromise on quality?
    Is their any benefit to using a phono preamp rather than the phono input on an integrated amp?
    Also the turntable has a a Shure M44-7 cartridge which I believe is designed for scratching. Would it be advisable to change this to suit my requirements?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DrJakoby

Hi Fellas,
    Any feedback on this? I could stretch the budget a bit if you think that is an issue.

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

DrJakoby wrote: »
    I received a SL1200 turnable as a gift and I want to purchase an amplifier and speakers as I plan to use this for home listening rather than scratching.

I would be setting up the system in a mid size room 4.5m * 5m. My budget would be €500 for speakers and an amp. Could you advise me on an amp with a good phono stage and a suitable speaker combo.

I plan to buy a tuner and CD player at a later date. Would it make sense to buy an integrated tuner/amp or will this compromise on quality?
    Is their any benefit to using a phono preamp rather than the phono input on an integrated amp?
    Also the turntable has a a Shure M44-7 cartridge which I believe is designed for scratching. Would it be advisable to change this to suit my requirements?

Thanks

Dr Jak,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - and to answer the last question 1st (as we often do as we are awkward that way :rolleyes:) no you don't need to spend more than €500 - the only reason we did not reply is that we had 'snow blindness' ie we answered all the posts around yours - but for some reason, not your - Apologies again..

Anyway - given I'm the oldest one in the Company for some obscure reason I have been appointed as the 'Turntable Guru' and congratulations on the SL1200 - the Shure cart is not the worst sounding and I feel that it will be fine but if you did want to improve it you could add the excellent Goldring Elektra at €64.99 or if you wanted to get a little more serious I would recommend the Goldring 2100 which is significantly more expensive at €129.99 but is equally rewarding.

On the amp & speaker front...

...a lot depends on what you listen to - if you listen to mainly Jazz /Rock/pop I would go with the following:

Denon PMA710AE Amplifier:
    http://denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=4983297a-4f3b-4d8d-b83f-fb7b49f8b0a6&SubId=382959a5-3966-49af-8d66-cc751e41b0ad&ProductId=312e9560-08a8-4eea-952e-943fbe2907cb
    Wharfedale CR30.4 Floorstanding speakers
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/wharfedale/cr30.4/whar-cr30.4-blk

Normally retails at £499.95/ €579 - I can do a Boardie deal at £419.95 /€479.99 - I would add some Cambridge Symphony 400 speaker cable (say 6 mtrs) at £2.49/€2.99 Mtr. - total £14.94 / €17.94 to give you a grand total of £434.89 / €497.93

If you listen to a lot of Classical I would change things around a little:

Marantz PM6003 Amplifier
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/Marantz-PM6003/
    Monitor Audio BX2 Speakers
    http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Monitor-Audio-Bronze-BX2/
    Pixel T50 Speaker Stands
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-stands-brackets/pixel/t50/pixe-t50-stand

Retail should be £569.85 - I can do it at £449.95 / €529.99 (that's a really cracking deal!) Again I would add some decent speaker cable!

Apologies again for the delay getting back to you - If you reply I'll do my best to get on the case a lot faster than this reply :o:o

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.