Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the difference between a computer science and a software engineering course?

• 21-02-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering is there a major difference between a standard or general computer science course (whether degree/masters) and a course in software engineering/development (degree/masters)? Are they not the same thing? Is a computer science course more generalised and not specific as software engineering course? Such as a computer science course is so general like that it might have different angles like multmedia/enterprise/programming while a software engineering is pure programming and specific in other areas? Would careers vary after completing either course or would they likely to be well rounded?

I happen to find an article on this and made me realise that there is a difference when it comes to the world of work but is there a major difference what you would cover in those courses though? Basically what the link below states that software engineering is not computer science?
    Any one who has done a similar course could they give me an idea if that is the case?

http://www.stevemcconnell.com/psd/04-senotcs.htm

Advertisement