Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cover for attic water tank

Options
  • 21-02-2011 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Anyone know where I can (locally) get a cover for an attic water tank? 24 x48"..or would I be best to get a piece of ply wood cut to size?

Also thinkin about cleaning it out...any tips? its full of decades of sludge:(...thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Please ignore requests for cleaning out tank...i just found a good post in boards..:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭biscuiteater

i think we have polystyrene board on ours. i know at one point we put Milton stylising fluid in and it had to flush through the hole system..but we had the water tested at the time from a bloke from the council and he gave us instructions how to do it, just it was a long time ago so i don't remember how much went in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Anyone know where I can (locally) get a cover for an attic water tank? 24 x48"..or would I be best to get a piece of ply wood cut to size?

Also thinkin about cleaning it out...any tips? its full of decades of sludge:(...thanks
    black bag,duck tape, insulation and a black bag over that as well.cheep and effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If you're getting ply cut to size, make sure your attic door is wider than the wood!

LOL RSB...I'll bear that in mind...:D
    If you're getting ply cut to size, make sure your attic door is wider than the wood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

black bag,duck tape, insulation and a black bag over that as well.cheep and effective.

A tank is not the thing you want to be cheap and cheerful any more with the last two winters we had,it will cost alot more in the long run if it goes wrong.
    what would do the job would be some of the 4x2 2''+ sheets of insulation you'll get them in either Brooks or buckleys.cut the with a Stanley Knife nice and easy

Good call Sligo's#1..thanks
    sligono1 wrote: »
    A tank is not the thing you want to be cheap and cheerful any more with the last two winters we had,it will cost alot more in the long run if it goes wrong.
    what would do the job would be some of the 4x2 2''+ sheets of insulation you'll get them in either Brooks or buckleys.cut the with a Stanley Knife nice and easy

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

i did this job this autumn as well and it worked very well, even though i lost heat on christmas eve till well after st stephans day. House is relatively new build so was able to dictate size of attic opening.Got 5 sheets of 2 inch kinspan insulation - price around for value. Made up a template for each side to allow for pipe inlets/ exits etc then cut to suit for a snug fit against the side. I oversized two of the 4 sides by 4 inches to allow for the join with the other two sides. All held together with about a dozen 6 inch nails for ease of removal if needed. just pushed through the both sheets. BTW, Christmas dinner was eaten in the one room with open fire on our knees, but thats another story!

also Brooks do a 'pink panther loft door insulation (looks like a small tent) for around 60 euro. I made up an oversize frame to allow for the folded stira stairs, put a cheap bit of hardboard for the lid, put two hinges on it, insulated with the kingspan leftovers and voila.... an airtight loft insulation... see Stira website for the really expensive alternative.... mine cost around €30 to make up complete. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

The best insulation for side of tank is fiberglass, rockwool etc. It can be tied right up to the sides unlike solid sheets. On top plywood with some kingspan or polystyrene will do. Also make sure all pipes are insulated or else its just a waste if only doing tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Before the winter I bought a lid for my attic tank in buckleys for about €22. Insulated the tank. No frozen tank like the year before.

• Advertisement
Advertisement