Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem connecting laptop to upc connection

• 21-02-2011 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I am not sure if this is the right section for this but anyway I got my upc package installed today and while the landline phone and channels are working grand, im having problems connecting my laptop to the internet. I even called back the service technician and he tried everythiing and couldnt connect it, he even disabled the security as he thoought that may have been preventing it from connecting, however it still didnt work.
    To prove that the connection was there and working fine he tried connecting his i phone and he was able to connect it no problem.
    He said the only thing he thinks may be the problem is that the wireless card inside the laptop is broken so I have given my laptop to a friend for the night to see if he can connect it to his upc at his home, does anyone have idea what else it could be in the meantime?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's UPC it's probably the Wi-Fi channel being used by the router, try channel 6 (change it from Auto) and that will probably fix it.

My (Cisco) UPC router uses 'Auto' as the default setting for the Wi-Fi channel and it uses channel 1. I have to manually set the channel to channel 6 in order for my iTouch to connect over Wi-Fi. The next time the router is reset (power off & on), the setting goes back to Auto but it stays on channel 6. On the next reset after that it goes back to channel 1 and I have to manually set it back to channel 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭noshankus

Can your laptop even see the wireless network? Normally you could double-click on the little icon in the bottom right and it will show you a list of available wireless networks.

Of course, we're assuming that you do actually have a wireless card. In the mean-time why not connect it via an ethernet cable to get internet access.

Also, I hope he re-enabled the security!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Please be more specific about the problem. Can you detect wireless networks? What happens when you try to connect? Does it fail when you put in the WPA key? Does it connect to the wifi but you son't have internet? Also, include the make and model of your laptop and the operating system (e.g. windows XP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Get an ethernet cable plug laptop in to router,thru the ethernet ,plug other end into lan connector on the laptop.BROWSE to 192.168.1.1,thats routers setup page. KNOCK off security ,does your laptop ,pickup the wifi signal now.
    change the security encryption mode,from wpa 1 ,to wpa 2 ,turn security back on .Change the channel no ,as posted above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ricman wrote: »
    Get an ethernet cable plug laptop in to router,thru the ethernet ,plug other end into lan connector on the laptop.BROWSE to 192.168.1.1,thats routers setup page. KNOCK off security ,does your laptop ,pickup the wifi signal now.
    change the security encryption mode,from wpa 1 ,to wpa 2 ,turn security back on .Change the channel no ,as posted above.

But do these one at a time, otherwise if your laptop works you won't know what caused the problem. If it is the Wi-Fi channel you'll need to be aware of it because after two resets (power down & up) of the router you'll need to reset the channel back to 6 as I outlined in my first post above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement