Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avensis D4D question

• 21-02-2011 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

I've got to look at an Avensis D4D tomorrow (2005 to be exact). Does anyone know for definite if these have a lift pump in the fuel tank?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No they don't, you're better off getting a 6 speed 125hp 06 model,
    They have shorter 1st and 2nd gears so much better at low speeds.

Flywheels on 5 speed can be clunky on startup, budget a grand for a new one.
    EGRs can be sticky, 4th and 5th can whine, pre heater system can break if left on all the time. Most owners don't even know it has one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

shamwari,
    If you pm me your email address i'll send you on info on the d4d...:)
    what problems is the customer having with it...is it hard started when the engine is hot...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Yep Row, its hard to start with engine hot. The owner had his mate "with a laptop look at it and could find nothing wrong". I advised that the rail pressure be looked at and he said he couldn't see any data for it in his software nor any fault codes.....and he came to the conclusion that that it was and EGR fault :rolleyes:

I know that there are supposedly two solenoids which grief on these things so I'll be looking at these first. PM sent with my email, although I reckon I might already have what you send me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

shamwari wrote: »
    Yep Row, its hard to start with engine hot. The owner had his mate "with a laptop look at it and could find nothing wrong". I advised that the rail pressure be looked at and he said he couldn't see any data for it in his software nor any fault codes.....and he came to the conclusion that that it was and EGR fault :rolleyes:

I know that there are supposedly two solenoids which grief on these things so I'll be looking at these first. PM sent with my email, although I reckon I might already have what you send me :D

Hi shamwari,
    I'll send on the info anyway...:)
    I have seen this problem before on a 04 d4d (Avensis)
    It turned out to be a faulty starter motor....the owner had gone tru a
    flood 6 months before it started acting up and it was difficult-ish to start
    when cold but worse when hot....leave for 20 mins and it might start.
    It would just turn over...it also had no faults logged.

What happens is the starter pulls to many amps and inturn prevents the
    injectors from opening correctly.
    He got the starter reconditioned and its been fine since...:)
    It maybe worth pulling out the starter and getting it checked.
    Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Row wrote: »
    Hi shamwari,
    I'll send on the info anyway...:)
    I have seen this problem before on a 04 d4d (Avensis)
    It turned out to be a faulty starter motor....the owner had gone tru a
    flood 6 months before it started acting up and it was difficult-ish to start
    when cold but worse when hot....leave for 20 mins and it might start.
    It would just turn over...it also had no faults logged.

What happens is the starter pulls to many amps and inturn prevents the
    injectors from opening correctly.
    He got the starter reconditioned and its been fine since...:)
    It maybe worth pulling out the starter and getting it checked.
    Best of luck with it.

Yep will check that too - that was why I wanted the rail pressure from live data as weak starter or battery are primary suspects. However I have seen those two solenoids cause problems, but they generate fault codes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Yeah the pressure reg on the rail give that fault too. wont start when hot but the last 4 or 5 I have done has been the starter, won't start if rpm is down by 5 rpm... On cranking

Advertisement