Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a house I'm buying surveyed

Options
  • 21-02-2011 8:24pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've put an offer in on a house in North Dublin (cheekily low, but if you don't ask, you don't get!) and I'm wondering if it's accepted- how do I go about getting it surveyed? What does this entail/cost and how do I find one? Are there different types of surveyors? Or does the bank organise this? :confused:
    Any information would be appreciated, I'm pretty clueless about this kind of thing and don't want to end up with a house that floods/leans/is made out of paper maché. :o

(Also, how much do solicitors fees usually amount to? I don't have one and have no idea what solicitors are out there, if they're good/bad etc..) :confused:

Thanks in advance for any info. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Its up to you to decide if you want to use a surveyor. Its highly recommended of course. Like you say, you dont want to end up paying out for a wreck thats about to fall down.

Look up the golden pages or do a search on google for surveyors. I got one done end of 2010. was around 350 + the vat. Takes about 2 - 3 hours for a full survey and you should try to meet him at the end so he can point of things to you.

I used these guys http://www.surv.ie/ if you go onto the site it shows you an example of the report you get.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

We paid 400€ ex VAT for a survey in January, the price seems to depend on the size and age of the house. There are different levels of survey - see here. A "full strucural survey" is the standard one. We used McGovern's (as per previous link) and found them very good, but there are loads of others.

You will have to get a valuation done as well, unless you are a cash buyer - this is a condition of getting a mortgage. The valuation cost 130€ inc VAT, the bank you are dealing with will have a list of valuers you can chose from.

Solicitors can cost anything from 1000€ plus outlay and VAT upwards. Personally I would go from someone that was recommended. Ours is charging 0.5% plus outlay and VAT.

You can check flooding history yourself with the OPW - www.floodmaps.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's great info, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sodaev

Used McGoverns too, full survey plus valuation was 350 plus VAT.

I'm paying 785 inc VAT for solicitor plus whatever cost for outlays. Max for outlays will be another 800 or so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Okay, sounding dim here, but what are outlays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 sodaev

Stamp Duty, Land registry fee's, closing searches etc.

the legal costs that go the courts/state basically.

Sorry only got a chance to check boards now.

Advertisement