Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilli seeds - how long to germinate ?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

hi..
    i planted some chilli seeds around 10 days ago.
    so far no little shoots? just wondering how long it should
    take assuming everything is done correctly ?
    rgs, sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The love temps around the high 20C. I have my propagator on top of an aquarium and the soil temp is about 27C when the light are on in the tank. Some of mine germinated after three days and others are in there about ten and still nothing. Some chillis take longer to germinate than others so I wouldn't get too worried just yet. One day you'll look at them and loads of them will be sprouting through the soil. Just make sure they're kept warm and moist and light doesn't matter until they've sprouted.

What are you growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

- chilli pepper fresno
    -pepper purple tiger
    - jalapeno
    - chocolate habanero

fingers crossed something happens....

Best of luck anyway. Aldi sell little punits of mixed chillis for about €2. I got a lot of my seeds straight from the fruits, works out very cheap for a good crop of chillis for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

if you are happy that conditions are right (+24c) then patience is key...while some types are fairly quick to germinate- bell peppers being one of the fastest...others like the habanero can take up to 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 garr23

leonards wrote: »
    - chilli pepper fresno
    -pepper purple tiger
    - jalapeno
    - chocolate habanero.

I planted all of these seeds on the 8th, so 13 days ago now. The purple tiger and jalapeno took 8-10 days to appear, the fresno and chocolate habs have yet to poke their heads out. I'll give them another 10 days or so before I give up on them, but still hopeful.

• Advertisement

jalapeno appeared around a week ago and seem to be doing fine.
    none of the others have appeared yet.
    must be close to giving up time!!!!! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 garr23

My habaneros took about 3 weeks to appear, so slightly longer than the others. Yours must've been about 3 weeks in by now?

My fresnos were disappointing - only 1 plant from 6 seeds planted. I gave up on them rest today and will probably try some more over the next week or two.

You really need to add a bit of heat. You can get a reptile heat mat really cheap and they work great.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

yep, i always found chillies and peppers slow to start, toms would be out of the ground in a week. be patient and hopefully they sprout.

even in the ground in april/may, they look like they are doing fek all, and a summer goes, they shoot up, if your lucky to be very impressive sized plants with plenty of fruit.

pepper purple tiger have now come up.... just needed patience....

• Advertisement

Good stuff leonards..any chance of some pics?

Advertisement