Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Should I do D.C.G?

• 21-02-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hey everyone,
    I'm in TY and subject choice is coming up in March and I can't decide for the life of me whether or not to do Design Communications & Graphics (to give it it's full title :D). I DIDN'T do Tech Graphics for Junior Cert. and thats the main thing that's wrecking my head right now:confused:. I need to know how hard it would be to catch up and learn any bits I missed. We did a module of the drawing side of things and a module of the SolidWorks side this year in TY. I quite liked it but I can't decide if it's going to be hell catching up and competing against thousands of students who did it for J.C.!!!! :eek: :eek:
    I'll be very grateful for any help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

If youre teacher is good, by all means go for it
    If not, run away

JC course isnt all that relative really

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Ian_K wrote: »
    If youre teacher is good, by all means go for it
    If not, run away

JC course isnt all that relative really

Really? Is it very different from the JC course? I had the teacher for Art in JC and he seems great. So if what your saying is true, thats a +1 for Do It.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Go for it.

DCG is a lovely subject. I would have done it if it weren't for the fact my hand sketching is shockingly poor. I love using CAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Go for it. I did if for my JC but there are just the basics that you will learn in few days (eg. how to bisect a line) which are relevant. I guess your teacher will help you with Cathing up :)
    There is a person in my DCG class that came to Ireland with no English last year I think and she never did drawing before, however she is aiming for A1 in HL.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Plenty of my friends did DCG having not done tech graph and are getting on fine. Personally, I did tech graph for the JC and was absolutely brutal at it. It comes down to aptitude and passion. If you think you would be good at it, good enough to come into it fresh and pick it up fast, then go for it. You mentioned you tried it out and enjoyed it. If you really like it then it won't be a problem, just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into by researching what topics are covered and make sure they interest you.

All that waffle ^^^ just translates to - do it if you think you'll enjoy it.

Btw, the whole tech graph - DCG conversion is like doing business in LC having not done it for JC. They will not come in first day expecting anyone to have done tech graph, and if they do, they certainly won't expect it of you. They will go through the basics first, but more than likely quickly, so that's why I advise you to be able to pick it up fast. Anyway, do your research and make an informed decision. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the positive replies everyone!
    I'll definately do a bit more research but I'm confiden't enough I'll be grand seeing what the rest of ye are saying.
    Cheers!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

I think you'll manage without having done Tech for the Junior Cert. Did you do Art though? Because that would be a great help for your project (worth 40%). It's not at all necessary though, most DCG students don't do Art so it's just a bonus really because for the project there's a lot of sketching. If you want to know more about the project go to this thread. (It's got some pictures of people's projects in it so that'll give you an idea of what's involved.) If you really want to do DCG, go for it! The main thing is that you like your subjects.

(I do DCG.)

Update: I put it down on my choices two or three weeks ago! Now lets hope I get it! The teacher reckons there'll be about 10 in the class, but if theres only 1 or 2 it might not be run :eek: Anyway thanks for the replies, definately swayed my decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oponodon

Just a word of warning, as someone who is doing DCG now, the project is a ****ing nightmare and takes ages. Its fun to do but I had a lazy teacher and while working steadily away on the solidworks (the computer half of the project) everyone fell behind doing the rest...

Im not joking, on the night before my physics mock I was up untill 20 to 6 in the morning desperately putting it together on microsoft word. I had a large class and a crap teacher, but I worked hard and still fell behind on the project... It is a pretty huge undertaking, I'd talk to your future teacher first if I were you.

Having said that though, we got through it alive, i'd reccomend DCG especially if you have a small class :pac:

Good luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

D_s wrote: »
    I DIDN'T do Tech Graphics for Junior Cert.

In our school we had to do it for the JC to keep it on. I only kept it on because I thought I might decide to become an architect (almost happened). Hated it for the JC though but that's because none of my friends were in my class. :rolleyes:

I like it now though, although some of the drawing is very hard! And the project is fun if you're disciplined and good enough at sketches and SolidWorks. The biggest plus is that we get very little homework and no learning off notes! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

i say go for it!

NOTE
    from the start of the leaving cert year, right up to the mocks, it will be all project project project so there is a high likelyhood that you will face into the mocks like all of us did with not having done any DCG drawings for a WHOLE YEAR!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Before you go for it ask students what the teacher is like. DCG is just one of those subjects where you really do need a teacher who knows what they are doing to do well, otherwise you'll struggle.

Advertisement