Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chrono Trigger fan-made SNES sequel!

• 21-02-2011 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

http://crimsonechoes.com/
    A few months ago we had covered Chrono Trigger - Crimson Echoes - a fanmade game that was canned by Square. Basically Crimson Echoes was a brand new Chrono Trigger game with over 35 hours of gameplay, music and story! A pretty amazing storyline (from what is shown in the trailer..) and definitely worth playing.

Well, today's good news is that the final release of Crimson Echoes was leaked and we have the IPS patch available here for you! So what're you waiting for ? Jump right into Crimson Echoes and enjoy a brand new Chrono Trigger experience!

Easily found, saw the original post on a paradise of emulation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Did you read the letter they got from Square? Harsh stuff!

http://crimsonechoes.com/letter.pdf

Will have to give this ago when I get through my current backlog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Did you read the letter they got from Square? Harsh stuff!

Standard boilerplate from the lawyers to be honest. From what I gather, they have to send out those C&D letters to set a sort of precedent to protect their entire Intellectual Property, not just that relating to Chrono Trigger.

Otherwise, retro-active conclusions could be reached regarding their past, present and future IP and, in cases like these, not actively defending your IP is tantamount to acquiescence to further exploitation of anything under your copyright.

(Not a lawyer though, but IIRC thats how it was explained to me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah yeah I do understand where they're coming from. It's just horrible to see people put work into something like that and have it canned. Reminds me of Chrono Trigger Resurrecton -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Man, FVCK the DMCA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Did they not just get that letter because they want to copyright the game? (The fan made sequel)

Presumeably that means there's gonna be a price for the game. had it of been free, would they still have gotten into trouble?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

EnterNow wrote: »
    Did they not just get that letter because they want to copyright the game? (The fan made sequel)

Presumeably that means there's gonna be a price for the game. had it of been free, would they still have gotten into trouble?

Nope, it was always going to be free. Problem is that Square or whoever paid the artists and game engine coders money to create a product for sale which a 3rd party is now modifying and giving away for free. Therefore they have to protect this IP or dangerous precedents are set for future cases they may have to bring up regarding current generation products.

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Nope, it was always going to be free. Problem is that Square or whoever paid the artists and game engine coders money to create a product for sale which a 3rd party is now modifying and giving away for free. Therefore they have to protect this IP or dangerous precedents are set for future cases they may have to bring up regarding current generation products.

So they're being sued even though it was gonna be a free release? Major suckage! :mad: Is the release still going ahead, or being consigned to some goon's office drawer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can actually see where squaresoft is coming from. They do need to protect their IPs. Whenever something like this happens it's standard practice to send out cease and desist orders. A lot of companies will see sense and let it go ahead but some companies like Square and Nintendo are very bullish about this stuff.

I'm not sure that Square have a leg to stand on here though. The coders are using a patcher and not a modified rom so they aren't using any source code from the game or art assets. Squaresoft just seem really protective over Chrono Trigger for some reason because they don't give a toss about FF game modifications.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They do need to protect their IPs.

And how does a fan made sequal endanger it? If anything, it could produce more revenue from someone enjoying it & wanting to play the first. It certainly won't lose them any money they mave earned if it wern't released...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not attorney at law now but I think that if they don't protect their IPs then it reduces the ownership they have over the IP and then anyone can use it.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not attorney at law now but I think that if they don't protect their IPs then it reduces the ownership they have over the IP and then anyone can use it.

Ah so it's more a legality thing, than actually a money earning protection? That makes sense then I guess, they kinda have to oppose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Oh yeah I'd say a lot fo the people who developed CT think a fan sequal is cool, but ya cant just ignore it if your Square, give them an inch and they take a mile

CT resurection would have been ****ing amazing if it wasnt shut down, I wonder if it was still worked on in secret?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

I really don't know if I'd even want to play a fan follow-up to Chrono Trigger. I only played it for the first time in early 2008 on the DS and was knocked aback at how forward thinking a JRPG it is. It autatically entered my cannon of favourite games, but do I feel a need to return to that world again? Absolutely not.

Advertisement