Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WindowsCure - Scam/risks?

• 21-02-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,
    My wife got cold called by a guy (sounded Indian) who claimed to work for WindowsCure and told her we had a problem with Windows and with IP address (they were getting error messages and others could use our IP address).
    My wife opened their site and spend 20 minuest talking with them but then hung up when he looked for €180 "to extend a windows warranty".

Is this site (www.windowscure.com) for real and if it is a scam do we need to protect our PC further after his call????

Cheers:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Scam.

If she used the logmein123.com or something similar function, they have now uploaded malware onto the pc. She will need to get the pc cleaned. Instructions are here: "I think I have a virus" - Please Read & Try BEFORE Posting (Updated 12/02/2010). READ THE INSTRUCTIONS PROPERLY and start a new thread in the Virus & Malware Removal

More info: Weird phone call! "online pc doctor" - Only thread on these scam calls please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I don't know the site, but it would be worth checking that your antivirus/anti-spyware software is up-to-date. Also, educate your wife, and see the other thread (see post #2 above) on this forum about similar Indian callers.

[edit] Don't do any online banking/purchases until you're sure its clean !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

They called twice this morning.

Asked them could I conduct our coversation through Hindi, asked him what he was wearing and finally got bored and told em I was running Ubuntu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I don't know the site, but it would be worth checking that your antivirus/anti-spyware software is up-to-date. Also, educate your wife, and see the other thread (see post #2 above) on this forum about similar Indian callers.

[edit] Don't do any online banking/purchases until you're sure its clean !

Very Important!

I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free and CLICK HERE to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

Biggins wrote: »
    Very Important!

I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free and CLICK HERE to get.
    This with Microsoft Security Essentials is a good combo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement