Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to bin my 360?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

So I have one of the early xbox 360's,and it got the RROD about 2 years ago.
    I tried the replacing the 'x' clamps with screws method,that seemed to work (for about a week:rolleyes:),eventually out of desperation I tried the overheating method,which worked for a while,but it froze again not too long after.

I packed away the xbox for about a year until I got Assassins Creed from a friend and was determined to have another go at fixing it.

So last night I added a heat sink to the front of the larger existing heat sink and fitted a fan about 50mm diameter,blowing air in on top of the existing heat sink(I also put one to the side/base and both are powered from their own DC source).
    I have placed heat sinks (all with thermal paste) on all of the chips,and have also modded and sealed the exhaust vent duct to give better air flow....................but the xbox froze again after 10 or 15 min and when I reset it I got the RROD:(

Is there any hope in fixing it or is it time to give up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You can reball the GPU with lead solder, it should fix pretty much any problem - cost is about €60 or €70,

Also, if the last game you played on it was Assassin's Creed 1 then you can quite possibly JTAG the console, look into it - they are mega :)

If you want you can sell the console if it's JTAGable, even with an RROd you'll make some cash you can put towards a new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭nicecupotay

You can reball the GPU with lead solder, it should fix pretty much any problem

Is reballing a permanent fix or would it only be a matter of time before the RROD returns?

Is there anybody in Cork that does it that comes recommended?

Reballing is a permanent fix for problems caused by lead-free solder and cold joints which is my experience is pretty much the root cause of 80%+ RRODs.

There's also a reflow, which heats the leadfree solder under the GPU so much it turns molten and hopefully repairs any breaks in the connections. The thing about the reflow is the solder's still lead free so it could happen again. There are guys in Limerick offering this service, don't know anybody in Cork.

The console can be posted pretty much anywhere in Ireland for €12 each way with wiseloads - all anybody will need is your motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭nicecupotay

Thanks TouchingVirus,I work in Limerick sometimes so I'll check those guys out..........oh,and the buddy i got Assassins Creed from....he just got the RROD at the weekend:eek:.....so might get a deal on the repair:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Just wondering how much does it cost for the Reballing?
    and how much would it cost for someone to do the Jtag?

• Advertisement

Both services offered in the modding services sticky at the top of the forum (well the JTAG is anyway).

The reballing is about 60 or 70 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

Is reballing a permanent fix or would it only be a matter of time before the RROD returns?

Is there anybody in Cork that does it that comes recommended?

If its done right you will never have an issue ;)

If its done right you will never have an issue ;)

Never have an issue related to the use of lead free solder is what you meant to say ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Never have an issue related to the use of lead free solder is what you meant to say ;)

That's the cr@p that causes all these headaches isn't it? Can that only be used in reflowing etc? Or can the good stuff be used too?

EnterNow wrote: »
    That's the cr@p that causes all these headaches isn't it? Can that only be used in reflowing etc? Or can the good stuff be used too?

Your right, if its to be a permanent solution then its lead solder. But to be honest a good re-flow that creates strong joints could last for years.

When repairing this issue you need to find a really good flux that works well with both alloys, and then take a re-flow profile and modify it, to match the characteristics of that flux.

Which is not as easy as it sounds, because any rework station you buy from China requires customization to work correctly. Bottom line is simply if it was that easy, everybody would do a good job ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Your right, if its to be a permanent solution then its lead solder. But to be honest a good re-flow that creates strong joints could last for years.

When repairing this issue you need to find a really good flux that works well with both alloys, and then take a re-flow profile and modify it, to match the characteristics of that flux.

Which is not as easy as it sounds, because any rework station you buy from China requires customization to work correctly. Bottom line is simply if it was that easy, everybody would do a good job ;)

Not as easy as it sounds :D My soldering skill ends at handheld irons :o

get a ps3

And get a ylod, this is a plague for both systems.

get a ps3

Totally not a solution to the problem at hand - you're buying trouble :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

UnLeaded solder which is being used in BGA connenctions in X360 is not the only reason for rrod. Crap materials used by FoxCon while manufacturing xbox mobos tend to bend under any temperature changes. Leaded solder is more flexible so it is solution, but not 100% solution. The mobo will still be flexing every time you use the Xbox.

I have not had any issue's after reballing the gpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I have not had any issue's after reballing the gpu.

I mean I agree that the only proper fix is either reball with pb balls or gpu swap with pb balls, but I'm saying that pb-free solder is not the only cause of rrod, there are also other issues, crap quality board would be second most.

Advertisement