Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato Famine Sligo Info?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea where the Soup Kitchen was located in Sligo during the famine? Google is giving me nothing.

Any information appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

the chap who put this together might be able to help you out

http://www.irishholocaust.org/

cheers for the thanks - welcome ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

sligopark wrote: »
    cheers for the thanks - welcome ;)

great read you should post that link in after hours id say it would go down well;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

I think it was where Old Quay Court is now, actual building was tossed in the early 90's, very sad, I couldn't believe it when I saw the Harbour Bar gone, it features in a couple of Jack B Yeats drawings, it seems people just want the town to be a giant car-park with British super stores amd slum apartments

great read you should post that link in after hours id say it would go down well;)

love to - but how would I introduce it? Not being cheeky why don't you yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Mc Ternan's "in Sligo long ago" makes mention of numerous soup kitchens at various locations, including the Lissadell estate and one on the Quays operated by a merchant called Delaney ...(summer of '47 there were 53,000, or half the population of Sligo recieving daily rations:()

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Brilliant, thanks so much for all your help. That's just what I needed.

dardevle wrote: »

Mc Ternan's "in Sligo long ago" makes mention of numerous soup kitchens at various locations, including the Lissadell estate and one on the Quays operated by a merchant called Delaney ...(summer of '47 there were 53,000, or half the population of Sligo recieving daily rations:()

Somewhere in my extensive reading last night, I found this:

While it was expected that the soup kitchen scheme would aliviate some of the problem, boilers for making soup had not arrived in Sligo even as late as April of 1847.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlsli/famine.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I hate it when it's referred to as a famine. There was no famine,it was potato blight.

Some good research Tequila.

• Advertisement

Or the Irish Holocaust, The Great Hunger, An Gorta Mor, The Great Famine (irony?) or The Staravation apparently. It's a minefield :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

You forgot the Genocide of the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

If its of interst to you there was a workhouse in Dromore West. The ruins are still there half of it is converted into a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

51h6Xya3D7L._SS500_.jpg

Get hold of a copy of this, it's tremendously detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

"Jewish Oxygen Famine of 1939 - 1945" - Ha, i'm gonna use that one.

Advertisement