Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye, My Ireland - ABC 8pm tonight

Options
  • 21-02-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

“We went from being a country with a banking system to a banking system with a country stuck onto it because the banks became three times bigger than the gross national product of the country” DAVID McWILLIAMS Economist

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2011/s3141693.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Thanks for the heads up, have it set up to record!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Hmm, must get meself a telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

First Panorama and now this:(

We're the bloody laughing stock of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Thanks for the head's up ambasite. It'll be on ABC's iView (http://www.abc.net.au/iview/)after the show has been aired if anyone misses it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

oh god showing the horse and carts in Dublin :eek: jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Well that was Joyous ....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mise23

In Brisbane so this hasn't gone on air here yet.
    Had a feeling that they'd bring out the usual cliches: fiddle music, guinness and misty scenery.

music at end with the airport scenes was a bit full on

mise23 wrote: »
    In Brisbane so this hasn't gone on air here yet.
    Had a feeling that they'd bring out the usual cliches: fiddle music, guinness and misty scenery.

Dont worry, by the time it airs in Brisbane the recession will be over (I'm joking...)

myhorse wrote: »
    music at end with the airport scenes was a bit full on
    I was expecting simple minds "Belfast Child"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

that was a bit Schlock really wasnt it.

Still tho, anyome see the lads bag, GAA Galore :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Zambia wrote: »
    Well that was Joyous ....

Yep, it's put me in a good mood for the night I can tell you. Some of the camera shots were cringeworthy but the scene with the young electrician and his mum and the airport shots got to me I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mise23

Forgot how pasty and unattractive Irish people were and the poor level of dental care on view was shocking.
    Probably shouldn't be commenting as I'm no oil painting myself.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

think this is the actual link

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/723063

and for anyone in ireland, hit Play Video at the top of the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Goodbye Ireland - ABC Australia Pt1

Goodbye Ireland - ABC Australia Pt2

Just watched this doc and funny to see the Aussie take on the Irish situation. The facts are a bit off.

1. That has to be the most dramatic mother I have ever seen

2. Everyone in the country wasn't as rich as the reporter makes out. Only a very few elite got very very rich the rest of us stayed the same. The banks and property gob****s made it look like Ireland was one the richest countries in the world. The biggest con job was the money was never really there. One bank even moved billions of debuts from one bank to the other so it wouldn’t be found

3. David McWilliams the so called head economist of the Central Bank of Ireland is nothing such between 1990 and 1993 he worked as an economist at the Central Bank of Ireland a very different thing to what the doc makes out. That’s over 10 years before the bust and even 8 years before the boom.

4.Loved how they seem to find the only housing estate that was built beside a graveyard.

5. How they make out we all sing and play Irish music in the pubs here all the time and how this guy going to Oz was like sending someone off to war.

6. Nice job managing to get pictures of horses and gigs riding through Dublin to make us look like real boggers

Love the way she says Bollixed as well

All up this report tries to say all the people in Ireland got very rich. We bought loads and loads of houses wasted our riches and now we’re broke so we have to as she say “ Flee the Country “ making us sound like parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Fianna Fail - "Centre left party" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Electrician: 840 jobs in the past month advertised in the UK, a €30 flight home every weekend if you chose.

Chef: in the past month, advertised:

Denmark: 111 job(s) matched

Hungary: 1 job(s) matched

Luxembourg: 8 job(s) matched

Romania: 4 job(s) matched

Switzerland: 29 job(s) matched

United Kingdom: 4875 job(s) matched

Belgium: 309 job(s) matched

Greece: 2 job(s) matched

Austria: 325 job(s) matched

Finland: 9 job(s) matched

France: 1328 job(s) matched

Sweden: 972 job(s) matched

Netherlands: 115 job(s) matched

Norway: 18 job(s) matched

Malta: 2 job(s) matched

Oh,,,, and 190 jobs as a chef advertised in ireland, in the past month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There's a language barrier for lots of people, which is why Europe is a put off....
    I often thought that if a tradie, or QS, or H&S officer learned French, or Spanish, or Italian, they would be a big asset for companies like Intel who have plants on the continent.....

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Found this a bit full on. It not like you can't get on a plane back home again at some stage.

Ok well I reckoned because this was not on the big three channels I would not hear about it .... All week I have heard about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement