Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Delivery-Do I tip?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

Hi

I am getting my groceries delivered for the first time tomorrow, just wondering should I or am I expected to tip? Also how much if I am?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Dont do it. Just het the shoppin and tell him to **** off. No tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

lol, nice thought but by the time you have the groceries inside you won't want to tip. Its up to you, I got tips while working on the check out in dunnes, depends on how good the service is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Tip them.... Shur every little helps.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I never tipped them on the one occasion that I was too lazy to go shopping.

I don't tip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I never tipped them on the one occasion that I was too lazy to go shopping.

Not really that I am too lazy but have four children and hoping this way will stop me picking up unneccesary crap, that they reach for and I throw in to the trolley

proulx wrote: »
    Not really that I am too lazy but have four children and hoping this way will stop me picking up unneccesary crap, that they reach for and I throw in to the trolley

Nothing wrong with it, tesco delivery is very very handy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I have yet to use the service. my GF is a snob and only wants us to shop in dunnes and we end up overspending on "handy stuff we need that just clutters the place".
    I like the idea because you can plan everything and not get side tracked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I love tesco online because you can "save" your basket and if you buy mostly the same stuff each week, you've got it done and you only need to make a few small changes. After the first visit, the shopping takes a couple of minutes literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The delivery guys are not allowed to accept tips.

They do sometime get flowers / chocs etc and once they declare it they can keep it.

I add all the favorites then shave 20 quid of the total, then look at the specials and add what's cheaper than my favorites.

Enter my 3 dig code then forget about it.

Have to do the shopping on a Sunday int he kitchen so I get 4euro del on Tuesday and I can see what we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i don't tip anywhere in ireland. it's a stupid amercian thing that's seeped its way in here. i do however tip in american restaurants as they are on poxy wages and usually give you exceptional service compared to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

AFAIK, tipping is against policy and they can be reprimanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

thats what the dleivery charge is for :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

"Don't eat yellow snow" - that's my tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

I'd say no tip but if you feel that the dilevery person goes beyond the call of duty then maybe a tip would be called for Remember you have paid for delivery and they get paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a pity that there isn't a Tesco value-range hand-cuffs for kids, as I remember those days.:(

We used the home delivery service one Christmas to avoid fighting our way through the store, where the usual "let's assume that the shops will be closing for 6 months and buy everything" takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

Thanks for all,
    Got Delivery and did not tip, guy was super nice and saved myself at least 20euro so will defo do it again. Everything I asked for was there so happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

The drivers are not allowed to accept tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

my GF is a snob and only wants us to shop in dunnes
    :confused: never considered that upmarket, now fallon & byrne or somewhere, but dunnes?!

I have heard to avoid fresh fruit/veg/meat when getting from tesco, as they tend to pick stuff near the sell by date, and in tesco often chicken just before the use by is really past its use by.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The pickers are supposed to pick the longest date on the shelf and you have to enter on the computer what date you picked, if the life is too short it prints out on the top of the receipt and you can refuse to keep it and get a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭tenton

Hi

I am getting my groceries delivered for the first time tomorrow, just wondering should I or am I expected to tip? Also how much if I am?
    About 5 to 10 euro. If you do not tip then next time you expect someone to go around and load everything in to a trolley, pack it, get in to a truck, fight their way through traffic and find your house you will find things not so smooth. Broken eggs, the odd thing crushed or out of date....whats the bet nobody would ever dream of spitting on customers food who were too lazy to shop themselves and too mean to tip. Abroad there was case ( not tesco ) rumoured of an underpaid home delivery person getting a syringe and injecting spit through wrapping in to packed items.

Safer and better just to do your own shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

my GF is a snob and only wants us to shop in dunnes .

should that not read "we shop in M&S or BT"? Dunnes is down the bottom of the ladder along with tesco IMO. Meat in both is awful compared with supervalu, usually only pick up all the offers in both and regular items

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I give the driver a E5.00 tip but only for the Christmas delivery and only if it's the usual driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - this is a zombie thread. Closed

Posts related to Tesco delivery charge have been split out and moved to a new thread in Online Buying & Auctions

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement