Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools that dont teach irish

• 21-02-2011 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Are there any primary and secondary schools where irish is not a compulsory subject in dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭pooch90

Iguana Bob wrote: »
    Are there any primary and secondary schools where irish is not a compulsory subject in dublin?

Irish is taught in all Irish primary schools in the country. It is part of the national curriculum and therefore compulsory, without an exemption.

AFAIK the same is true of secondary schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

You'd have to find a school that doesn't teach the national curriculum. Might be a bit tricky. Private schools might be your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SocksRock

You have to do Irish for your Junior and Leaving cert so it is probably in your best interest to just learn it.. It's not the school's choice, but the country's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

try educate together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

educate together teaches the SAME curriculum as other primary schools in ireland. only diference is the religion taught focuses on morality and an overview of different religions rather than just catholicism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Currently there is no way around it. Even the muslim primary school in Clonskeagh has Irish as a compulsory subject in their curriculum.

educate together teaches the SAME curriculum as other primary schools in ireland. only diference is the religion taught focuses on morality and an overview of different religions rather than just catholicism.

My experience of these schools is that they teach little or no Irish, which is great if you do not want your child to learn it.
    maybe the OP could consider an exemption. They are easy to get.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    My experience of these schools is that they teach little or no Irish, which is great if you do not want your child to learn it.

I was under the impression that an exemption was very hard to get- the only person I knew who got one had lived out of the country for years, and returned to an Irish school when she was 11 and therfore did not have to do Irish.
    Dept. of education info on it below

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/the_irish_education_system/exemption_from_irish.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They are difficult to get.
    We've never noticed children from ET schools as any worse than the others at Irish. There is a growing number of children however who, together with their parents, claim they did not do Irish in primary, only for us to discover they have no exemption and have to teach them from scratch for the Junior.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Fuinseog, I seriously doubt you can back up either of those points. In any ET school I've subbed in, Irish is as prevalent as any other. And exemptions are not handed to just anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Exemptions are not easily given out. ET schools of course teach Irish. Fuinseoig, please don't post inaccurate info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

not really relevant anymore I know but just mentioning it,

Over 30 yrs ago I arrived into Ireland and had to start primary school, with no English and I even had to learn Irish. I hadn't even a clue what they were saying in English, yet when it came to 5th year in secondary I ended up getting a scholarship to Coolea Irish College and was thrilled about it.

Now, I can barley speak a word of Irish - complete waste of time unless your living in the Gaeltacht if you ask me but thats my opinion. I wish it was easy to get an exemption because I would take my two out of Irish in a flash if I could.:(

spurious wrote: »
    They are difficult to get.
    We've never noticed children from ET schools as any worse than the others at Irish. There is a growing number of children however who, together with their parents, claim they did not do Irish in primary, only for us to discover they have no exemption and have to teach them from scratch for the Junior.

it depends on the school and how much the parents want it. dyslexics for example usually get it

Exemptions are not easily given out. ET schools of course teach Irish. Fuinseoig, please don't post inaccurate info.

they do the bare minimum. in my experience ET kids coming into first year have a very poor command of the language.

it depends on the school and how much the parents want it. dyslexics for example usually get it

That's a very ignorant comment. There is nothing to suggest that someone dyslexic will need an exemption from Irish, any more than they would need one from the other subjects they study in school. Plenty of people with dyslexia will sit exams on the full curriculum, with possibly some leniency on how long they have to complete their exams.
    You should get your facts right, you have made several statements on this thread that are completely wrong. I really, really hope you are not in any way associated with the education system, scary to think you would have any influence over a childs education.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

they do the bare minimum.

That's a gross generalisation. Even if you have experience you can't hope to talk for all of them surely? Please stop perpetuating this.

Also, I'd like to remind posters of the very handy mantra "attack the post NOT the poster". Personal insults are a no no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

they do the bare minimum. in my experience ET kids coming into first year have a very poor command of the language.
    In my experience students from a few Gaelscoileanna have a poor command of the language. And from Catholic primary schools. You could say that about any school really. It depends on the teacher.
    ElectraX wrote: »
    That's a very ignorant comment. There is nothing to suggest that someone dyslexic will need an exemption from Irish, any more than they would need one from the other subjects they study in school. Plenty of people with dyslexia will sit exams on the full curriculum, with possibly some leniency on how long they have to complete their exams.

Exactly. I taught a student with dyslexia who did very well in Irish. There are plenty of students with dyslexia who are learning Irish successfully.

In my experience, exemptions are hard to come by. Some parents choose to allow their children to give up Irish without the exemption. These students still have to fulfill the entry requirements to go to university because they are not exempt, so it is not a decision that should be made lightly.

Rightly or wrongly, Irish is required to get into many 3rd level courses. Not doing it is fine if the child does not want to do one of these courses, but you're limiting their options if they do not do it.

This may well change and it may not be necessary to have done Irish by the time the child has reached 3rd level but right now that is not the case and it is important that you do not limit the child's chance. If it becomes an optional subject in years to come then you can make that decision.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Children with dyslexia (not referred to as "dyslexics"-they are more than the learning difference)do not automatically gain exemptions from Irish,there are strict criteria for a child to be exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Suzdub

Hi,
    St Killians school teaches Irish but not until 5th.

They concentrate on German.

Check out there website, it is very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Suzdub wrote: »
    Check out there website, it is very helpful.

€4335pa to not follow the national curriculum in a country where free primary education is guaranteed in the constitution. Where do I sign up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It would be quite a bad idea to not do Irish at primary school. They'll need it later on for matriculation purposes for university entry and trying to learn Irish from Secondary School onwards would be nigh on impossible as they are plunged straight in to learning poetry and essay writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Its amazing really, some of the top children in my class at Irish are children who have arrived from other countries. They come to school to learn, and approach all subjects in the same manner, without the preconceptions and misconceptions that many Irish children have about the language. Can understand why some parents may have issues with the language, but passing on this to primary age children is, in my opinion, scandalous, and allows children to believe they can pick and choose when to learn and when to switch off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Definitely agree Kenteach, we've had a lot of children of different nationalities who have picked up Irish more quickly than English in some cases.

Advertisement