Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B&W techniques

• 21-02-2011 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I've not really been taking photos all that long but id love to start taking more b&w. I use a nikon d60 and have a few lenses. Can anyone give me some advice on what settings to use for taking strong, vivid sharp shots? is there a rule of thumb for correct apperture and shutter speeds that i should be following? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Kev.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

You want white whites and black blacks with some midtones sprinkled in. Curves + Dodging and burning are your best friends when it comes to b&w.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

JayEnnis wrote: »
    You want white whites and black blacks with some midtones sprinkled in. Curves + Dodging and burning are your best friends when it comes to b&w.

Know how to use your camera and recognise interesting light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

follow the light meters advice as every situation has a different amount of light needed to provide a correct exposure, and from there its up to you if you want to open up that appature (decrease your depth of field) and let the amount of light required in for a recomended shutter speed.... or revers the process and expose with a smaller apature for a longer shutter speed. THats my advice anyways

follow the light meters advice as every situation has a different amount of light needed to provide a correct exposure, and from there its up to you if you want to open up that appature (decrease your depth of field) and let the amount of light required in for a recomended shutter speed.... or revers the process and expose with a smaller apature for a longer shutter speed. THats my advice anyways

I recommend you do not do this.

Learn how to use your camera on manual exposure mode and meter for different lighting. It probably won't make your photographs better right away, but it will force you to be more aware of light and how it will appear in the final image.

There is no such thing as "correct exposure".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Your PP skills will be important here. There's a thousand and one ways to convert to B&W, you'll just have to experiment to find a way you like (the general consensus is that it's better to shoot in colour, then convert).

• Advertisement

daycent wrote: »
    Your PP skills will be important here. There's a thousand and one ways to convert to B&W, you'll just have to experiment to find a way you like (the general consensus is that it's better to shoot in colour, then convert).

This is definitely true, but if you shoot RAW you can set your camera to b&w to assess the potential first. When you process the file it will revert back to the original colour image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Selective dodging and burning is definitely one of the key things to a great b&w. That and Silver Efex Pro ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I have a Sony A700. There may be in-camera differences with Mono pre-sets that I can't comment on.

Your options are (1) use a Mono pre-set or (2) shoot in colour RAW/JPEG and convert.

I like to use my own Mono pre-set occasionally. Other times I convert. It depends on many factors, including whether a colour photo (or an actual scene) looks right for B&W. That's a very subjective and personal thing -- you'll need to work out your own preferences.

The reason I use my Mono pre-set is that I have a nostalgic fondness for grainy old film (I used to like Ilford). I find setting the ISO to 2000, tweaking contrast in-camera and bracketing by shooting three exposures below, at and over the meter reading gives me good results when the light is right. I also use old fast film lenses, which requires care with lighting.

M.jpg?t=1298330283

Conversion from colour to mono is a whole subject in itself. If you're using Photoshop (I can only afford Elements!) then I strongly recommend Guy Gowan's conversion methods. Guy is The Man, IMO, and his mono technique is very high order. With PS you're talking many more tone levels than Ansel Adams ever dreamed of. General tip: when converting an image to mono, don't use a method that just dumps all your original colour data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

charybdis wrote: »

There is no such thing as "correct exposure".

but there is such a thing as incorrect exposure :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Three easy steps;

1/ Learn about exposure and then how to intuitively control it with your camera.

2/ Adjust your eyes to see a scene in Tones/Contrast and shoot accordingly.

3/ Practice processing and printing the captured image to get the required range of tones and contrast that the image requires.

This has been the same for many decades.

With Film you may have to consider filters to adjust the density of various colours. The most common is a Yellow - Red filter to get darker skies. In digital you shoot in colour (preferably RAW) and this way you have every filter combination available to you to apply in Post Production.
    I too use the Guy Gowan methods to process my Mono's as it's non-destructive and has loads of control. You can add "Grain" in PP and do it in a more organic way than the look of digital noise. Noise and Grain manifest in different ways. In digital it's across the image and shows up a lot more in the deep shadows. On film it mainly appears in the mid tones and is not evident in the highlights and shadows. There are PP techniques to acheive this.

• Advertisement

but there is such a thing as incorrect exposure :p

Arguably there isn't, and falsifiability cannot prove the contrary.

Which of these images were shot on digital and which on film?

C8C6FA1D1C1F419DA95370215441E936-0000341592-0002184076-00700L-5DA87F373E8F4006B11DFB420086E29F.jpg

D5DCEAE65B384754BA17209D0BC149F8-0000341592-0002184100-00700L-C681CEF622B94714BB8D310F0C6E20AC.jpg

4ED2414B57C243AEB9290912B2E6AE85-0000341592-0002184078-00640L-28C373D52E3F4F958E855E606D56DD90.jpg

40790CAB937C4ACEBFFA9FE6BCF76EB0-0000341592-0002184077-00700L-5CF1AE3368F64324A57BEE72C4CAA9A6.jpg

C625C42B5A8F4267AD0D28F33AB9391D-0000341592-0002184079-00700L-A7074AEC83E5495A9B6D682107F34F5E.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It can be very hard to tell.

I would guess at;

Digital
    Film
    Digital
    Digital (?)
    Film

Probably all wrong.

Digital
    Digital
    Film
    Film
    Digital

Edit: There's a slight difference between noise and grain, that's how I figured most of it out + the dynamic range of some of them is higher. Still though its very hard to tell, let us know soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Digital
    Digital
    Film
    Film
    Digital

Edit: There's a slight difference between noise and grain, that's how I figured most of it out + the dynamic range of some of them is higher. Still though its very hard to tell, let us know soon!

You're right...
    I figured it out a different way - check the exif (or lack of) on pix.ie

You're right...
    I figured it out a different way - check the exif (or lack of) on pix.ie

Cheat! :)

Correct.

I had written a much longer reply, didn't Ctrl+C as a saver, and then Boards bombed.

The gist of it was that IMO you can use high ISO and a mono pre-set on digital as a quick and dirty way to get an acceptable graininess that's not a million pixels away from images shot originally on film. Plus you have the added advantage of being able to shoot hand held in available light.

Guy using his laptop during someone else's presentation at a conference:

3121FB6C3AB14CE2BBF0CAE549CE8A3D-0000341592-0002184169-00700L-C6075328EA6D45178AF6D101E5539CBD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Works especially well if you've a 5D (not sure about the mk2) - unreal at high iso

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

This is definitely true, but if you shoot RAW you can set your camera to b&w to assess the potential first. When you process the file it will revert back to the original colour image.

This is what I miss most about moving from 5d to 1dsmkiii

i do try and keep chimping to a minimum but I did like being able to review in b&w but have the raw on the card.....

Advertisement