Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Libyan uprising

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

That has to be the most naive post I've read in a while.
    BBC correspondents have reported Gadaffi tanks in suburban Benghazi.
    Your assertion that the rebels broke the ceasefire comes from Ghadaffi.
    You believe him?
    Lol

Where did you get that I got that information from Gaddafi? My assertions that the rebels broke the ceasefire come from both CNN & BBC, who as per their reporter got the information from the rebels themselves and not from Gaddafi.

They are also reporting the rebels have their own tanks. The problem I have is people like yourself read one report and swallow it while if you view different news channels there is conflicting reports.

If you choose to believe the same people that told you there were WMD's in Iraq without questioning it then you are the naive one my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

greendom wrote: »
    What about Yugoslavia ? Countless thousands of lives were saved in Bosnia and Kosovo

I'd like to hear more about Nazism being better than Communism though

Communism has a far higher death toll than Nazism.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

whiteonion wrote: »
    Communism has a far higher death toll than Nazism.

In total or on a per year basis ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

whiteonion wrote: »
    The west should not intervene. Things get worse from intervention. When the Americans helped the Russians fight off the nazis it lead to the rise of communism in Europe which was even worse the nazism. Helping rebel fighters in Afghanistan kick out the Russians led to the rise of the Taliban. Nothing good can come from intervention in other countries affairs.

Eh......you do know if the Americans didn't join in fighting the nazis we would likely all be speaking German right now and we wouldn't be worried aobut the housing market collapse because we would all be farmers and manual labourers for the Furher ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Won't the Yank, the Brits and the Frogs hurry up! I want ma oil god dammit!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Eh......you do know if the Americans didn't join in fighting the nazis we would likely all be speaking German right now and we wouldn't be worried aobut the housing market collapse because we would all be farmers and manual labourers for the Furher ?

I have no doubt you actually believe that, but you would be completely wrong. It was the Russians who defeated the Nazis.

That old 'We would be speaking German right now if it wasn't for the Americans...' is one of the biggest and most pathetic myths that still perpetuate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Where did you get that I got that information from Gaddafi? My assertions that the rebels broke the ceasefire come from both CNN & BBC, who as per their reporter got the information from the rebels themselves and not from Gaddafi.

They are also reporting the rebels have their own tanks. The problem I have is people like yourself read one report and swallow it while if you view different news channels there is conflicting reports.

If you choose to believe the same people that told you there were WMD's in Iraq without questioning it then you are the naive one my friend.

Even Sky are saying they no longer believe reports from either side. They had a woman on the phone this morning talking about a sustained bombing all day and not a sound in the background. I'm also surprised that phones are still working in Benghazi.

The rebels aren't obeying the ceasefire and have stated that. They are also, apparently, flying aircraft despite the no-fly zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Mervyn Crawford

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/mar2011/pers-m19.shtml

Obama, Sarkozy and Cameron - along with the Arab League - are defenders of justice and human rights???!!!

It is quite possible that the Imperialists have been covertly dealing with Gadaffi all along. A partitioned Libya would be a huge blow to the Libyan revolution. Would create a festering sore to provoke the struggle in Libya and beyond into the mire of nationalist opposition; and justify ongoing positioning of Imperialist troops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I see the paranoia has arrived. Anyhoo....
    Pro-Gaddafi forces have attacked the Libyan rebel stronghold of Benghazi and their tanks have entered the city, a BBC journalist witnessed.
    A jet also appears to have been shot down over the city despite a declared ceasefire and a UN no-fly resolution.
    World leaders are meeting in Paris to discuss military action.
    The rebel's leader has appealed to the international community to stop the pro-Gaddafi bombardment, but the government denies it is attacking.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12793919

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/mar2011/pers-m19.shtml

Obama, Sarkozy and Cameron - along with the Arab League - are defenders of justice and human rights???!!!

It is quite possible that the Imperialists have been covertly dealing with Gadaffi all along. A partitioned Libya would be a huge blow to the Libyan revolution. Would create a festering sore to provoke the struggle in Libya and beyond into the mire of nationalist opposition; and justify ongoing positioning of Imperialist troops.

It's frightening how out of touch with reality the article you link to is.

Nevertheless, have you got any opinions of your own? Virtually all your posts are accompanied by a link to the wsws.org website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

French aircraft are already in the skies apparently.

Ah...I was wondering when iraq and wmd's were going to be brought into this...:rolleyes:
    Total red herring.The U.N has spoken and in Paris today the sec general was at the multilateral summit declaring action will now have to be implemented,military action.

As for the BBC,you must be watching a different bbc that I am.
    Their reporters have reported Ghadaffi tanks entering and shelling Benghazi.
    The rebels ordinary citizens of libya are not subject to a ceasefire or the un resolution either.

I'm not convinced that that fighter jet that was shot down earlier today was a rebel aircraft. Most likely a pro-Gaddafi Libyan aircraft that was shot down by rebel forces. Rebel forces are saying otherwise to make it look like Gaddafi has broken the ceasefire.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

BBC saying that a French plane has engaged with Libyan ground forces.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12795971

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Nope.
    The US/British fought something like 24 German Divisions; meanwhile the Russian faced over 200 German Divisions.
    All the best equipment and men went to the Eastern Front.

I'm not convinced that that fighter jet that was shot down earlier today was a rebel aircraft. Most likely a pro-Gaddafi Libyan aircraft that was shot down by rebel forces. Rebel forces are saying otherwise to make it look like Gaddafi has broken the ceasefire.

the Rebels say they shot down their own plane. French planes have destroyed tanks according to Al Jezza and the Charles De Gaulle is on its way to the scene.

And if the rebels needed a boost they got one today

"6.20pm: The death has been announced of Mohammad Nabbous, described as the "face of citizen journalism in Libya". Nabbous was apparently shot dead by Gaddafi forces in Benghazi on Saturday.

Andy Carvin, social media strategist at NPR, said on Twitter: "Mohammad Nabbous was my primary contact in Libya, and the face of Libyan citizen journalism. And now he's dead, killed in a firefight."

mike65 wrote: »
    the Rebels say they shot down their own plane. French planes have destroyed tanks according to Al Jezza and the Charles De Gaulle is on its way to the scene.

Yes of course the rebels would say that. I not convinced that it's true though. I don't understand how mere rebels could get there hand on a MiG fighter jet in the first place and where is it's airbase?

Like you'd know either way!

mike65 wrote: »
    Like you'd know either way!

It's just .... very fishy .... the whole thing.

Obama is due to make a statement at about 20.00 hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Yes of course the rebels would say that. I not convinced that it's true though. I don't understand how mere rebels could get there hand on a MiG fighter jet in the first place and where is it's airbase?

The rebels control 4 out 13 air bases and are operating aircraft as the "Free Libyan Air Force". Many members of the Libyan military defected and one presumes that included pilots.

Western media reports of the rebels of rebel operated aircraft have been thin on the ground.

Latest reports are saying that the Free Libyan Airforce plane was brought down by friendly fire and the pilot didn't survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Can someone tell me exactly what is going on?

The French and Italians are in? [Werent they there once before and it didnt turn out so pretty?]

The Brits are also in there?

The US has its biggest war ship floating around the Red Sea. Obama is in Rio on vacation?

And there are claims that AL Q want gaddafy duck dead too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8391632/Libya-the-West-and-al-Qaeda-on-the-same-side.html

Anyone know what the strategy is?

Sorry, I live under a rock, not been following.

re metrovelvet

British, French, Dutch, Italian, Canadian and US military assets are being assembled, the French have started overflying Libya already. The intention at this point is to protect the rebel strongholds in the east and no doubt to hope that enough senior al-Qaḏḏāfī supporters switch sides or just withdraw as pressure mounts.

While no-one will say it officially one can only suspect that the SAS and other special forces are inside the country waiting for a signal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Vive la France!

Lets hope this helps put an end to a brutal madman who is massacring thousands of his people before our eyes. I'm glad we've learnt the lessons of Yugoslavia and Rwanda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

phosphate wrote: »
    really? do you even know what you're talking about?
    many european countries have sold over $800 million worth of weapons to libya between 2005/2009 and you think the no-fly zone is to protect libyan people?

it's amazing how stupid people can be.

Yes, western countries sold weapons to Libya. Yes, western countries are now firing on those weapons they previously sold. What exactly is your point?

Can someone tell me exactly what is going on?

The French and Italians are in? [Werent they there once before and it didnt turn out so pretty?]

The Brits are also in there?

The US has its biggest war ship floating around the Red Sea. Obama is in Rio on vacation?

And there are claims that AL Q want gaddafy duck dead too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/libya/8391632/Libya-the-West-and-al-Qaeda-on-the-same-side.html

Anyone know what the strategy is?

Sorry, I live under a rock, not been following.

I don't know if the Italians are in it per se although there are US military bases in Italy that'll be in use.

The Spanish are providing air bases, I hear.

~Also~

French have fired at military vehicles.

US tomakawks (cruise missiles) have been fired, presumably from US naval war ship.

Cameron says that "British [air] forces are now in action over Libya",

#
    1954: Reuters quotes a senior US military official saying US, British, French, Italian and Canadian forces are to launch a strike along the Libyan coast.

phosphate, get back to indymedia or p.ie will you. Your comrades are probably missing you.

They're talking about the Americans using electronic warfare to render Gaddafi's communications obsolete on skynews.

The are going to force a Win 98 update?

• Advertisement

"Civilian targets are being bombed by crusader enemy" - Libyan TV.

Advertisement