Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Libyan uprising

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Offy wrote: »
    Which leaders exactly are you talking about?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX7hMj2NKTc

Am in work can't watch that just yet

I don't remember the last time I couldn't afford to feed myself because Brian Cowan was pillaging all the country's wealth. As I said before, the sooner these places get rid of their dictators and despots, the better the world will be. Don't act all butthurt if these things don't happen overnight.

But.. America.. splutter.. so evil.. Haliburton.. hypocrisy.. Blackwater.. hopeless future.. rant - I accept, but all in good time. If you and your family had to move to rainy jobless Seattle, or sunny Zimbabwe - which would you choose - thats right, keep the perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Am in work can't watch that just yet

I don't remember the last time I couldn't afford to feed myself because Brian Cowan was pillaging all the country's wealth. As I said before, the sooner these places get rid of their dictators and despots, the better the world will be. Don't act all butthurt if these things don't happen overnight.

But.. America.. splutter.. so evil.. Haliburton.. hypocrisy.. Blackwater.. hopeless future.. rant - I accept, but all in good time. If you and your family had to move to rainy jobless Seattle, or sunny Zimbabwe - which would you choose - thats right, keep the perspective.

ehh if Im to be honest I would pick Zimbabwe, really bad choice to offer me and Im not just saying that to be argumentative. I have suffered and went hungry because of FF as it happens. As soon as we replace these dictators??? What gives us the right to do that? History shows that as soon as one dictator is replaced another pops up in their place. There will always be dictators as long as there are people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Euroland

Logic flaw there, Euroland. The point of a deterrent is that you're willing to use them. If"only idiots"are willing to use nukes, and assuming Gaddafi isn't an idiot (though his appearances recently make one wonder) then by your argument his having nukes would be completely irrelevant as no nation would need to worry about them because he wouldn't use them.

NTM

There is no logic flow. The idiots used nukes in 1945, twice bombing the Japanese civilians, while most of the countries (i.e. North Korea, Russia, etc) use them as a deterrent against US (or other) invasion. So, it would be great if the Oil-reach nations (Libya, Venezuela, Iran, etc), being permanently under the US treat, would have the nukes and would be able to protect themselves against the US Oil-inspired aggressions.

Whilst the UN intervention is ostensibly intended to enforce a ceasefire (which Gadaffi broke as soon as he declared it) in reality the last thing the coalition wants is an armistice/ stalemate, but rather the collapse of the Gadaffi regime (albeit from within).

That ceasefire was broken by the Al-Qaeda terrorists and foreign mercenaries and not by the Libyan army.

As soon as we replace these dictators??? What gives us the right to do that?

+100%, Apparently these guys genuinely believe in their superiority :D

• Advertisement

History shows that as soon as one dictator is replaced another pops up in their place.

+100%

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Euroland wrote: »
    That ceasefire was broken by the Al-Qaeda terrorists and foreign mercenaries and not by the Libyan army.

Right. What's your source on that?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Right. What's your source on that?

Al-Qaeda’s plane was mistakenly/or intentionally shot down by Al-Qaeda itself. This was used as a reason for beginning Western bombing campaign against Libya.

Al-Qaeda’s plane was mistakenly/or intentionally shot down by Al-Qaeda itself. This was used as a reason for beginning Western bombing campaign against Libya.

Grand. Any source for that?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I had to laugh a bit at this one

this person behind this is either a little imbalanced, a little kid, or I am guessing someone trolling us badly ;)

either way we seem to be feeding it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Check out eurolands property market musings, apparently we should have been investing in late 2009 as values were going to grow by 30% from then to 2014....:p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62358115

this person behind this is either a little imbalanced, a little kid, or I am guessing someone trolling us badly ;)

With the absence of arguments on the subject did you start playing the personal (insults) card?

Grand. Any source for that?

f8d0971e5223.jpg

b7390bd3d5b0.jpg

4c97d59dacc6.jpg

Good photos. What exactly am I supposed to be looking for other than a crashing plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

f8d0971e5223.jpg

b7390bd3d5b0.jpg

Bonus points to those who spot the Al Qaeda flag on the jet. :pac:

The only jet ever requisitioned by Al Qaeda? Unless by Al Qaeda you mean... arab!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Possibly someoe who straight-forward supports Gadaffi. Like Gadaffi, however, fiction seems to be interchangeable with fact where it suits.

How do you know Gadaffi is about to attack you?
    He calls a ceasefire. :D

Possibly someoe who straight-forward supports Gadaffi. Like Gadaffi, however, fiction seems to be interchangeable with fact where it suits.

How do you know Gadaffi is about to attack you?
    He calls a ceasefire. :D

He is on a few threads I'm subscribed too. I like his work.

Good photos. What exactly am I supposed to be looking for other than a crashing plane?

You asked for evidence and I gave it to you.

:D

Bonus points to those who spot the Al Qaeda flag on the jet. :pac:

The only jet ever requisitioned by Al Qaeda? Unless by Al Qaeda you mean... arab!

By Al Qaeda I mean the driving force behind the "rebels"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Those pictures were of a rebel jet who's pilot defected. Until you show some sort of proof it had anything to do with Al Qaeda you are just pulling facts out of your rear end.

Those pictures were of a rebel jet who's pilot defected. Until you show some sort of proof it had anything to do with Al Qaeda you are just pulling facts out of your rear end.

So, do you agree that it was the rebel’s jet?

But then, don’t forget that Libyan “rebels” are controlled by Al-Qaeda (and of course by the US).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

But then, don’t forget that Libyan “rebels” are controlled by Al-Qaeda (and of course by the US).

Of course. Which ultimately means that they're controlled by the freemasons/lizard people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

You still haven't given proof or any source.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There is no logic flow. The idiots used nukes in 1945, twice bombing the Japanese civilians, while most of the countries (i.e. North Korea, Russia, etc) use them as a deterrent against US (or other) invasion. So, it would be great if the Oil-reach nations (Libya, Venezuela, Iran, etc), being permanently under the US treat, would have the nukes and would be able to protect themselves against the US Oil-inspired aggressions.

I hate to point out the obvious, here, but the root point still remains that a nuke only affords protection on the knowledge that they are posessed, and the presumption that they will be used.

It's a theory which has apparently worked for several decades.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_assured_destruction

Or, quoting an internationally acknowledged expert on the subject:
    Deterrence is the art of producing in the mind of the enemy... the fear to attack. And so, because of the automated and irrevocable decision making process which rules out human meddling, the doomsday machine is terrifying. It's simple to understand. And completely credible, and convincing. But the whole point of the doomsday machine is lost if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell the world?"

"It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Premier loves surprises."

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Saif has been very quiet lately. Is there a split in the Gadaffi family?

As much as I hate to say it, they should open a path/back door for family members and those with close ties to Gaddafi to cut and run. This could result in a much quicker and less painful breakup of the regime.

If Saif isn't in front of a camera somewhere lying, then they definitely have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What are you basing your theory off from the photos? I know Al Qaeda are experts at crashing planes, but that doesn't mean they crashed this one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

mike65 wrote: »
    The insurgents/rebels/terrorists are making rapid headway west reaching Ben Jawad heading toward Surt, looks like the final stand of the current regime could be upon us pretty quickly.

Ly-map.png

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/27/libya-rebels-advance-gaddafi-home-town

Unless a deal can be struck of course.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/27/libya-turkey-mediators-prime-minister

I hereby advise :D the rebels to cordon off and bypass Sierte/Surt. Gadaffi's cousins there will feel honour bound not to let it fall before Tripoli.
    If the rebels move on to relieve the rebel defenders of Misrata, they can combine forces and then move on to surround Tripoli, hopefully provoking an internal meltdown of the Gadaffi loyalists there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

As much as I hate to say it, they should open a path/back door for family members and those with close ties to Gaddafi to cut and run. This could result in a much quicker and less painful breakup of the regime.

If Saif isn't in front of a camera somewhere lying, then they definitely have problems.

I don`t believe the man will do any such thing.

He`s home,Libya,whether we like it or not is where he`s from and I suspect it`s where he will finish up.

He`s a Berber,of the desert,and infused with a certain lunacy of purpose which totally banjaxes refined westernized folk such as Mr Obama,M. Sarkozy Mr Cameron. Frau Merkel and the rest.....

If I were advising him.....ahem....I`s suggest he stage manage the biggest LIVE TV DESPOT SURRENDER !!! ever witnessed to date.

Give yourself up Muammar sez Alek,and force this self-righteous alliance of western leaders,supposedly saner than you,to live up to all their oul guff and put you on trial for the "Genocide" which some of the more lurid red-tops are now waffling on about.

The UN has made much of their ability to refer their allegations to the International Court,so lets see whether they have more than a crock of sh1tt to stand on here ?

I remember many years back reading an article about one Saadam Hussein,and his intention to drag Her Majesty`s Government through the International Court on the issue of Kuwait and specifically the Iraqi claim over it.

From memory,the article mentioned how the Iraqi Government had some very high profile western legal advisors who had crafted a seriously robust claim which might be somewhat difficult to refute legally.......all of course irrelevant now after Bush the elder decided to cut out all that ol legal hoo-hah and just barrell on in !!! :eek:

If Muammar Gadaffi is shrewd and well advised he might just get a result out of this...BUT...He`s going to need those SKY/Fox/BBC/Al Jazeera cameras there to ensure a fair trial !

;););)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement