Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the Alternative to 'Dublin's Alternative'?

• 22-02-2011 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

When Phantom officially arrived on our airwaves it was a breath of fresh air. In recent times that breath has started to stink of money. I understand that in today's financial climate money can be hard to come by but there is a line. A line which has sadly been crossed in recent times.

I know that there are still some good people at the station, most of whom have been there since the beginning but alarm bells began to ring when Simon Maher and Richie Ryan were taken off the air. Bringing Allison Curtis in was a clear indication that they want 'big names' to attract bigger audiences and, more importantly, sponsors. I was sad to see Simon and Richie go but still had some hope that all would not be lost.

That hope was lost when I heard the news that husky voice herself, Vogue from Fade St, is to get a slot on the station. Complete with a big fat sponsorship deal from Bavaria. Talk about alienating your listeners.

The saddest thing is that there is no real alternative when it comes to rock music on the airwaves in Ireland. Nova has it's Dad rock and other stations have individual rock music shows but other than that we're left with internet stations or maybe 2XM on digital.

It's a shame after the bright start of a few years back. I'm heading back to the iPod on a full time basis now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Duq_

I've only been listening to Phantom for about a year but I loved the afternoon shows with Richie and Simon. Both shows had a great balance of banter and music. Now we have two hours of talk with Alison Curtis and then three hours of music with Claire Beck. Neither show is particularly entertaining.

For a great mix of old and new music I can recommend Dutch online station Kink ClassX: http://www.kinkfm.com/kinkclassics/
    58 minutes of non-stop music, then 2 minutes of news on the hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i find it very hard to believe someone from Fade St. will be getting a show on Phantom tbh. (edit: i see it's actually true)

nevertheless, i agree with you. the station has become insufferable over the last year.

less and less music, more talk/text/discussion nonsense, and the playlisted music these days is absolutely dreadful.
    Alison Curtis's show is rubbish, i didn't particularly like Simon's show, but this is even worse. listened a few times in the first 2 weeks and haven't since, if i want to listen to bull**** chat, i'll put on Ray D'Arcy or one of the other daytime shows.

for me, the real problem it's become less of an indie/rock station, and basically become TodayFM with added guitar music. Adele, The Wombats, Snow Patrol? **** that.
    presumably The Script or Michael Buble will be playlisted this time next year....

i listen to about 1 hour of Phantom a week these days.
    listening to mp3s has replaced listening to Phantom during the day, and i put Newstalk on in the car as Phantom no doubt has some "text us your favourite colour socks" competition, or some rubbish song that wouldn't be out of place on 2FM.

it's sad to compare the station to a few years ago, and realise what awful muck it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

The station has lost its spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/radio.php has the most eclectic (mental) mixture of music from amateur dj's you'll ever hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

A while ago they moved out of Phantom towers on North Wall Quay and into the same building as Today FM and Newstalk. I think that was the first sign of a major change. Apart from 'some' of the music it's fast becoming just another Dublin station. In fairness they always played their part in promoting good Irish music and I hope that this, at very least, continues.

For me this is the biggest downside to international and internet radio as an alternative. At the moment Nialler9 is my greatest source of good new Irish music.

• Advertisement
Advertisement