Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alfa GTA

• 22-02-2011 12:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Tell me I'd be mad to sell the GTi and buy this: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/156/*FEB-SAL/201107201316118/advert?channel=CARS

I reckon with a respray / detail (depending on the paint), refurbed alloys and retrimmed front seats along with a good service (probably needs cambelt and brakes doing) and maybe new wishbones (even though it passed the NCT) and ARB bushes I'd have a seriously unique car for in and around 8 - 10 k... Would probably need a clutch in a while too I suppose.

Looks very cheap... anyone know or looked at it?

Comments

What GTi do you have?
    I reckon you'd be mad to respray the Alfa anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

3,600e might get that.:D

if you are happy to marry it, go for it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I have a 2006 gti at the moment.

The reason I was thinking of respraying it is at that asking price you could really make a project out of restoring it to almost factory condition.

I think the seats are class too but the drivers one looks very worn.

I reckon if you could get it for 4000 it is a serious bargain.

Your right about marrying it though, it's not really a sensible thing to do but I have always loved that car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I drove one of them once - they are bloody fast I must say, but be sure to pull out before you gun it or it'll torque steer you into the hedge !
    nice car - a future classic if you could keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That was my thinking. I'd only buy it if I was going to make a project out of it and get it back to almost new condition. But at that price as long as it's reasonably sound you have that option. Hmmmmmmmm. Wish I didn't see it now to be honest!

• Advertisement

You only live once as they say :)
    If you bought it and didn't spray it and got sick of it and spent say €1000 on maintenance a year for two years it's still not too bad even if you literally got nothing for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Beauty!!!

Go for it dude. Fantastic motor and a steal at that sorta money. You seem to be a realistic guy, so budget for maintenance properly and have a little slush fund for when a thing or two go wrong. And cry yourself to sleep once a year after handing over the €1,566 in motor tax :D
    RoverJames wrote: »
    You only live once as they say :)
    If you bought it and didn't spray it and got sick of it and spent say €1000 on maintenance a year for two years it's still not too bad even if you literally got nothing for it.

What he said!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

The reg would probably scare off some potential buyers!

There was a new, unregged one of those around before that sat unsold in the back yard of a dealer in Dublin for a few years. Dont know if its the same one but a rare machine.

Only looked at the reg now when you said that :cool: :cool: :cool:
    Savage cool reg :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There was a new, unregged one of those around before that sat unsold in the back yard of a dealer in Dublin for a few years. Dont know if its the same one but a rare machine.

I remember that one. Might have been an '03 and all. I think at some stage they were looking for €49,995 for it :D

• Advertisement

lolz

but why buy that when you could by an older BMW 850Csi, with a nice V12 to scare people away....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

lolz

but why buy that when you could by an older BMW 850Csi, with a nice V12 to scare people away....

why buy any car when you can get one for the same price that drinks petrol like it's going out of fashion?

Dacia Sandero vs. a knackerd Rolls Royce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I wanted that reg when I was importing my own car, it was on some poxy fiat when I checked ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Daegerty wrote: »
    why buy any car when you can get one for the same price that drinks petrol like it's going out of fashion?

I reckon the CSi gets the same, if not better, MPG than the GTA.
    lolz

Point me in the direction of the 5k CSi please!

gpf101 wrote: »
    I have a 2006 gti at the moment.

Getting rid of that without losing your arse on it may be the problem me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

lolz

Lol, I can assure you, you cannot pick up an 850CSi for less than say £12,000 plus VRT. And thats the super cheap RHD versions. LHD is 2x the price.

I know it will be way more expensive, I assumed everyone knew that.
    Since the GTA is in 3 litre territory, the 850 BMW is a superior car all round.

I know which one I would get... I mean which ever car you get you will be marrying em for life :), although I think the 850 would be easier to sell as its much more saught after.

Matt, why is a LHD more expensive? I saw a Polish LHD 850Csi in Cork years back, some car. Think it was a 97 model.

I know it will be way more expensive, I assumed everyone knew that.
    Since the GTA is in 3 litre territory, the 850 BMW is a superior car all round.

I know which one I would get... I mean which ever car you get you will be marrying em for life :), although I think the 850 would be easier to sell as its much more saught after.

Matt, why is a LHD more expensive? I saw a Polish LHD 850Csi in Cork years back, some car. Think it was a 97 model.
    If you want cheap, nice sounding, FWD and somewhat exclusivity, then buy the GTA. Its entirely different in nearly every way to an early 90s V12 German coupe though.
    For similar price the OP could pick up an 850i (5.0 M70 engine, not CSi which is a 5.6 S70 engined unit) and get it tuned quite easy to 340bhp. Still, not really a sports car though and IMO, needs a wrencher as an owner (or someone that can afford to pay for maintenance on a near £100,000 coupe).

LHD models are worth more as there is simply more of a market on continental Europe, they are highly sought after there. And the US and Japan (where they have a preference for LHD "true" German cars). Those guys cannot stand the pricing we can get the RHD (used) versions at.. even more amusing is there was only 160 odd RHD CSi's, one of which is mine. :D Given that rarity even at our heavily depreciated prices I think it wouldnt be too hard to sell, though that doesnt interest me (selling it).

If you saw a 1997 "CSi" then it was a fake, the CSi was sold upto 96 and even that would be extremely rare as most are 93-mid95. It may have been an 850Ci which is the later 5.4l M73 engined version. Or, much more likely, the baby version, the 840Ci (M60/M62 4.0/4.4 V8) which came with the MTech (CSi) bodykit in many markets and was sold upto 1999. ;)
    Still, comparing a 156 GTA to a 850CSi is an amazingly apples to oranges comparison! :pac:
    I wholeheartedly recommend the GTA, for the price, sound and performance (in that order.. :D )!

PS: On the GTA at that price I wouldnt do more than a good detailing and maybe some performance mods (cant recall what the LSD status is on them), I wouldnt be spending big $$ on it, certainly not 100% of the car value being suggested!! :O

Matt Simis wrote: »
    If you want cheap, nice sounding, FWD and somewhat exclusivity, then buy the GTA. Its entirely different in nearly every way to an early 90s V12 German coupe though.
    For similar price the OP could pick up an 850i (5.0 M70 engine, not CSi which is a 5.6 S70 engined unit) and get it tuned quite easy to 340bhp. Still, not really a sports car though and IMO, needs a wrencher as an owner (or someone that can afford to pay for maintenance on a near £100,000 coupe).

LHD models are worth more as there is simply more of a market on continental Europe, they are highly sought after there. And the US and Japan (where they have a preference for LHD "true" German cars). Those guys cannot stand the pricing we can get the RHD (used) versions at.. even more amusing is there was only 160 odd RHD CSi's, one of which is mine. :D Given that rarity even at our heavily depreciated prices I think it wouldnt be too hard to sell, though that doesnt interest me (selling it).

If you saw a 1997 "CSi" then it was a fake, the CSi was sold upto 96 and even that would be extremely rare as most are 93-mid95. It may have been an 850Ci which is the later 5.4l M73 engined version. Still, comparing a 156 GTA to a 850CSi is an amazingly apples to oranges comparison! :pac:

I wholeheartedly recommend the GTA, for the price, sound and performance (in that order.. :D )!

thanks for the update, I am sure it was a Csi, as it was either written on the back, or the garage guy told me (who servced BMs for over 20 years and said he heard the grrrrrrrrrrr when it was driven into his garage and he curled up his ears like a dog... lol, he never saw a machine like it). I remember the guy telling me it was the high end 850, he sure wasnt bluffing.!

I took a pure guess on the year, btw. it had foreign plates. my photos are long lost sadly.

Off topic, but what insurance do you pay?!

Off topic, but what insurance do you pay?!

EUR400 with 6k miles a year. 15years and older counts as classic for BMWs. See BMW-Driver.net for more details ("Classic Insurance offer"). Basically you can insure all the greats (E30 M3, E34 M5 or regular models) for that or less, think at the 4th car they give a further 75% discount.

Obviously like with any Classic type policy you are meant to have another, primary, car.

PS: "CSi" being written on the back isnt much of a feat, you can get them from eBay or dealer! Some used dealers even badge and sell 840's as CSi's, would be like selling a 530i as an M5 as it had an MSport kit.

• Advertisement

thats cheap.. :)

I am still pretty sure it was a CSi, it certainy had a v12 lump...

my photos are long gone sadly. but lovely car.

Advertisement