Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new manager hard to deal with

Options
  • 22-02-2011 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

ok so i have been in my present job for 6 years. we have a new area mamager with super new ideas on how the shop should be run. hes 24 and straight from university with big degrees .
    i work for a large retail outlet. im 48 and he has hinted that younger people would have more speed than some of the older workers, and i cant say hes wrong about that.
    He has also stated to the polish workers that they could go back to poland if they not happy with the new rules.
    he has now started to ask for time limits which i myself find impossible to reach.

He will give me tasks and a time to do them in and i just cannot do this no matter how much i push myself.
    is my only option to leave,
    as now he is giving discipline's for tasks not finished .
    If i leave i will be hard pushed to find another job at my age tbh. he said just because im Irish doesn't guarantee me my job, lol as if i thought that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Is it a large retail outlet, approx how many people are working with you?

Are ye unionised?

Is there someone above him you could report him to?

Where has he come up with his standards or work rates, has he done official time studies or is he just guessing?

What I would do is to take note with dates and times of misappropriate things that he says, some of that is borderline racism and he is being totally ageist. These types of actions are not taken lightly by the labour relations court and he could find himself in serious trouble if he continues this attitude. Personally I would hold out your job whilst recording his wrong doings as someone at some stage will bring a gross misconduct suit against him and hopefully it will be bye bye bad boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

its a large as tesco, and all the staff have already complained officially against him,
    no we are not in a union, most people i work with are just scared of losing their jobs now.he has blamed our last boss on being too lax, and said we were allowed away with murder. our old boss is gone and we have a new one, he is just the area manager, but with the power to fire
    oh and i will start keeping notes, i never thought of that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I give this peep squeak upstart less than a month if he continues with disgraceful and i might add discriminatory remarks about eastern europeans going home. Its all well and good having degrees coming out their arse's but at 24, they hav'nt experienced the real world. Clearly this person has lots to learn.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

dollyk wrote: »
    its a large as tesco, and all the staff have already complained officially against him,
    no we are not in a union, most people i work with are just scared of losing their jobs now.he has blamed our last boss on being too lax, and said we were allowed away with murder. our old boss is gone and we have a new one, he is just the area manager, but with the power to fire
    oh and i will start keeping notes, i never thought of that
    Have you an option to join a union because I find that it is times like this that unions actually work. He only has the power to fire if he goes through the correct procedures and you have to have done something wrong. If he gives you an official warning make sure you appeal it as this will have to be dealt with by someone who is over him, if he made an incorrect judgement then the warning will not stand and his bosses may question his management credentials. An appeal is a way of saying that you don't agree with the punishment and a means of gathering evidence against unfair dismisal if it does go that far.

Whatever you do don't let it get to you, sit tight for the moment though and as I said take notes. This guy is probably either making his mark or is an idiot and won't last very long in his position.

Oh and if it is an official warning he must tell you that it is official, I hope this helps

Advertisement