Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead Desktop. CPU dead?

• 22-02-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,310 ✭✭✭✭

OK Quick one for you regs:

Desktop. Gateway. Old 2006. Not even on their website anywhere. Handy!

Powers on, lights/LEDs on, fan full speed. No output, or change in fan speed. No Beeps, No Blinks. After a CMOS Reset (which on this board meant no jumper, so removed battery for an hour and unplugged) the Monitor is coming on but the screen is pure blank, no other change.

Was told the system died in the middle of typical use.

Is the processor fried? I'm assuming it's not the HDD as I'd at least get BIOS, so at least the data shouldn't be a loss.

edit: reseated RAM - 3 long beeps. Blank screen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Overheal wrote: »
    OK Quick one for you regs:

Desktop. Gateway. Old 2006. Not even on their website anywhere. Handy!

Powers on, lights/LEDs on, fan full speed. No output, or change in fan speed. No Beeps, No Blinks. After a CMOS Reset (which on this board meant no jumper, so removed battery for an hour and unplugged) the Monitor is coming on but the screen is pure blank, no other change.

Was told the system died in the middle of typical use.

Is the processor fried? I'm assuming it's not the HDD as I'd at least get BIOS, so at least the data shouldn't be a loss.

edit: reseated RAM - 3 long beeps. Blank screen.
    i had that problem last year bought a new moniter and connected it up and all was perfect after that i was told beforehand that's what was causing the problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,310 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Seems unlikely, the Monitor works with other PCs just fine. Hooked up by VGA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

try reseating your graphics card or testing it out in another pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,310 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

try reseating your graphics card or testing it out in another pc
    What Graphics card? :pac: I said a Gateway not an Alienware. Doesnt matter its going to the shop where they have the resources to play LEGO with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Overheal wrote: »
    What Graphics card? :pac: I said a Gateway not an Alienware. Doesnt matter its going to the shop where they have the resources to play LEGO with it.

Hi Overheal,
    These can always be difficult to troubleshoot.

First of all I would remove any unnecessary hardware. (disconnect it)
    Just leave Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Power connected.
    Disconnect any printers or external devices. Disconnect any internal expansion cards. (modems) Then disconnect floppy/CD drives.
    Still no joy.....
    Take out the ram (if there are two sticks, take out one stick, if there is only one stick, swap the port it is in if possible)
    Try boot again.

It maybe a software problem on the machine stopping boot as well

EDIT - just see you are bringing to shop , fair enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement