Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable Router security problem

• 22-02-2011 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

My sis has internet from cable provider (not UPC, so no customer service to hassle) and I've been trying to set up a wireless router (Linkyss WRK54G) she had in a flat in Galway which was on UPC.

It seems to work fine with security disabled, but with security enabled (they're in a housing estate so this is necessary) it either seems possible to connect her laptop wirelessly or an ipod but not both. WEP seems to work with ipod and WPA with laptop though I have no idea why either would make a difference. I've used WEP for years and no problems and both devices connect to WEP fine in my house on a DSL broadband connection.

I'll admit that cable internet is not my thing but if I follow the FAQ on the manufacturers support site, surely I cant be going too far wrong?

Or could the router be in some way broken? I'd get one out of a shop to try it but Argos dont do the refund on them and I have no idea where else round here might sell (loan) them.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

It's not necessarily your wireless router that's the problem and no, WiFi isn't affected by what type of broadband connection you have.
    Ipods have always been a bit finicky when it comes to WiFi, especially the older ones. Best thing to do if you can, is update your iPod firmware, there may be a fix for it's WiFi.

You could also update your WRK54G. You can find the firmware at their website here.

That should fix your problem in most cases.

Also if you can, you're best using WPA security on your WiFi kit, its far far more secure than the weak WEP. Most devices sold in the last 3-4 years should be compatible with it (even iPods).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

excellent :) thanks

Advertisement