Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another huge earthquake in Christchurch

Options
  • 22-02-2011 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Just hearing reports on the news of another earthquake (magnitude 6.3) that's hit Christchurch. I hope everybody there is safe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10707997

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4688231/Large-quake-strikes-Christchurch

Just heard about this at work. People are very worried and trying to contact loved ones in Christchurch.

Really scary stuff. Hope all boardsies are ok. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Ya,
    Just seen it on mobile news.
    The city is getting hit hard

http://m.tvnz.co.nz/home?story=4038261

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

live radio feed here.... http://www.radiolive.co.nz/Portals/0/popup/Listen.htm

Pictures here http://www.3news.co.nz/National/tabid/1230/articleID/199309/Default.aspx

The cathedral looks badly damaged, it's a bad time of day to hit, middle of the day all the kids in school, No reports of fatal injuries hopefully stays that way, the hospitals are being evacuated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I saw a report saying people were dead, being pulled from a bus or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I saw a report saying people were dead, being pulled from a bus or something.

I'm listening to the radio, it's not sounding good. Some big buildings gone down with people in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

It will be amazing if nobody has died. Hopefully not too many. Those poor feckers are just starting to get back on their feet after last year.

We're waiting to receive patients by air from Christchurch hospital right now, apparantly they've had "serious structural failures".

Wellington dodges another bullet...

pclancy wrote: »
    It will be amazing if nobody has died. Hopefully not too many. Those poor feckers are just starting to get back on their feet after last year.

We're waiting to receive patients by air from Christchurch hospital right now, apparantly they've had "serious structural failures".

Wellington dodges another bullet...

The thought of it happening here makes me feel sick to my stomach. :(

With some of the pictures of buildings I've seen if there was people in them they can't have survived. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Im supposed to be heading down at the end of April to work at the rebuilding. Thats if the tremors ever stop.

Fire service has confirmed fatalities.
    They are really having a terrible time of it down there,

Sorry for missinfo....Hospital confirmed now NOT to be evacuated and is in operation...

For anyone looking for info: Patient Information Phone is 03 364 0600 (+64 from outside NZ)

Confirmed deaths now being reported in the news :(

watna wrote: »
    The thought of it happening here makes me feel sick to my stomach. :(

With some of the pictures of buildings I've seen if there was people in them they can't have survived. :(

Its pretty worrying but all you can really do is just be prepared. There's no real doubt that it will happen here one day within the next 50 years, this is another reminder to Wellingtonians to have enough water and food to survive for at least 3 days and have a plan of what to do and where to meet if there's a big quake.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hope everyone is OK. Big difference to this one was that last time people I knew were on facebook straight away saying that they were OK.
    Now..nothing..!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

The footage is shocking, looks a lot worse than the Sept one. Hope there's not many fatalities but it's not looking good at the mo :(

An old friend was here in Wellington for the weekend and flew to Christchurch yesterday. We're waiting to hear from her, not sure if she was in the city when it happened though.

Really feel for the people living down there, they can't seem to catch a break at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Saw some footage on OneNews (via Ch Ten News in Oz) of a young guy being carried out, face down, with a lot of blood in his head. Wasn't moving either.

Not going to be good fatalities wise :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Just read about it AH. Thoughts and prayers with you all. xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

On Reuters that there are dead lying on the streets.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Just got word that my friend's ok. She was in the city centre when it happened but I don't think she was hurt. My heart goes out to anyone affected.

The footage is very distressing. Reports that Lyttleton is in complete ruins too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm heading there for the world cup to visit the missus' family. Haven't heard from them yet.

Some of the images/videos are horrific.

4689772_600x400.jpg

65 confirmed dead just now by John Key. Number sure to rise. Wish I could do something to help them.

65 confirmed dead just now by John Key. Number sure to rise. Wish I could do something to help them.

Me too. I feel really helpless. Just sitting here glued to the news.

I'm presuming the Red Cross and other charities will set up bank accounts soon to donate so I'll definitely do that but i guess there's not much else New Zealanders can do.

RIP to all who died.

Hope everyone else is coping.. somewhat.

• Advertisement

live feed went from 17 confirmed dead to 65 dead in the past few min

Iconic cathedral has lost its spire :( That will be the end of it.

4689772_600x400.jpg

Yeah I guess all we can do is donate something. Peoples nerves must be totally shot now. There will be plenty more aftershocks over the next 48 hours for sure.

Iconic cathedral has lost its spire :( That will be the end of it.

They will surely rebuild it.

Yeah, I reckon they'll rebuild it too. The news is talking about how it's a symbol of Christchurch. They'll want to get it back up as a symbol of getting Christchurch back on its feet.

I'd say the city will look really different once they get it all cleared up and things rebuilt.

Agree, it should be rebuilt.
    The town will go under an over haul like Napier did in the 30's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

was only there last Wednesday staying just off the main square. Horrible stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Feel really sorry for the people of New Zealand. RIP to all those that have died :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Thoughts with everyone there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thinking of everyone in chch. My sister is south of the city and is thankfully ok. She is due to have her first baby on Friday and is now hoping bub will hold on for a few more days becuase at the moment they don't think they would be able to get into the city. Have another friend who is just off Moorhouse ave, near AMI Stadium...haven't heard anything from them yet:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

First footage showing the aftermath of a magnitude 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand

Sky News Report on Earthquake in Christchurch New Zealand

SKY NEWS

Anyone with concerns regarding family or friends can contact the department and register details online on its travel registration system.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx

Advertisement