Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another huge earthquake in Christchurch

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Eh Lads, anyone hear from froo yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

God, the poor, poor people. I couldn't believe it when my husband told me this morning. I think a few kiwis have finally woken up to the fact they need to plan for this sort of disaster. I believe they are supposed to have an update at around about 5.30am (NZ time).

Anyone know how someone could donate from Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

esharknz wrote: »
    God, the poor, poor people. I couldn't believe it when my husband told me this morning. I think a few kiwis have finally woken up to the fact they need to plan for this sort of disaster. I believe they are supposed to have an update at around about 5.30am (NZ time).

The Salvation Army are among those taking donations now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Just saw this Google Person Finder, have an inquiry for a friend

http://christchurch-2011.person-finder.appspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Australian PM pledges full support of Australia to New Zealand

Great to see that when help is needed Australia comes to aid of it's neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 intrigued12

why not donate to all the other famine zones/earthquake zones around the world, and especially in third world countries? New Zealand is a wealthy country, im sure they don't need the donations of a few quid you're gonna send, and the money would be better sent to one of the innumerable african places of famine, aids, religious persecution etc. etc.

why not donate to all the other famine zones/earthquake zones around the world, and especially in third world countries? New Zealand is a wealthy country, im sure they don't need the donations of a few quid you're gonna send, and the money would be better sent to one of the innumerable african places of famine, aids, religious persecution etc. etc.

Possibly because I want to help my fellow citizens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Why not campaign for the worlds injustices in the humanities forum?

Go to NZ yourself and see how wealthy a country it is, they just happen to put their money and resources to much better use than many 3rd world countries. Don't be so pious when people want to put their hands in their pockets to help their own, and when there is nothing to suggest that they haven't donated to less well off places too.

emmmm....no need to get into a debate on why New Zealand are wealthier than third world countries, for one thing , the comparison is laughable, and for another, I heard from a friend of mine on boards ( i just joined) that disagreeing with a moderator on boards isn't really worth wasting one's time on as you'll inevitably get banned/modded/suspended if you strongly disagree with their views. So let's leave it. esharkz, apologies, i didnt realise you were from there.

No hard feelings.
    It's just one of my worst nightmares to wake up and read of earthquakes there, particularly if there are family involved.
    I'm from Wellington myself, so have lived in fear of the big one for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Heard this morning that blood supplies are adequate for the meantime so there is no drive on people to donate at the moment.

Its a good thing that Australian doctors convention was happening in ChCh ay?

Heard this morning that blood supplies are adequate for the meantime so there is no drive on people to donate at the moment.

Its a good thing that Australian doctors convention was happening in ChCh ay?

haha - I said the same myself!

I think the singapore military was in the area too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

You worry that people want to support the people of New Zealand in this tradegy and on another thread:
    .......without trying to be insensitive, this earthquake will surely mean a rake load of construction work/ labouring work available.....

Maybe the donations will pay your wages. FFS.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    You worry that people want to support the people of New Zealand in this tradegy and on another thread:

Maybe the donations will pay your wages. FFS.

silly person, what in christ-church's name is your point?

haha - I said the same myself!

I think the singapore military was in the area too.

I heard something like that alright but I thought they said the nz military were doing drills in the region.

K-Rudd also made a statement that oz are going to throw everything they have with regards to search & rescue at it which is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

This isn't After Hours. Cop on everyone.

Intrigued12: a little sensitivity please. Next step is a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Donations to the Salvation Army will always get to those who really need it...

http://www.salvationarmy.org.nz/giving-back/donate-online/

genuinely dont get the issue? IS it THAT strict on here? the guy is from wexford, and made a comment about another post, that was irrelevant. I called him silly. He also said FFS, implying i was stupid. Where's the issue here??

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

genuinely dont get the issue? IS it THAT strict on here? the guy is from wexford, and made a comment about another post, that was irrelevant. I called him silly. He also said FFS, implying i was stupid. Where's the issue here??

thanks

Yes, it is that strict on here. You are posting this in a forum for people who live or are from New Zealand and Australia. People are upset. Do you not think that is understandable? We're trying to minimise that, especially with people who are expected trolls. Mikedragon has said this is not After Hours. If you want to go and talk **** and make jokes, go there. This is not the forum for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

How much more can the people of Oz n Nz put up with .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

i never made any jokes. what joke? Sorry if any offence has been caused to anyone, but none was intended i assumed mostly irish people would be on here as its about working and traveling to new zealand. Why would they all be on here? Are you from there? Or are you sticking your nose in?

Anyway, if you've been affected by the earthquake directly my sincere commiserations. but dont take it out on me.

Well you are the one banging on about donating to 3rd world countries rather than New Zealand, it everyones choice and most people on here would be putting their hand in their pocket for NZ the same way as when the QLD floods I donated to that.

When the tsunami hit Indonesia 6 years ago, The Australian goverment give them $65m in Aid..... guess how much Indonesia give Aus after last months floods?

Intrigue12 has been banned. I'd appreciate if we didn't respond to his trolling anymore and moved on with this thread.

I work in a government department in Wellington and all our non essential work has been shelved. All my meetings today have been cancelled and we're focussing on assisting other agencies (service delivery type ones) focus on the earthquake.

NZ is not going to be the same again for a long time.

For anyone on Twitter, @safeinchch are retweeting requests for info.

Also bit of a long shot but does anyone know if Christchurch Hospital or Princess Margaret Hospital are ok? Have a friend who works there and he hasn't replied to my texts/emails etc. (but it could just be he is his lazy self). Im only his friend so don't really want to be ringing the emergency numbers yet, just he was a lot quicker to reply after last years quake is all.

Also bit of a long shot but does anyone know if Christchurch Hospital or Princess Margaret Hospital are ok? Have a friend who works there and he hasn't replied to my texts/emails etc. (but it could just be he is his lazy self). Im only his friend so don't really want to be ringing the emergency numbers yet, just he was a lot quicker to reply after last years quake is all.

Hes probably up to his eyes in casualties and hasnt time to reply to texts.

I've heard both hospitals are fine. I've seen a few people online ask about them. I don't have anything concrete though but I know Chch hospital is taking in patients and I've seen Queen Margarets mentioned as ok.

Maybe post up online asking him to let people know he is safe? There's a google page or even stuff and other NZ news sites having message posting.

Thanks, have tweeted on @safeinchch, they have put him on:

http://christchurch-2011.person-finder.appspot.com/ too.

Have left a message on his facebook too. Hoping he is just being his usual unhurried self.

Edit: So thankfully he got in touch and is ok. Stopping with friends in Halswell now.

Just got sent this at work - thought it may be of interest if you know anyone staying in Chch and where they are staying
    Copthorne Durham Street / Copthorne Central City / Copthorne Commodore
    All three hotels have successfully evacuated their guests. There are currently no reported injuries to guests or staff.

Grand Chancellor
    Unconfirmed reports have been received of serious damage to the building.

Heritage
    The Heritage has been evacuated for at least the next three days. The property is reported to be structurally sound however properties surrounding the hotel are unstable.

Marque Hotel
    The Marque Christchurch has sustained structural damage and all guests and employees have been relocated to the disaster emergency centre. The hotel is closed, however the building appears to be secure. The hotel cannot open before approval from the government.

Millennium
    The Millennium Hotel Christchurch has successfully evacuated their guests. There are no current reports of injuries to guests or staff.

Oaks iStay
    Police have evacuated Oaks iStay, they are unsure as yet to the state of the building therefore are not accepting bookings at this time for arrival into the hotel until Wednesday 2 March.

Rydges Christchurch Hotel
    Rydges has evacuated guests and staff from the hotel safely. At this stage the property cannot confirm when access will be returned. The hotel is waiting for the authorities to advice on the state of the CBD.

Sudima Hotel Christchurch Airport
    The Sudima has not sustained any damage and is currently taking bookings. The hotel is full at present but we will continue to monitor the situation.

We are currently experiencing difficulties in contacting:

Airport Delta & Airport Motor Lodge, All Seasons Hotel, Chateau Blanc Suites , Chateau on the park, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn Avon River, Holiday Inn City, Hotel off the Square, Hotel SO, Ibis Hotel, Latimer Hotel, Novotel , Poplar Apartments, Scenic Suites Christchurch on Kilmore St and

The team at APX will continue working to obtain the most up to date information from all our accommodation suppliers.

Rental Car Update
    Avis have advised there will be no extra charges incurred if clients want to take a rental car back to their home city in the South Island.

Coachlines Update
    Intercity Coachlines/Newmans Coachlines are unable to accept any new bookings for travel to or ex Christchurch until further notice. Their coaches have been requested by Civil Defence in Christchurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Absolutely heartbreaking news. Christchurch only just seemed to be getting back on their feet for this to happen.
    I really wish there was something I could physically do to help, it feels horrible sitting here continuing on with everything when all this horror is going on back home :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Advertisement