Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another huge earthquake in Christchurch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

hussey wrote: »

Powerful stuff

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Have a neighbour very close to that area,Luckily he's grand and the parents got the call to say he was fine before they found out about it at all which is a great thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

My sis was there on September 4 last for the last bad event and it was very scary stuff,my thoughts are with the poor souls :(.

Strong country and it won't be long before they get on with their lives,jeez we have little to worry about over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Two Irish confirmed amongst the dead according to thejournal.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

For anyone thats in need of a break away from Christchurch, or inded anyone in NZ that wants to offer a bed this website is excellent:

http://www.quakeescape.org.nz/

Look at the amount of goodwill being shown by so many strangers. Awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Two Irish confirmed amongst the dead according to thejournal.ie.

One of the men has been named as Owen McKenna, in his mid-40s, from County Monaghan.

The other man is understood to have been married to an Irish woman and it is reported that he may originally have been from Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Just spoke to my brother for the first time since the quake and thankfully, he's definitely 100% OK and staying with a friend about 5k outside the CBD of Christchurch. In my 10 minute conversation, they had 3 aftershocks!

Somebody is definitely watching over him as 30s before the major quake, he was in an elevator and had just exited a building following an interview when he felt a major tremor and the buildings started shaking. He headed straight for the middle of the road and roared at people for them to do the same.

He was also helping out in the evacuation areas erecting tents and he says that everyone is ganging together and helping each other as you'd expect.

There's some ****load of aftershocks at the moment and he's still pretty shook up but thankful to be alive. The hostel he was staying in was flattened but thankfully all he has lost is his clothes as he had most of his valuables with him while out doing interviews.

Hopefully, his next step will be to get the f**k out of there ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

just spotted this over on reddit, taken a few seconds after the quake.. bit mad!

0vZbD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Ozeire wrote: »
    First footage showing the aftermath of a magnitude 6.3 earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand

Sky News Report on Earthquake in Christchurch New Zealand

SKY NEWS

Anyone with concerns regarding family or friends can contact the department and register details online on its travel registration system.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx

oh my god. that's the first time i saw any footage of the centre of town. i deliberately avoided it initially (my flatmate was working there, and i was just trying to get her to come home because her cat which barely survived the last quake got knocked out by bits of our house falling on it this time. but **** man, ive just sat here with tears streaming down my face. it's insane, we've just been camping out the back garden (no power or water one ****ed wall and one mostly ****ed wall). dont know what we're gonna do though, or what's gonna happen in chch.

ok though.
    Eh Lads, anyone hear from froo yet??

thanks man, im here, and ok. no power, gonna have to move house again. ok, drained, and at a mates who does have power now and gotta bouncing 8year old, so gonna go cos can't handle that right now.
    why not donate to all the other famine zones/earthquake zones around the world, and especially in third world countries? New Zealand is a wealthy country, im sure they don't need the donations of a few quid you're gonna send, and the money would be better sent to one of the innumerable african places of famine, aids, religious persecution etc. etc.

we've actually talked heaps around this last coupla days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paddyak

hi just thought i'd put a post up here re the earthquake . currently there are reports of 9 Irish missing and 2 dead. a lot of Irish backpackers have been evacuated to wellington without belongings , money passports etc .
    i live in wellington next to the airport . if you know of anyone affected thats here that needs a bed , to use a phone , internet etc and some home comfort please get them to in contact me .

Dub in NZ

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Glad your OK Crumble Foo!

Hope you get out of there soon Crumlefroo. Is there anywhere else you can go to chill out? The north island's nice right now get up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

paddyak wrote: »
    hi just thought i'd put a post up here re the earthquake . currently there are reports of 9 Irish missing and 2 dead. a lot of Irish backpackers have been evacuated to wellington without belongings , money passports etc .
    i live in wellington next to the airport . if you know of anyone affected thats here that needs a bed , to use a phone , internet etc and some home comfort please get them to in contact me .

Dub in NZ

Fair play to you champ

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's weird, two months ago (Christmas / Stephen's Day) I was in CHCH when we experienced a few small aftershocks. At the time those who had had them before were used to them, and even we - after an initial shock - adjusted fairly quickly. But they were minor, and we almost laughed them off. This, though, illustrates the devastating power they can actually cause.

I've been home since January, but still shocked viewing pictures of streets I was walking down eight weeks ago in rubble. Luckily, all my friends in CHCH appear to be safe and sound at this point. But never has a natural disaster hit home so hard for me, and reading the ever increasing death toll - 98 I think at the moment - truly puts things in perspective.

It's a lovely, vibrant and unique city, and I hope the community pulls together to see themselves through this (they already are).

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Christchurch New Zealand braces for death toll rise

Awful how they had to stop the rescue on the building .

Latest Sky Report on aftermath of earthquake in Christchurch New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

It's been 2 day. As bad as it sounds, survivors are a slim chance

Sky News Update Christchurch Quake24th Feb pt1

Sky News Update Christchurch Quake24th Feb pt2

Unfortunately the death death toll is rising 98 now . I hated hearing 2 were babies of only a few months . Makes you questions things really .

Sky News Update Christchurch Quake 25th Feb pt1

Sky News Update Christchurch Quake 25th Feb pt2

This story is so sad:

"I became a triage officer deciding who was saveable and who wasn't. At the same time the CTV building was burning just in front of me" wrote an ambulance officer of the aftermath of the Christchurch earthquake.

The unnamed ambulance officer, on the ground in Christchurch, sent this powerful email to NewstalkZB yesterday:

I was sitting down studying. My weighted-down plasma screen went first and it just exploded. I tried to stand up and was thrown to the ground. Everything was broken. Checked on the neighbour, threw everything I could think of into the car, the dogs, and off I went to work.

It took me 45 minutes to travel the 7km into the city. Got to the station. It was condemned, inundated with over a foot of mud.

Went off to the triage centre in Latimer Square.

Bodies were being piled up in one corner . . . I was given a patient . . . she'd fallen from the top of the CTV building to the ground.

After a nightmare drive to hospital, we returned to Latimer Square . . . I became a triage officer deciding who was saveable and who wasn't. At the same time the CTV building was burning just in front of me.

It was unbelievable with the smoke, the alarms, the sirens, the helicopters and the screams.

The church opposite then collapsed following a large aftershock, narrowly missing a number of the fire and ambulance vehicles. Drugs were at a premium. Patients were arriving from everywhere.

People were dragged out, carried out on doors, on shutters. Most injuries were severe, massive crush injuries.

As we tried to make our way through the broken buildings and streets, a report came through that there were multiple trapped. On arrival I discovered it was the PGC building.

A crew had arrived on the scene some four hours earlier and had been trying to manage with minimal resources and without communications. No-one knew they were there. They had already experienced horrific sights you cannot imagine.

One held a man, gave him his cellphone so he could ring his wife. He told her he loved her, then he died. Another colleague was faced with a horribly entrapped man. There is no way he could be saved while we watched on hopelessly and helplessly and he slipped away through his horrible suffering.

Our first patient brought out was a beautiful 20-year-old girl whose spine had been shattered. She was contorted horribly and was paralysed. She was in irreversible shock and lost consciousness as we went. I fought so hard with a surgeon to keep her alive. She didn't make it.
    Ad Feedback

Our last patient had been pinned for some time by his legs. Crews . . . did every damn thing they could do to get him out. In the end a surgeon had to amputate both his legs.

We waited desperately to get him into the vehicle. I drove as fast as I could on appalling roads that we could later not return on. He died as we arrived in hospital.

In the meantime, another man had been pinned by his legs by a massive beam. We arranged to uplift all the necessary drugs to prevent crush syndrome. When we returned to him he was gone.

The rain started. We were replaced. I wanted to stay but by now was working purely automatically. I returned to sign out and got taken back to my car which was now surrounded by liquefaction. I don't really want to live in Christchurch any more .

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/4703447/Ambulance-officer-tells-of-quake-horror

Damn, don't have enough time to sit and read/watch any of that news, we still only have radio news, really. Some newspaper ones filtering through. All a bit surreal, our house is beyond salvageable, so we've to start trying to figure out what and where we'll be doing things in 6 months time. Just camping out the back garden in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Damn, don't have enough time to sit and read/watch any of that news, we still only have radio news, really. Some newspaper ones filtering through. All a bit surreal, our house is beyond salvageable, so we've to start trying to figure out what and where we'll be doing things in 6 months time. Just camping out the back garden in the meantime.

Are you going to leave Chch? You can always come up to Wellington/Auckland/New Plymouth or somewhere. I reckon you'd get jobs etc.

Thanks Watna. Just don't much want to leave without an actual plan, and can't make a plan without some more information, so just gonna hang around and find out what's up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

ok, you know where I am and how to get hold of me anyway if you need anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Just read this in the NZIA website
    A Book of Condolence will be open at St Ann's Church, Dawson St, Dublin 2 from Monday 28 th February. The book will be located near the altar and will be available for signing between 1000 and 1600 each day

http://www.newzealand.ie/

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Froo.. glad to hear you are ok. When I heard you were the first one I thought of! mind yourself and stay safe!!

Crazy photos to compare before and after of many buildings in the Christchurch.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/4705106/Photos-Before-and-after-the-Christchurch-earthquake

Pretty scary.

Crazy times man. Officially got red stickered yesterday, it's illegal to enter our house now. Got there just in time to get our stuff out. Flat hunting now. Glad I do minimalism pretty well. All my stuff fits in my mate's car.

People back home (family mostly) are keen for me to be there, so once I have a flat sorted, strongly considering heading that way for a bit of a holiday, it's all just so much here.

At least wait till the poo dust is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭patrickrushe

3 of 6 ambulance bases in Christchurch were put out of action by the earthquake. Staff had to operate out of city car parks and rely on the community for food, water and hygiene facilities.

St John Ambulance, New Zealand, a non-profit charity are currently trying to rebuild. To learn more visit:
    http://www.stjohn.ie/st-john-news/163-st-john-ambulance-christchurch-rebuild

To get a real idea of what the ambulance personnel went through, visit the link to the article in the Huffington Post at the bottom of the page.

I was actually in Christchurch just over a year ago. Such a shame that such a beautiful city has been so badly damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

http://www.threadless.com/product/2828/Many_Hands/tab,guys/style,shirt

This design is part of Threadless Causes, community-based design for the power of good.

25% from the sale of this tee will go to Architecture for Humanity's efforts to rebuild the city of Christchurch.

• Advertisement

Hehehehehee, I enjoyed this.

Advertisement